Pants for tall guys (climbing/ski)

By Paul-B
Dec 19, 2012
Flakes of Wrath

I wear 32x38 in jeans, this makes it very hard to find climbing or ski pants that fit me. I pretty much only wear "manpris" to climb in, and I have one pair of MH ski pants in the "long" that i have had for many years now. I would guess they are around 33x35s. They are a little short, but with boots, it works okay, but I always feel a bit restricted. I was wondering if anyone out there has suggestions for pants ski or rock that would work for my not-average dimensions.

By Kevin Connolly
From CO
Dec 19, 2012

mh stopped making tall sizes, i think marmot gave it up recently too. arcteryx seems good but im 32x36 so may be worse for you. north face may still do some tall sizes too.

By alpinejason
From Eau Claire
Dec 19, 2012

A friend is 6'6" (don't know his pant size) but he swears by First Ascent everything. They have screaming deals occasionally and he stocks up on the tall sizes. Easy to return to the store when buying online.

By ccerling
From Boston, MA
Dec 19, 2012
me

I've heard pretty good stuff about this company and they take their "Guaranteed Fit" claim pretty seriously.

beyondclothing.com/

By Martin le Roux
From Superior, CO
Dec 19, 2012
Stairway to Heaven

Arcteryx tall sizes work for me, but I'm 32x34. If you're 32x38 then custom clothing from someone like BeyondClothing may be your only option. The downside with BeyondClothing is that you're ordering sight unseen. You'll get an accurate fit to your waist size and inseam, but it's hard to tell up-front whether the overall look & style is what you want.

By WilliamAllen
Dec 21, 2012

Arborwear has 32-36. www.arborwear.com/products/pants/tech-pants
These will last > 100 off width pitches at Vedauwoo

By Mikecease
Dec 21, 2012

Patagonia will sell you unhemmed pants. Obviously only in the ones without zippers etc..

By Linnaeus
From New England/ Baltimore
Dec 23, 2012

NWAlpine can likely make you something in a lenght that works. I'm only 6'3", 32x34, and it's really hard for me, so I can imagine how difficult for you it is.

One option I've wanted to try is use normal pants or tall size, then take down the hem and add to it with additional scuff guard type material. If integrated with the scuff guard (i.e. remove and replace it with your new material) it could work pretty well, and you don't need to use a breathable shell material down over ski boots as you can get away with a simple waterproof nonbreathable fabric i.e. cordura.

By smithb
From Flagstaff, Az
Dec 23, 2012

+1 for arborwear. they're a small-ish company and will probably work with you if you need a weird size