New Climber looking for partner(s) in Moab

By Mel.
Jan 28, 2014
Just me
Hello all.

I'm new to Moab, as well as climbing. Shortly after I arrived here I joined up with a group of French climbers. We spent a week climbing down in Indian Creek where I fell in love with cracks! I'm dying to get back out. I'd also like to try some sport/slab/trad, but need a partner. I should probably mention that I'm a chick and am slightly petite. So, I might not be the best person to belay for a big dude. Just sayin'.

If you're willing to help a newbie along, I can promise that it will be nothing less than interesting...and hopefully fun! Thanks!

Melissa-the TN Gypsy

By muzik311
From sedona, az
Feb 9, 2014
bends of horseshoes
Hi Melissa ! I'm pretty new to Moab myself and also a chick that is new to rock climbing ! So we are in the same boat!! I'm excitied for this warmer weather !! Hope to connect !

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
Feb 10, 2014
me
dude, you can show up at wall street on any warm day and hook up with someone. although there are less people in moab now, you know the ones that are will be hard core climbers not just tourists. the big bend boulders are another good place.

also, stop by the lazy lizard hostel, a lot of climbers stay there.

By Mel.
Feb 10, 2014
Just me
George- Haha! That's awesome cause I happen to live at the Lizard right now. There are currently a few of us here who want to climb but lack the necessary gear. And you're so right, climbers at Wall Street and Big Bend have been wonderful. I've been out to both areas a couple times recently and have had no problem finding people willing to let me jump on. That's one of the things I love about climbers! Such an incredible community! Maybe we'll cross paths out on the rock one day soon.

Crystal- Got your email and will get in touch with to set up a time to get together. Might be going down to Indian Creek this weekend or next to climb with one of the other peeps who's responded to this thread. Sure wish I had a rope and protection of my own. Cheers!

By Mel.
Feb 10, 2014
Just me
Crystal- I just looked at your pic and had a good laugh. We bouldered together a couple days ago! And we were at the Marsala Bhangra class together on Friday. Too cool!

By muzik311
From sedona, az
Feb 10, 2014
bends of horseshoes
Mel ~ must have been my twin? Don't think it was me ! ha ha ! see u around!

By Sam Finco
From Moab Utah
Feb 10, 2014
Also going to be moving to Moab! Ill be getting there march 2nd and am going to be looking for partners! I have a full time job there but will be looking to get to the creek every weekend and to climb locally as much as temps allow during the week. I'm moving from Wisconsin where 20 sounds like t shirt weather after being stuck with highs of about 2 degrees!

By Jerry
Feb 10, 2014
Hi Mel,
I may be in Moab this weekend and could climb Sunday, you free?
Cheers
J

By Matt Lemke
From Red Lodge, MT
Feb 11, 2014
Hey I'm headed to the Moab area later this month and am looking for someone to climb with. I'll be in the area for a week or so and want to climb some towers like Castleton, Ancient art or anything cool. Indian Creek would be nice too. Feel free to Email me at mlemke100@gmail.com if you're interested. I'll probably be staying at the Lazy Lizard so if anyone else is interested shoot me an email with your availability and what you'd like to climb. Cheers, Matt

By Mel.
Feb 11, 2014
Just me
Crystal- just looked more closely at your FB pics...must have been your twin. Man do you look just like the other chick. And u could have sworn her name was Crystal as well. Either that, or the gal w her was named Crystal. So strange!

Sam- unfortunately I'll already be down at Lake Powell by the time you get to town. I'll come back up to climb as much as I can though. Let's keep in touch so we can meet up in the Creek this Spring!

Jerry- not sure for this weekend. If all works out, I'll be down in Indian Creek climbing. You are more than welcome to come down and meet up if we do go down. If not, no question I'll want to climb here in town!

By Mel.
Feb 11, 2014
Just me
Matt- I'm living at the Lizard, so we'll probably cross paths. When do you plan to arrive? I'm hoping to head down to Indian Creek on Friday. It sounds like you're wanting to climb stuff way over my experience level though. I'm seriously a total newbie with just over a handful of climbs under my belt. Most of those were crack climbs in IC with a couple slabs at Wall Street. Ancient Art, Fisher Tower, etc scares the holy hell out of me. Lol. Maybe someday, but not for a while.

By Hockman
Feb 11, 2014
Happy Turk!!
Hey guys,

My name is Matt and I've lived in Moab for a few years- also came to here not knowing anyone to climb with.

I would love to climb with all yall just hit me up!!

(435) 260-0878

or message me if youd prefer

-Matt

ps lets try to get out this week while its nice and warm. Creek this weekend??

By Mel.
Feb 11, 2014
Just me
Hey all,

Def Indian Creek this weekend! I'm gonna head down on Friday. If you want to caravan, we can meet at the Lazy Lizard Hostel at the South end of town. I'm not a big morning person, but could handle meeting at like 10am and rolling out at about 10:30am. Just come to the office and ask for Mel. Pretty much everyone here knows me. And if you would prefer to meet down in the Creek, we'll be at Creek Pasture camp site. Just look for my gray Honda Element! Just a reminder-I don't have any ropes or protection! That seems to be the most difficult part. So, if you have these necessities please be sure to bring them. It would suck to get down there with a whole group and no one have what we need to actually climb. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me! 704-258-3328.

Melissa

By Aaron Livingston
From Moab, UT
Feb 13, 2014
Mother Trucker 11a Wall St.
Moving back to the Moab area around March! Give me a shout around the 22nd 4352607086

By mike1
Feb 19, 2014
I noticed this post and wanted to get on some of the climbing enthusiasm/action.I live in SLC but have been coming down there every other weekend all winter to climb at Creek. I currently do not have a partner/'s for weekend of March 7th. Does anyone want to climb that weekend ? I got enough gear for almost everything down there and like to lead. Please get in touch if interested.

Mike.

By Hockman
Feb 19, 2014
Happy Turk!!
Mike,

Don't know what my schedule is looking like for that weekend yet but I'll keep you posted and see if we can't get a group going down that weekend.

-Matt

By Aaron Livingston
From Moab, UT
Feb 20, 2014
Mother Trucker 11a Wall St.
Mike and Matt,

Should hopefully be back in Moab around that time. Creek season!!!!!!!

By Mel.
Feb 21, 2014
Just me
Back from a great week in the Creek! Moving down to Bullfrog Marina on Lake Powell for the season though, so my Creek time will be a bit more limited. Definitely planning to come back and climb as often as possible. I'll keep up with the posts and see where my scheduled days off line up.

Mel.

By Ryan Kempf
From Boulder, CO
Feb 21, 2014
Ryan on the Sharks Fin wishing he was on Mt. White...
Headed down to Moab tonight and looking for a partner for Saturday 2/22/14. I have a rope and triple rack, and am an experienced/safe trad leader/belayer. I may end up in Long Canyon or hanging around Potash. If you want to climb hit me up or find me, green Tacoma with green camper CO plates or 909-55six-7six3six.

By Mel.
Feb 21, 2014
Just me
Hey Ryan,

There's a couple of us I know are down and Potash would be perfect! I'm at the Lazy Lizard hostel on the south end of town. What time are you thinking you want to get started?

Mel.
704-258-3328

By Allen Chaney
Feb 21, 2014
I'll be climbing along wallstreet/potash Saturday. Group of two in white suburu outback with south Carolina plates. Feel free to come ask for a belay or a run up our TR's!

Cheers everyone!
Allen

By Ryan Kempf
From Boulder, CO
Feb 21, 2014
Ryan on the Sharks Fin wishing he was on Mt. White...
@ Mel-I wanna grab some breakfast at the Eclectic café in the morning and probably head over to wall street around 9 or 10. Casual day cragging with you guys sounds rad. I'll drag out an extra rope since it sounds like we may have a group.

By Pine Sap
Feb 21, 2014
Jaws RMNP - 3/3/12
Hey, any of you folks out here in Moab from Boulder. If heading back in the next week, I would like to go back and pick up my vehicle and return to Moab. Will chip in $50.00 for fuel.

970-214-4034

By Krachel
Jun 20, 2014
Hi Mel et al.,

I'll be in Moab on June 27-29th and looking for someone to partner with. I'll be flying in so I am not planning to haul a rope or quick-draws unless absolutely necessary :). I'm a beginner/medium level - in the French system I will lead a 4b, but will climb a 6a in second. Anyone available next weekend?