Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
new to outdoor bouldering

By paul cadle
Jul 21, 2012

I've been bouldering for a little while now, but has been limited to indoor bouldering and I have been wanting to try the outdoors. What do I need to know that will be different?

By Peter Franzen
From Phoenix, AZ
Jul 21, 2012
Belay

Footholds will range from small to non-existent. You can expect to struggle with the fact that you won't be able to push as hard with your legs as you can in the gym.

Focus on your footwork before anything else and you'll do fine.

By Jak P
Jul 21, 2012
Back for Redemption

Starting to climb outside can be a little frustrating when you are use to climbing inside mainly because it is a lot harder for you to find hold and understand the beta. When you start climbing outside just focus on having fun and realize that you can pretty much just use anything on the face, you are no longer limited using the hold that has a certain color tape on it. Also it's nice to go with someone who knows the area a little as they will get you on routs that are known to be good and fun and will save you some time of looking for them, unless thats what you like. Also they will probably have crash pads!!

By AdamB
From Charlotte, NC
Jul 21, 2012
Black Boulder Problem, sent after a generous skin donation

you have to put the tape on yourself beforehand.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Jul 21, 2012
Bocan

Honestly indoor climbing is very unlike outdoor. Sure you stay strong and get your moves down, but that's where it kinda ends.

By dannl
Jul 21, 2012

Spotting is more important because even with pads, landings can be bad - don't get impaled or broken.

By s.price
From PS,CO
Jul 21, 2012
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Just say no to tic marks. Might as well be following tape indoors.
Work on memory instead of stooping to tic marks.

By Leeroy
Jul 21, 2012

This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.