New Climbing News Format Feedback

By Søren Kierkegaard
Dec 5, 2012

Hi everyone,

I like the change that you've made on the main page with the Climbing News. Having the thumbnail images of each article and a mini-description is awesome.

However, can you add the dates of each article for the Rock & Ice portion? Currently, there are no dates for the articles. Dates are helpful because it is a lot easier to see the new content while quickly skimming the main page for updates.

Just a thought. Thanks,

SK

By Benji Palmer
From Boone, NC
Dec 7, 2012

I am going to disagree with Soren here, I actually don't like the thumbnails whatsoever. The home page is cluttered and ad-like whereas it used to be simple, clean, and easy to read. The thumbnails themselves seem to tell you little to nothing about the article they are attached to. In addition, rather than having important or engaging headlines posted, we now have headlines mixed with random (and in some cases old) promotional material from contributing organizations.

If thumbnails are the way MP is going, I would like to see an approach to the home page that matches the earlier simplicity and cleanliness. I have to ask though, do we really need them? MP has been a wonderfully ad-free space, and I'm not sure that having thumbnails next to headlines actually improves the site.

Thank you MP Team for the wonderful site you all run!

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
How I Send

Where's the Alpinist News Wire?

By Benji Palmer
From Boone, NC

Tits McGee wrote:
Where's the Alpinist News Wire?

Seconded.

By JaredG
From Tucson, AZ

Tits McGee wrote:
Where's the Alpinist News Wire?

On left side, down low. Below the most recent forum posts, and below the addspace.

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
How I Send

JaredG wrote:

The Top Climbing Quarterly, relegated to "below the fold." What a shame.

By Keith Robinson
Fitzroy09

I agree with Benji Palmer and Tits McGee on this one. I think the thumbnails are too busy.

Why is Five Ten one of the news feeds? How about BD, La Sportive? Why not keep R&I, Climbing and Alpinist up top and bump company feeds below?

By matt davies
Dec 7, 2012

Truly it is a heart-rending conundrum. The Alpinist News Wire is cast aside to founder among the rocky shoals of an app ad, while the soulless commercialism of R&I and 5/10 ascend to dominate the Prime Real (5th) Estate of climbing's bourgeois website of choice. (too clever by 1/2?)
To what soulless depths have we plunged when the Father of Existentialism does not have the time to digest the meaty stuff of R&I thumbnails without clear dating? Is Tits McGee to be the lone advocate for a substantive source of heady accounts of dudes getting gnar in the vert?
For shame MP!

By Søren Kierkegaard

Matt,

For what happened to your existential inquiry from yesterday?

I was going to respond... but can no longer view it.

By Dr. Crankenstein
From San Diego, Ca
Summit of Lower Cathedral Spire

Alpinist has now been moved to the front of my bookmarks. Problem fixed.

By matt davies

Mr. Kierkegaard,
My inquiry was summarily deleted. Sadly, there is little tolerance of intellectual curiosity or playful expositions prompted by the posting of one of the great intellects of Western thought here on MP.
Perhaps you could do me an honor, and avoid the ire of the moderators, by satisfying my humble query as to how hard you might crank?
After I have digested what is sure to be your mind-numbingly sick response, we could move onto weightier issues which have occupied the salons of intellectuals throughout history, such as daisy-chain or rope for PAS?

Humbly and respectfully yours,

matt

By Alex Quitiquit
From Salt Lake City
meow

Honestly, it looks kind of awkward now.

just my 2 'sends'

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Slope on a rope

Alex Quitiquit wrote:
Honestly, it looks kind of awkward now. I wouldn't be surprised if you found out from the online publications, i.e. rock and ice, climbing, that their viewership directed from MP.com hasn't increased all that much from the change. We all can clearly read, having just a text headline is more congruent with the rest of the MP site. just my 2 'sends'

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Dec 10, 2012
How I Send

matt davies wrote:
Is Tits McGee to be the lone advocate for a substantive source of heady accounts of dudes getting gnar in the vert? For shame MP!

What separates Rock & Ice from Climbing and Alpinist - Advertising Dollars or Quality of Content?

Sincerely,
Tits McGee
Internet Hardman &
Lone Advocate for a substantive source of heady accounts of dudes getting gnar in the vert