Possibly moving to Chattanooga, looking for information..

By Jonathon Braud
From Edwards, Co
Sep 20, 2013
Ironman Traverse, V4. Buttermilks, Bishop, CA

I don't know what areas are good, bad, etc. If anyone could give me any info on living in the area, and climbing in the area, that would be appreciated, greatly!
I've been to Stone Fort, but plan on spending a lot of time at Obed and Tennessee Wall. What else, is out there?
Thanks in advance.

By The Blueprint Part Dank
Sep 21, 2013
Bohemian grove

There's more rock in and around Chattanooga than almost any other city in America. Foster Falls and Deep Creek are obvious destinations for sport. Aside from Stone Fort, you won't go wrong with bouldering at Rock Town or on the Cumberland Trail. T-Wall is the premier trad destination, but Sunset Park is also quite excellent, and if you're down for an adventure, Suck Creek Canyon can keep you occupied for days.

I would highly recommend you load up on some guidebooks.

For sport climbing, Rockery Press is about to release "Chatt Steele" which looks like it will be quite awesome,

And if you're going to T-Wall, you really can't go wrong with ClimbApps guidebook apps for IOS and Android. The T-Wall app is a great deal, and right now the beta version of their Sunset Park app is totally free.

By Jonathon Braud
From Edwards, Co
Sep 21, 2013
Ironman Traverse, V4. Buttermilks, Bishop, CA

Thats good information, man. thank you! I'm stoked to get to climb at all these places!

I saw that Rockery Press is coming out with a new guidebook, so i'll definitely be looking for that.
How's the climbing community there? I'm going to need to find people to climb with. I have 2 crash pads, sport gear, 2 ropes and a small trad rack (slowly building; up to 8 cams, and a set of stoppers right now)

By BHMBen
From The Deeper South
Sep 23, 2013
Post climb snack... <br /> <br />Photo is of Strappo Hughes, taken in the Yosemite Lodge parking lot in 1982 by Russ Walling.

People are friendly. Maybe, contact THIS GUY ...his name is Rob.

By Jonathon Braud
From Edwards, Co
Sep 30, 2013
Ironman Traverse, V4. Buttermilks, Bishop, CA

Anyone have suggestions on places to look for a house to rent? I'd prefer something more rural.

By AdamB
From Charlotte, NC
Sep 30, 2013
Black Boulder Problem, sent after a generous skin donation

I'm moving to Chattanooga in a couple months too, I've looked around in Saint Elmo and Redbank, they're a little outside the city center, and I wouldn't say rural, but suburbish. TBA is in St Elmo, that place is pretty rad. Rural seems like it would be someplace like Soddy Daisy. We decided to live more downtownish, rents are reasonable, and everything is within bikeable distances, plus the new High Point gym and proximity of good existing and pending coffee shops doesn't hurt either. The climbing community seems like a really rad bunch of people from those Ive interacted with thus far. Psyched and super friendly, so basically the polar opposite of what Ive experienced here (here being Charlotte, NC). Basically the next two months cannot pass by fast enough.

By CraigS.
Sep 30, 2013

Rural (farm land):

In Tennessee: Jasper, South Pittsburgh, outskirts of Cleveland, Powells Crossroads, Whitwell, Dayton, Dunlap, Birchwood, deep East Brainerd/Collegedale area.

In Georgia: Fort Olgelthorpe, Chickamauga, Ringgold, Lookout Mountain, Trenton

In Alabama: Anywhere out to Fort Payne.

Rural (Suburbia) - Soddy Daisy, Hixson, Ooltewah, suburban Cleveland, East Brainerd, Collegedale, etc.

By The Blueprint Part Dank
Sep 30, 2013
Bohemian grove

I would steer really clear of Collegedale. It's like Nazi Germany, except instead of racist fascists, you have Seventh Day Adventist, non-racist (generally) fascists. The Collegedale Police Department takes obscene joy in ruining your day, no matter how hard you try to obey the traffic (and other) laws, they'll find a way to fine you,

By Jonathon Braud
From Edwards, Co
Oct 1, 2013
Ironman Traverse, V4. Buttermilks, Bishop, CA

The Blueprint Part Dank wrote:

this is good information! thanks! haha

By CraigS.
Oct 1, 2013

The Blueprint Part Dank wrote:

Soddy Police, though, have always been professional to me. Never gave me crap.

By Daniel H. Bryant
From Colorado Springs, CO
Oct 1, 2013
Hot day at RRCOS

'There's more rock in and around Chattanooga than almost any other city in America'

I grew up in Chattanooga, why do you think I moved to Colorado?

By The Blueprint Part Dank
Oct 1, 2013
Bohemian grove

CraigS. wrote:
Yeah didn't think about that. Usually just do a drive through without stopping and obeying ALL traffic laws so I've never had an issue. Don't even get me started with Benton PD. Soddy Police, though, have always been professional to me. Never gave me crap. Signal Mountain and Red Bank Police are two other departments that can be a bit of an issue. There's a reason most people don't travel through Red Bank anymore.

In my experience. Just obeying the traffic laws won't always protect you. And it's hard to do sometimes especially if you're new to there. They have a penchant for posting changes in speeding limits in hard to see locations, with a cop car posted near where you'd be inadvertently speeding. It's bad news there.