New LCC Bouldering Topo

By Jack Maberry
Mar 27, 2013
Hey folks,

I'm sure that any other bouldering locals share my frustration with the lack of a decent guidebook for bouldering in LCC, especially considering the quality of bouldering to be found there. There is a decent amount of information available online between mountain project and wikiboulder, but I personally am a member of the "electronic guidebooks are a pain in the ass" party. Especially considering neither of those resources are easily printed, and are far from comprehensive. The other (and best) option is getting your hands on a copy of The Bouldering Guide to Utah (AKA the Black Bible), but those are in short supply and currently go for $200 used on amazon.

I've been thinking about it and would be willing to put in the work to compile a new topo for LCC bouldering. This would be free, in pdf format and designed to be printed. It would be a synthesis of the current available resources (mountain project, wikiboulder, black bible) as well as any and all updated and expanded info I can get from other locals. Before I actually started putting time into it, I wanted to get a feel for what people would think of this. For any locals and visiting boulderers, is this a resource everyone would be psyched to have or would I be wasting my time? Thanks for any input!

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Mar 28, 2013
Andrew Gram
I'll sell my Black Bible for $150 - mint condition.

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Mar 28, 2013
The route in it's entirety.
That's an excellent deal! Seems to me Jack that most of the bouldering information these days is passed around by word of mouth, and much is held close to the vest with new development continuing.

By Alex Quitiquit
From Salt Lake City
Mar 28, 2013
meow

Take the deal.

By Boissal
From Small Lake, UT
Mar 28, 2013
Alex Quitiquit wrote:
There is a new guide for bouldering in Utah and it's fairly comprehensive... but it sucks when it comes to actual topos (i.e. pictures or accurate drawings of the boulders) Take the deal.

It will make you feel like a beast when you send Smiley Left V7 though...

I wonder how many new problems aren't in the bible only in LCC. Compiling something exhaustive for the state is going to be a very tall ordeal, even copy pasting existing info from the books (which you shouldn't you fucking leech).
Maybe stick to an area specific document? Walking around Joes with your iPad connected to the Proj, the Black Bible and Isaac's new book still leaves you wondering what a third of the problems are...

By sevrdhed
Mar 29, 2013
I too, have a brand new, mint condition, black bible. I'm not willing to sell it. I'm just bragging.

By Brian in SLC
Mar 29, 2013
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
Me three. Two, actually. Pre and post recall.

By Mark Lewis
From Salt Lake City, Utah
Mar 29, 2013
So I have gathered there was some controversy concerning that book, hence it's out of print. I've never heard the details though - I really love my black bible, those guys put a ton of work into creating it.

Anyone know the back story?

By Price
From SLC, UT
Apr 3, 2013
Mark Lewis wrote:
Anyone know the back story?

You mean ... the "black story"?

I'll see myself out.

By Anson Call
From Provo, UT
Mar 17, 2014
Profile pic
I've got a Black Bible for sale, $140 shipped.

mountainproject.com/v/fs-a-bou...

Just in case anyone here would be interested.