New to Chicago Area

By Chris Kelley
From Libertyville, Illinois
Jan 22, 2014

Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I just moved to Libertyville from Arizona 3 weeks ago. Haven't really met many people yet, outside of the older folks at my company lol, and was hoping to meet some like minded outdoor/climbing enthusiasts on here. Sounds like I need to go check out Hidden Peak for some climbing, but it's always more fun to go climb with other people! haha

By Woodchuck ATC
Jan 23, 2014
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Skip it,,,head out west to Vertical Endeavours in Wheaton/Warrenville area, just off the I-88 tollway at Winfield Drive. Bigger gym, tons of people to meet, and auto belays if you have to climb on your own.

By Craig T
From Chicago, IL
Jan 23, 2014

Libertyville is closer to North Wall in Crystal Lake, so thats also an option. I usually advocate for HP and Off Belay, and by all means go there if you're a boulderer and have a reason to be in the city, but it'll probably be easier to stick to the suburban gyms - I've done the commute from the north burbs to HP after work and its not exactly pleasant.

By cfuttner
Jan 23, 2014

My advice. Move away. Quickly. And don't look back. Short of that, if you lived closer to the city I'd say go to Hidden Peak. Awesome people even if it is a bit small a only bouldering. Libertyville? I can't get past Evanston. Holy crap VE??!! That's an hour away!

By Woodchuck ATC
Jan 31, 2014
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

cfuttner wrote:

Screw all those indoor gyms for softies...get out here and ice climb in south suburbs next weekend, Feb.8th. We got big ice, and plenty of tool rentals if you need them. Bring food, we're having a cookout or chili fest too that night. WE climb day or night.

By Brett R
From Cary, IL
Feb 7, 2014

Hey whats up Chris. I am looking for new people to climb with this season as my partner just moved to CO. What kind of climbing do you like? I'm not really into gym climbing, but I like to get outside several times a year. Hit me up if you want to grab a beer.

By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 11, 2014
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Come down to do some ice on Wed. night, the 12th. About 6:30PM we start. Should be a bit warmer too.

By Juggler
Feb 12, 2014
Ice at SR

Woodchuck ATC wrote:

Ice Climbing info-- Full Moon climbing TONIGHT!