Poke-o and spiders web black fly conditions

By Ross Exler
From New York
Jun 7, 2014
GoG
Has anybody been up to poke-o or the spiders web recently? I was hoping to head up next weekend. I know it has been terrible in general. Is there any hope?

By rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Jun 7, 2014
The traverse out to the Yellow Ridge on the Dogsti...
Don't forget about the peregrine falcon closures at Poko (and elsewhere), see dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7870.html .

Poke-o-Moonshine Mountain

A peregrine falcon nest has been confirmed on The Nose of the Main Face. The climbing routes described on pages 46-62 (routes #26 through #77) of Adirondack Rock - A Rock Climber's Guide and listed below are closed. All other routes will be open to climbers.

By Ross Exler
From New York
Jun 7, 2014
GoG
Thanks rgold. Luckily, the climbs that I want to do aren't impacted by the closures.

By Ross Exler
From New York
Jun 9, 2014
GoG
Bump

By BrianKostelnik57
Jun 9, 2014
Havent been to Poke-o or the web yet this season, but ive been to shelving rock a few times over the last couple weeks. the bugs have been out, but haven't been terrible. granted, the northern dacks might be worse, so take it for what its worth...

By Jon Clark
From Philadelphia, PA
Jun 9, 2014
onsight soloing Atman
Was there over the weekend. It's fine. Obviously, bring bug spray.

By rocknice2
From Montreal, Quebec
Jun 9, 2014
BD ice tool fusion2
The last two weekends have had very few bugs. This should be the height of the bug season and it not even close to what it should be. Now, it may just be that the days that I went the temperature wasn't conducive to bugs, either too cool [2 weekends ago] or too warm [last weekend].

By bobmirko
Jun 9, 2014
Not many bugs this weekend but when the sun goes down you better to not be there ;)

By Ross Exler
From New York
Jun 9, 2014
GoG
Thanks everyone. Very good news!

By Derek Doucet
Jun 11, 2014
Ross Exler wrote:

As of yesterday, which featured a slight breeze, the bugs were nowhere to be seen at Poke-O.

By J. Serpico
From Saratoga County, NY
Jun 12, 2014
They were absolutely awful at Wallface and Wilmington Notch last weekend. Bad enough I haven't yet made plans for this weekend. I'd rank them as the worst ever since my encounter at Wallface in 2002, when we were wearing full rain gear in 95F heat and they were biting our eyeballs... No joke.

Some people I know climbed at poko a few weeks ago and said their were none, while we were bitten up further up north. I also heard reports thatthe CP area hasn't been bad.

So you might be ok