New Edelweiss "perform 3" ropes question

By Brassmonkey
Oct 8, 2012
Brass monkey
So way back in the day I bought a really cheap Edelweiss 10.5 mil rope. Regardless of the reputation some have given these ropes the thing held up to anything and everything I threw at it and it still looks brand new hanging in my gear room, though it hasnt been used for a few years.

My trad rope got cut in half today when a rock fell on it and it needs replaced. I'm considering this rope:

gearexpress.biz/Merchant2/merc...

Does anyone have any experience with the new line?

Or should I just bite the $15 and get this in a 70m bicolor:

moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/pro...

By 1Eric Rhicard
Oct 8, 2012
It is a good sized roof. Photo: Jimbo
70M and bicolor. It's the only way to go if you have the cha ching.

By Brassmonkey
Oct 8, 2012
Brass monkey
They are both 70m bicolor ropes. I was being more specific to the brands if you have ever climbed on a new Edelweiss.

By Josh Kornish
From Missoula, MT
Oct 8, 2012
Humboldt Bouldering
I've had the Zen Arc for about two years and the rope is a work horse. Great rope!

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Oct 8, 2012
I have had two Edelweiss ropes, both bicolors. Both were excellent, and I would reccommend them. The first was an older model, a 9.9. The more recent was the Energy Arc 9.5; I think it was a similar model to the one you are looking at, just one diamter down. It was a great rope, handled well, and held up to abuse. It didn't "fuzz out" and get really thick like the older Edelweiss models used to.

I like how, with Edelweiss, you can get a 70 meter bicolor for under $200. With most other brands, you'll probably pay $250 for that rope. Plus, I think that the Edelweiss quality is just as good as some of the more expensive brands.

The Sterling rope woud also be excellent; I don't think you could go wrong with either.

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Oct 9, 2012
Me scaring years off my mom's life
I've got that exact Edelweiss. Love it. It's my third Edelweiss and I don't ever feel like my ropes don't hold up against my friends' more expensive ones.

By divnamite
From New York, NY
Oct 9, 2012
Edelweiss are bomber, I got the 70M bi-color as my workhorse, still look great.

By mattm
From TX
Oct 9, 2012
Grande Grotto
I'll add to the support of Edelweiss. I too had a 9.9mm BiColor that got WORKED and still looked great after many years. I haven't had nearly the same luck with Sterling or most other brands. (Frankly, I don't get the Sterling love- they're nice ropes but pricey for what you get)

Get the Edelweiss, That's exactly what I'm running right now - very nice

By Brassmonkey
Oct 9, 2012
Brass monkey
Thanks for the advice guys! Edelweiss 9.8 bicolor has been ordered.

By michaeltarne
Oct 9, 2012
Good choice. I have the same rope and it's gotten used and abused and still keeps on going. It's a steal at the price they're asking.

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
Oct 9, 2012
I have used the Curve ARC 9.8mm for sport climbing. It is a pretty good rope. It has one over one sheath weaving which is an awesome feature. The only downside is that the rope stretches a lot, which is undesirable for me because I do not like hitting the ground.

By doze
From Denver, CO
Oct 10, 2012
the monkey van
I'm very surprised to see all these positive comments as my experience with Edelweiss wasn't good at all. At least the cheapest models that i used.

The first I got 4 years ago was 70m bicolor 10.5. I had a 60m Bluewater for my workhorse, so I was only using this new rope about 10 times over the next year on longer routes. That was enough to make it ridiculously fluffy. Feeding it through grigri or even atc was a nightmare. After that I was mostly using it for tr solo setups with minitraxion and got another year out of it.

Less than a year ago my partner got Edelweiss himself. It got fluffy just after couple months of weekend/afterwork sport, now it's completely dead with deteriorating sheath and stiff core.

To compare it to a nicer rope: That bluewater that i got 5 years ago is still alive despite the fact that i cut it down to 30 m because of several core shots. Sheath on undamaged part is still smooth and core provides a nice soft catch. I use it in gym all the time.

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
Oct 10, 2012
Imaginate
Edelweiss makes great ropes at a great price. I have doubles a skinny 70m, and a cheapo 60m that I use the most, all have held up great.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Oct 10, 2012
Middle
My Edelweiss rope has been great.

By AKM1878
Oct 11, 2012
I have used a few edelweiss single ropes as well as a set of doubles. I have been impressed with these ropes as well.

I'm not a fan of sterling ropes.