Pinnacle Ridge - Whitney Zone
Narrow East-West ridge that separates the South Fork + North Fork Lone Pine Creek drainages (also separates the South and North sectors of the USFS Mt Whitney zone). East end is the short west ridge of Thor Peak
near Pinnacle Pass (GPS lat long ~ N36.5754 W118.2703, altitude ~ 21150ft / 3700m). West end of this ridge is the east buttress (N36.57398 W118.28673) of the Third Needle.
Uses of this ridge:
- traverse along it from end to end (most likely E to W)
- there's a climb at least 5.10 somewhere on S face.
- access to climbing routes on east side of Third Needle.
- get to or from Thor Peak summit by its short W ridge.
- cross over it between the South and North sectors of Whitney Zone - (more likely useful for S to N, because the N access to/from Pinnacle Pass is short vertical from normal N Fork LP trail route, while S access is a long vertical from nearest good trail)
: All routes in this area require a USFS wilderness permit for either single-day or overnight use. The permit can be requested in advance in January, or sometimes permits are available the day before by walking into the Mt Whitney Visitors Center just south of Lone Pine - (only available at this center, not at any other USFS centers along the Eastside Sierra).
From Whitney Portal trailhead, can go up North Fork Lone Pine Creek by the normal route past Upper Boy Scout Lake, then climb up the North side of Pinnacle Pass.
Or from Whitney Portal trailhead, can go up South Fork Lone Pine Creek to Mirror Lake, then climb up the South side of Pinnacle Pass.
Weather station 16.2 miles from here
2 Total Routes
['4 Stars',0],['3 Stars',0],['2 Stars',1],['1 Star',1],['Bomb',0]
Featured Route For Pinnacle Ridge - Whitney Zone
Pinnacle Pass - South side 3rd 1- 1 I 1 M 1a CA
: High Sierra
: Pinnacle Ridge - Whitney Zo...
Start hiking NW from Mirror Lake toward cliffs. Then NE a ways perhaps on some ledges, perhaps some scrambling. Finish on sand that gets gentler higher up.uses for this route: * reach or get down from the summit of Thor Peak* reach the E end of Pinnacle Ridge, which enables traversing to its W end, leading to the east face routes of the Third Needle of Mt Whitney.* cross over the north sector of the Mt Whitney Zone, by next using the Pinnacle Pass - North sidee...[more] Browse More Classics in CA