Pinnacle Ridge Rock Climbing
Narrow East-West ridge that separates the South Fork + North Fork Lone Pine Creek drainages (also separates the South and North sectors of the USFS Mt Whitney zone). East end is the short west ridge of Thor Peak
near Pinnacle Pass (GPS lat long ~ N36.5754 W118.2703, altitude ~ 21150ft / 3700m). West end of this ridge is the east buttress (N36.57398 W118.28673) of the Third Needle.
Uses of this ridge:
- traverse along it from end to end (most likely E to W)
- there's a climb at least 5.10 somewhere on S face.
- access to climbing routes on east side of Third Needle.
- get to or from Thor Peak summit by its short W ridge.
- cross over it between the South and North sectors of Whitney Zone - (more likely useful for S to N, because the N access to/from Pinnacle Pass is short vertical from normal N Fork LP trail route, while S access is a long vertical from nearest good trail)
: All routes in this area require a USFS wilderness permit for either single-day or overnight use. The permit can be requested in advance in January, or sometimes permits are available the day before by walking into the Mt Whitney Visitors Center just south of Lone Pine - (only available at this center, not at any other USFS centers along the Eastside Sierra).
From Whitney Portal trailhead, can go up North Fork Lone Pine Creek by the normal route past Upper Boy Scout Lake, then climb up the North side of Pinnacle Pass.
Or from Whitney Portal trailhead, can go up South Fork Lone Pine Creek to Mirror Lake, then climb up the South side of Pinnacle Pass.
Weather station 16.2 miles from here
2 Total Climbing Routes
['4 Stars',0],['3 Stars',0],['2 Stars',0],['1 Star',2],['Bomb',0]
Featured Route For Pinnacle Ridge
Pinnacle Pass - North side Easy 5th 1+ 3 I 5 M 1c CA
: High Sierra
: ... : Pinnacle Ridge
Interesting way to ascend to or descend from the E end of Pinnacle Ridge, which gives access to/from the South Fork side of the Whitney Zone, or the summit of Thor Peak, or to the traverse of Pinnacle Ridge leading to the east face routes of the Third Needle of Mt Whitney.Several fun thoughtful moves along the way. Perhaps in the downward direction some might say the difficulty is only class 4 (if the definition of class 4 includes a short overhang with somebody else to guide the feet, and a tho...[more] Browse More Classics in CA