NRG: Rogers? Whats the deal?

By cms829
Apr 21, 2012
 <br />First Ascent (roped solo) of "Choss N Moss" C2+ (Clean Aid) @ sunset.

Looking to head back down to the new in the next couple weeks or so. Would like to camp (or other dirtbag accommodations) but when I was there 3 weeks ago Rogers was closed and taped off. What gives? Why did he close?? Any plans to open back up? If not can someone give me the inside dirt on a cheap place to pitch my tent?

By Mike Manni
Apr 22, 2012
Me

I was there last weekend with the same question to why Roger's wasn't open. From what I gathered from some of the local climbers was that he was just sick of the bullshit and was taking some time away from the scene.

Cantrell's AKA Ultimate Rafting is a great place to stay. It is on the way to Roger's. Tell them you want the climber's discout and they will only chrge you 8 bucks a night with showers included. Oh yeah, there is a bar located on the campgrond with dirt cheap drinks.

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Apr 22, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

By john macleanakawhitey
From north providence, RI
Apr 22, 2012

Sorry to hear Roger is having medical problems, hope that things are improving for him. If he is permanantly out of business with the campground the new river scene is diminished. Roger, if you see this post, I hope you are on the road to good health.

By csproul
From Rancho Cordova, CA
Apr 22, 2012
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background

muttonface wrote:
Roger has been fighting illness for the past few years. From what I understand, he had a great offer on the table for his property, and with his deteriorating health, took the offer. I don't blame him one bit. I wish him well. Chestnut Creek is a decent campground. It's not necessarily a climber's campground, although now with Roger's no longer in operation, it may sway that way a little. Brian, the owner, is a really laid back guy and bends over backwards to accomodate people. The sites are fairly cheap (although not as cheap as Roger's was) and the showers are nice. If you're going for an extended stay, there are places to backcountry camp if that's your thing, but beware of how close or visible your stuff is to drunken locals. A friend of mine got ransacked pretty badly last summer.

By sanz
From Raleigh, NC
Apr 22, 2012
One of my first trad leads, on Ooga Chocka at Crowder's Mountain.

Chestnut is pretty nice. The owner is kind of a weirdo though. The facilities are definitely nicer than Roger's but there is no scene to speak of. Super close to endless wall access, which is a nice perk.

By Kenny Clark
From State College, PA
Apr 23, 2012

Bump on the AAC campground info. Anyone?

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Apr 23, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

csproul wrote:
Mutton, how recent is is this information? Last I heard, all his offers fell through (as of a week or two ago) and he has not been able to sell the place. There is some talk of him re-openeing, but I don't know how reliable this information is. My opinion of Chestnut varies greatly from yours. The facilities are nice, but I really hate staying there and would rather spend my $$ almost anywhere else. Whatever happened to the AAC campground that was supposed to open there?

This information is pretty recent, within the last few weeks, although I cannot vouch for 100% accuracy. The guy I got it from has been staying at Rogers for most of his summers for about 5 years, and he's usually spot on. Now, that's not to say that he didn't garner that info from an unreliable source. Supposedly the park bought it, but again, it's just heresay. Why do you hate Brian's place? Just out of curiosity. To each his own; I didn't have a bad time when I stayed there, but it was off season. I'm gonna be there for Memorial Day, but I'll go somewhere else if it just plain sucks for peak season. Thanks.

By Air Alexy
Apr 23, 2012

I've heard that the AAC campground is supposed to open this fall. In the meantime, there is absolutely no room for anyone trying to camp within 50 miles of the gorge. You should all probably just stay away.

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Apr 23, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

Kenny Clark wrote:
Anybody else have any info on Roger's? Best wishes to Roger for a speedy recovery. I only met him once, but he made me and my wife feel at home at his place. Bump on the AAC campground info. Anyone?

According to the AAC:

The campground will reside on a 40 acre parcel.

Finished product will have 60 sites.

Car campers and walk-ins only. No RVs.

By Kenny Clark
From State College, PA
Apr 23, 2012

muttonface wrote:
According to the AAC: The campground will reside on a 40 acre parcel. Finished product will have 60 sites. Car campers and walk-ins only. No RVs. "If progress allows, the AAC hopes to have primitive camping available for climbers before the end of the year."

Thanks, mutton. Good to know.

By climbamt
Apr 23, 2012

Update from the AAC-

americanalpineclub.org/p/aac-to-break-ground-new-river-gorge>>>

By budman
From Moab,UT
Apr 23, 2012
LCC

Supposedly Roger sold the place to The Boy Scouts.

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Apr 23, 2012
You stay away from mah pig!

budman wrote:
Supposedly Roger sold the place to The Boy Scouts.

Yes, this is incorrect.

The crowds at the NRG have been nonexistent this year. Everyone should just go to the Red; there's plenty of awesome camping there that will make Roger's aficionados feel right at home.

By Sam Stephens
Apr 24, 2012
Top half of Melifluous

csproul wrote:

By Sam Stephens
Apr 24, 2012
Top half of Melifluous

I've always gone out f my way to be polite, have cash on hand, be quiet, pick up other peoples messes, and generally be maintenance free when I'm there. He has to micro manage, or feels the need to so much that it's a little nuts. I always put up with his creepiness and have been as polite and respectful to him as possible, but he seems to have a complex unfortunately. It's too bad, he has a really nice place.

By Morgan Patterson
Apr 24, 2012
Stoked...

how much did roger sell for???

By Nick Stayner
From The Magic City
Apr 24, 2012
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you just walk a little ways into the woods from any of the climbing trailheads and throw down? I recall doing that a number of times during college and never had any hassle... though the land did show up to the TH one morning and said some rednecks had thrown a chain around one of the portajohns and tried to drive off with it...

By csproul
From Rancho Cordova, CA
Apr 24, 2012
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background

Sam Stephens wrote:
Last time I was there Brian blatantly insulted me, my girlfriend and our friend after taking our money. I've stayed there before and dealt with him encroaching on our privacy to collect firewood money or camping fees. He's literally been standing five feet outside of my tent when I woke up once. We had gotten in late that night and stopped at his board up front to see what was open. Some sites were marked as closed, some reserved, but the whole mess is a lot to decipher, so we decided to go grab a spot and then come back and sign in. We found a spot between two other parties that were camping and set up. The site didn't have it's number sign on it, but we thought it looked open. Not 5 minutes later Brian comes flying around the corner (flying by us standards) in his pickup. Now I've always tried to go above and beyond to be polite and friendly to Brian because he is very particular. So Brian came up to us and started in with, "What are you guys doing on this site, it's closed. I haven't cleared this site for safety yet! " We stated we were sorry, but it looked open and fine to stay so we stopped and were going to go back to the office and put ours name on the board. His words were "Well I can't be responsible for this, this just isn't safe. I haven't checked this site off. That picnic table could collapse on you and kill everyone or that tree could fall over at any minute. (nothing appeared that unsafe). You guys need to take responsibility for this. (we agreed to be responsible). All right, well I guess that's $7 per person, so $21. (I paid for everyone trying to get him out of there). I have to get a crew out here to finish cleaning up and open up these sites, Rome wasn't built in a day you know." Then he says "Its too bad some people can't read and comprehend the signs. They're posted up on the board. It's sad some people are so ignorant." then he turns and leaves. Brian's front porch is a cluster of hand written notes and signs everywhere, trying to decipher whats new and what's old up there at 11 at night was not high on my list. Needless to say, we'll never stay there again. I would have been happier if he had just said, "this site is closed guys, I nt have any more open right nw, y'all need to leave."

This has been my experience with him too. Almost every time I have stayed there this kind of confrontation has occurred despite every effort on my part to remain courteous. This experience is not unique and has been echoed by at least a dozen of my climbing partners. He also makes all the woman-campers I know very uncomfortable and many of them have outright told me they will not stay at Chestnut. Unfortunately, with the close of Roger's, I'm sure Chestnut will have no problem staying full.

By csproul
From Rancho Cordova, CA
Apr 24, 2012
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background

budman wrote:
Supposedly Roger sold the place to The Boy Scouts.

I'm pretty sure this deal fell through and is not going to happen. There may be other interested buyers, but I had a pretty reliable source tell me that the Boy Scout deal never materialized.

By Morgan Patterson
Apr 24, 2012
Stoked...

How much money is Roger asking for his property? Anyone?

By csproul
From Rancho Cordova, CA
Apr 24, 2012
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background

Morgan Patterson wrote:
How much money is Roger asking for his property? Anyone?

Call and ask him, I'll bet someone on this board could give you his number. But I'm pretty sure he wanted 7 figures and wanted the sale to include his house and the adjacent house that he owns.

By Morgan Patterson
Apr 24, 2012
Stoked...

7 figures huh... Sounds unreasonable. But then again if it was reasonable he would have sold it already to the MANY other interested parties.

By Anthony Nguyen
From Philadelphia
Apr 24, 2012
Top of High Exposure

Check out NRG Gateway center.

www.campingroadtrip.com/campgrounds/campground/campground/15>>>

Good prices, facilities and location. Waterstone will send you here.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Apr 24, 2012
El Chorro

I worked in Fayetteville and lived at Rogers off and on for a few years. I haven't seen him since last year, but as far as I know, Roger is not incredibly ill. He has had blood pressure and heart related problems in the past, but I don't' think illness is the reason he is selling. I think he is just tired of doing the same thing every night, all year long. He was noticeably absent during much of the 2011 fall season.

It has gotten a lot louder and harder to manage over the years. 2010 saw all sorts of drama including a lot of drunk driving, freeloaders, drug addicts, an arrest, a restraining order, bank fraud, theft, etc. None of this had anything to do with Roger, but since it was people who were living on his land that were getting into this kind of trouble, he ultimately had to deal with some of it and definitely ate some money in the end. Sad thing is, it wasn't even the core group of climbers that was causing all the trouble... just a few lost souls.

I wasn't around enough in 2011 to say if this sort of mess had anything to do with Roger's closing, but it certainly did not help.

If the Boy Scouts haven't bought the land yet, then it's probably safe to say that the deal fell through, as this was being discussed nearly six months ago. I was also told that he wanted a lot of money for the land... obviously no one has paid up yet, or at least if they have, they haven't done anything with the property yet.

The AAC campground was supposed to be over near the Bridge Buttress, but I don't much about the deal and when it will get going.

Brian at Chestnut Creek is a complete asshole and I will NEVER EVER give him any of my money again.

Property is still cheap around Fayetteville. I'm thinking of buying a place if I can find someone to take care of it, since I live in London. It's the best way to spend time up there, and it is a good investment as long as you don't buy a shit hole. Anyone is free to email me if they are interested in bouncing some ideas around.