Newbie needs partners for Northeastern adventures.

By Goody
Feb 20, 2014
me

Hi! I'm brand new to climbing. 21-Year-old, experience with backpacking/hiking and really want to get into climbing. Looking for some partners/party that doesn't mind helping along a Noob. I'm in very good physical shape, I love the outdoors and the cold, and I wouldn't mind ice climbing as well.

I have time between this weekend, next weekend and then after the end of March and I really want to go backpacking/climbing with a party/partner. Anywhere in the Northeast is game, and eventually I would like to expand to taking trips for this sole purpose elsewhere in the US.

Thanks! :)

I previously posted this inquiry, but ended up too swamped at the academy to do anything fun, but now i am revamped and ready to go on some adventures. I am excited to meet new people, and do some climbing!

By Jeffrey Dunn
Feb 20, 2014

www.usma.edu/climbing/SitePages/Climbfest.aspx

By Goody
Feb 20, 2014
me

Jeffrey Dunn wrote:
I see the WP crew over at the gunks often as a group. Silly question, but have you reached out to the WPCC? www.usma.edu/climbing/SitePages/Climbfest.aspx

Everyone asks me this. XD

I had previously, but it's a competitive team. The kids on it have a lot of experience, from what I gathered last year when I inquired.

By Jeffrey Dunn
Feb 20, 2014

That being said, check your PM.

By Goody
Feb 20, 2014
me

Jeffrey Dunn wrote:
Understood. I guess my thought would be that you are incredible close to a community of climbers, and if theres enough climbers to have a competitive team then theres just as many (if not more) novices around who are looking for the same experiences you are. I would try reaching out again, seeing who is going on what trips and specifically asking what is the normal path for getting the experience necessary to climb with the team. Also, when I see the team out climbing at the gunks, they are typically leading 5.10 trad which is hardly what I would consider some sort of "competitive team" of which you would need to be excluded. That being said, check your PM.

Thank you, I appreciate your advice.
However, with groups at USMA they are funded on the academy's dime a lot of the time, which is why these clubs are fairly competitive to become a part of (let alone, travel with). As a second semester junior, they are looking for younger noobs to develop who will be leaders on the team in future years, anyway! In my previous inquiries, I was told that most of them "climbed in high school" But again, thank you.

By M Sprague
From New England
Feb 20, 2014

I can't believe you haven't gotten a zillion offers to take you climbing. If I was remotely near your age and area I would. What is the matter with the climbers around there?

Even if not joining the climbing club, do you have access to meet the members? Most climbers are pretty friendly in person and would introduce you to other climbers even if they weren't able to take you around. If nothing else, is there a decent climbing gym nearby? If you took a quick class there you would meet people and could branch out your contacts from there.

By john strand
From southern colo
Feb 20, 2014

Mark- goody isn't going out to Green's with you

By M Sprague
From New England
Feb 20, 2014

Hahaha, I know that. She actually sounds like the hike wouldn't bother her though. She would be used to humping a full pack around :)

By jdrago
From Rosendale, NY
Feb 20, 2014

I live in Rosendale. It's about 15 minutes from the gunks. I'm out climbing a few days a week and I work at the local gym as well. If you ever want to get out let me know. I really enjoy taking people out and showing them how much fun climbing is.

By Goody
Feb 22, 2014
me

jdrago wrote:

Awesome! The Gunks are beautiful-- I will be in contact, as my schedule opens up. =) Thank you

By Nick Goldsmith
Feb 22, 2014

Mark. I think you are missing a great opertunity here! My guess is that Goody is very good at carrying heavy packs:) You should be able to talk her into carrying the drill, batteries, 4ft bar and the static rope:)

By Brasky
Feb 22, 2014

Hey you should check out the rock climbing gym in New Paltz NY the Inner Wall on wedensday and thursday nights its 5 bucks to boulder and there is a ton of locals friendly atmosphere you should check it out

-Good luck

By mc12climber
Feb 23, 2014

The WP climbing team has become super lame ever since they built that gym wall. They turned into a bunch of gym rats who favor exclusiveness over forming a strong accepting climbing culture. Sunny high 40's/low 50ish afternoon...screw climbing outside on the real rock wall, lets stay indoors and practice hundreds of boulder dyno moves so we can perform well at the indoor climbing comp in nyc next week. LAME.

Too bad I'm not there anymore. I set up my schedule one semester so I had no afternoon classes, and I would be on the road to the Gunks after lunch all the time. Always was looking for new partners.

Ask around and I bet there's a pretty decent climber who decided he didn't want to gym it up all day and train for comps. Plus most guys don't mind taking girls climbing....

By Optimistic
From New Paltz
Feb 23, 2014

You might want to fill in more of your profile so that folks can get an idea of what you're comfortable with.

Also, it looks from the profile as though you're not participating in the Partner Finder. Caveat: because (by your own description) you are very inexperienced, you probably don't have the skills to evaluate whether a stranger you meet on here is a safe partner or not. A day out with a guide could be a helpful investment in that regard, if you aren't able to locate an experienced mentor.

By RWG
Feb 23, 2014

Goody,

I used to be a faculty member at WP and was a climbing instructor for DPE as well as an OR/assistant coach for the climbing team. You may want to get involved with the climbing club as opposed to the climbing team; cows and firsties with the club get out to the Gunks (spring and fall) and the Catskills (winter) quite a bit. There are usually a dozen or so active cadet and faculty/staff climbers every academic year who are not affiliated with the climbing team - these individuals are always looking for partners and always looking to get out. Talk to the cadets on the climbing team and club - they know who these folks are.

Mc12climber, the change in focus of the climbing team was not the decision of the former Mountaineering Team (now climbing team). All of the competitive sports teams were evaluated by the Supt five years ago - as part of this process, the Mountaineering Team was given an ultimatum to either become competitive (and join the collegiate climbing series) or be disbanded. And, you can't beat Navy and Air Force in mountaineering - but, they can be beat in a climbing competition.

Rob G