Poke-O-Moonshine Camping

By Goodhue
From Boulder, CO
Aug 11, 2010

Hey, anybody know of any good cheap/free camping near poke-o-moonshine? Also, for a couple hours of Friday night bivy, is the parking area a viable option?

Also, anyone want to hook me up with a googlemaps link location of the cliff? The directions on the page are a little vague. Thanks!

By Adam Catalano
From Albany, New York
Aug 11, 2010
me

Ha Ha. Get off 87 in Keesville (exit 33 I think) just after you pass Poko which is hanging over the highway. Sop up the drool from the floor mats. Turn right and loop back to park at the campground under the main cliff.
Not sure of free camping options but the NYS park camping is rather convenient and helps a hurting state budget :-)

By Tparis
From Pottersville,New York
Aug 11, 2010
fall foliage 5.7+ slab

Adam-last I knew the state had closed that campground due to budget cuts. Are you sure that it is open? There is a small pulloff on the left just south of the cliffs that could be used as a sleep in your car option and also a private campground a few miles south "magic Pines" with some tent sites.

By Greg Kuchyt
Aug 11, 2010
Greenhorn - Solar Collector Wall - RRG, KY

Yeah, ditto to what Tparis said. I've heard second hand of climbers getting ticketed by DEC officers for camping at Poke-O.

By Carl H.
Aug 11, 2010
Belaying at Great Red Book

Just put the following into Google Maps 44.40000N / 73.51W and it will show you the cliff and 87 going right by.

By rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Aug 11, 2010
The traverse out to the Yellow Ridge on the Dogstick Ridge link-up.  Photo by Myriam Bouchard

In Google Earth,

Latitude 44.408130
Longitude -73.504308

By E thatcher
From Plymouth/ North Conway (NH)
Aug 11, 2010
First ascent of the metal arches in my school library...Holderness School

Last I was there the camp ground was indeed closed. Major bummer.

By rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Aug 11, 2010

Magic Pines says they are 5 minutes from Poko; I would have guessed about double that, but they should know, and they're obviously close.

www.magicpines.com/home.html

Tents are $18/night.

gigapan.org/gigapans/27098/snapshots/82723/

By Rob Alexander
From Alta
Aug 12, 2010
on rappel

rgold wrote:
Meanwhile, if you want to check out Poko, there is, for some mysterious reason, an amazing shot of it on Gigapan: gigapan.org/gigapans/27098/snapshots/82723/ You can zoom out to see the whole cliff and zoom in close enough to ust about see individual holds on climbs.

wow, the nose is an impressive feature. i'd hate to get be around when that thing eventually comes off...

By Jim Lawyer
Aug 12, 2010

That gigapan view of Poke-O is amazing. You can see right into the Great Dihedral. Too bad about the leaves, and the fact that it's shot from way to the right.

By JSH
Aug 13, 2010
JSH @ home <br /> <br />photo courtesy of Gabe Ostriker

Oh, man, I love Gigapan. Thanks, Rich (and I only half mean that in the sarcastic, there-goes-my-day sense!).

By Lori Jarvis
May 14, 2011

Magic Pines is the closest private campground. It is just south of Poko about 5-10 minutes. North of the mountain, in/around Keeseville are a number of private campgrounds. AuSable River campground is just off exit 34 (Poko is 33) on I-87. Again 5-10 minutes from Poko. Keeseville has stores, gas stations, post office, etc. The closest state campground is AuSable Point, five to ten minutes further north of Keeseville. There is FREE Camping at Poke-O-Moonshine, but NOT in the campground....it IS officially closed. But...New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation law is that you can camp anywhere on state property as long as there isn't a sign saying you can't. You must camp more than 150 feet from a trail or water source, not above 4000', and don't stay more than 3 days (permits available for longer). There are fledgling efforts underway by the Friends of Poke-O-Moonshine to get camping back at the campground some day, but these are in the early stages. The Friends group will soon have a website that you can check for updates. Good luck with your climb!

By mcarizona
From Flag
May 15, 2011

".... there is, for some mysterious reason, an amazing shot of it on Gigapan..."

That place looks AWESOME!!