Planning a trip south.. suggestions would be awesome!

By Tom D
Feb 10, 2014

Hello all!

I am from the northeast and watching all of these ice climbers has given me the itch to go south and get on some real rock!! however, i am unfamiliar with what states have climbable weather in late march, and have set my sights on going somewhere in Virginia, possibly North Carolina. I was hoping to get some insight into where i can climb around late march and how far south i would have to go to hit the right weather? also any must-do routes would be greatly appreciated. climb on!!

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
Feb 10, 2014
me

pretty much anyplace in NC will be good in late march. even if we get a freak cold spell you can still climb comfortably on the south facing walls. that time of year rain will be more of an issue than cold.

By Russ Keane
Feb 10, 2014
Where's Waldo?

The rock at Rumbling Bald is incredible. Great stuff. You also might enjoy Crowders Mountain for single pitch easy access sport climbing (with some trad) near the Charlotte area. It all depends on your skill level.

Your post is almost too broad. The mountains of western NC is one of the premier climbing areas in the country. It has oodles of good rock and huge places, you are talking thousands of climbs, tons of classics, a lifetime of climbing.

So narrowing it down from there is a deeper conversation than how you've posed it. All I can tell you personally is, Rumbling is sweet.

By Jaime M
From Chattanooga, TN
Feb 10, 2014
Much love for the rock

Pretty much everywhere in the South has climbable weather in March. The only problem is March tends to be a pretty rainy month. You may want to think about having 2 itineraries. The first staying east of the Appalachian mountains going down through Virginia to North Carolina, and the second staying west of the mountains going through Kentucky to Tennessee (Knoxville, Chattanooga, maybe down to Alabama if you want to go that far). Then as the date gets closer, choose the route with the least amount of rain.

By Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Feb 10, 2014
Meme guy

Stone mountain stone mountain stone mountain and bring your nuts!

By Jonathan Dull
From NC High County
Feb 10, 2014
Edge of a Dream

Meme Guy wrote:
bring your nuts!

i.e. not stoppers. the other set.

By Thomas Carson
From Mechanicsburg, PA
Feb 10, 2014
on the Grand, 2012

Tom, if you're free from March 15th through the 23rd, I'm lookin' for a partner. I'm in Central PA lookin' to go south or to Seneca that week.

By nbrown
From western NC
Feb 10, 2014
Top of Shortoff with the Bonsai

Jaime M wrote:

Probably the best overall advice.

By Tom D
Feb 10, 2014

Russ,
I appreciate your input. To be more specific, myself along with a couple close friends are heading to red rocks in early April.. We want to get a long traditional route (up to ~5.8) under our belts just to get the wheels turning again before our trip. I'm looking for warmer weather, and dry, tall rocks. And as far north as possible!

And jamie, i am aware of this and am going to be planning two different itineraries in two different areas weather pending.. thanks for the info!
Gotta love mountain project! Always quick to produce an answer

By Drew Hayes
From Charlotte, NC
Feb 11, 2014
Lost in Space

Russ Keane wrote:

Lol. Don't drive all the way from the northeast to climb at Crowders.

By Eric Chabot
From Thetford Ctr, VT
Feb 11, 2014

I'm planning on heading South (from Vermont) around the same time. Based on regional temps/precip chances, we'll hit either
The New
The Red
Looking Glass/Rumbling Bald
Linville Gorge
Tennessee Wall

Of these the New is the only one I've been to (9.9 on the 'sick'ter scale). Based on what you want it sounds like linville gorge might be good for moderate multi-pitch, but I haven't been there. What say you southerners?

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
Feb 11, 2014
me

looking glass also has quite a few great moderate multi's

By don'tchuffonme
Feb 11, 2014
urrr

Depends on what type of climbing as well. If you like long moderate slab climbing that's warm on cold days with plenty of friction, then do what the Meme Guy suggests. Other than that, single pitch trad and sport doesn't get better than the NRG. Any south or southeast facing wall- particularly Endless Wall will be warm- almost tshirt weather on 45 degree days. This goes for any other of the areas you've mentioned or that have been mentioned to you. Your biggest concern is weather. So pick a place that is relatively close and has been dry for a couple days, and will remain dry for a couple more.

Then once you're there, look at the forecast and plan a subsequent stop or another option should the current one go to crap. As has been mentioned, there is plenty of good climbing in March in the Southeast.

All the places mentioned (except Crowders haha) are stellar in their own way. Your limiting factor will be weather as early spring approaches. Plan accordingly.

By Drew Hayes
From Charlotte, NC
Feb 11, 2014
Lost in Space

If the weather's good, I suggest Linville Gorge. I haven't climbed everywhere in NC yet, but it's my favorite place so far. Beautiful area with long, relaxed routes. Here are the falcon closures for NC:
carolinaclimbers.org/linville-gorge/2014-peregrine-falcon-cl>>>

By Mark Paulson
Feb 11, 2014

If you're trying to get ready for Red Rocks multi-pitch, then Linville (or maybe Seneca) is probably your best bet, as the climbing and pro will translate most directly to RR. Climbing a granite slab with no pro (Stone) would probably be the least like RR you could get.

By nbrown
From western NC
Feb 11, 2014
Top of Shortoff with the Bonsai

If you're looking for long routes then you'll want to plan on NC, or possibly WV. Despite plenty of awesome cragging in those other states they don't have many "long" routes to speak of.

As others have said, Linville Gorge is probably you're best bet for a similar style of climbing.

Late March/earl April should be fine, but keep in mind that Table Rock parking lot (access to NC wall/Ampitheatre) won't be open until April first.

My recommendation would be Shortoff which has 2-4 pitch routes of steep, juggy, gunk-like climbing. Plus they don't close the road there.

It's well worth the drive!