New climber in Albuquerque looking for partner at gym and outside

By Maddy Minnis
From Corrales, NM
Aug 20, 2014
I started climbing at Stone Age just a few months ago and the people I started with can't afford it anymore so I am looking for someone else to go with. I also am really interested in getting outdoors but I don't have the equipment/knowledge/experience/partner to do it with. I'm a pretty laid back 29 year old female, living and working in Corrales (moved here from the east coast a year ago). And I'm only just starting on 5.10s so I've got a ways to go...

By Ted Waruszewski
From Albuquerque, NM
Aug 27, 2014
Hi Maddy. I could meet with you a couple times at Stone Age. I prefer to climb outside. It's just more relaxing and a heck of a lot cheaper. If you're interested in meeting up, let me know.

Ted 505-353-2814

By Haris Kazmi
From Roswell
Sep 13, 2014
Capitan, NM
Will you be interested in doing procrastination or other muti-pitch stuff at sandias. We can try second coming first as it is a 7 pitch climb to built some co-ordination before trying something hard and long.
Shoot me can email if you want:
syedhariszamir@gmail.com

By Bill M
From Fort Collins, CO
Sep 14, 2014
2nd Coming is a 4p climb and I would stay off of Procrastination until you have done the needle without using a head lamp. It is a long route when you factor in the approach route finding and loose rock.

By Jamie K.
Sep 14, 2014
Hi Maddy,

I caution you to not get in over your head, and resist the urge to jump on multipitch with folks you don't know. Having a good experience is paramount to making the transition to climbing outdoors.

See this post by someone that has responded to your call for partners: mountainproject.com/v/please-l...

Meet with some folks at the gym, and/or try to find a small group to go do some single pitch cragging with. I don't climb at the gym, but I have several friends that regularly do that might be willing to meet up. feel free to PM me.

By Haris Kazmi
From Roswell
Sep 14, 2014
Capitan, NM
Yes u r right 2nd coming is a 4 pitch climb, I meant excitable boys. Excitable boys and second coming are the only two climbs that I have done in Sandias.
Thanks for the advice about loose rocks. I tried this route about a month back with my brother. Yes there are plenty of loose stuff but "it comes with the territory".

Thanks for you advice though.

By Haris Kazmi
From Roswell
Sep 14, 2014
Capitan, NM
Yes , I was not able to finish Procrastination. I tired it with my brother who have very limited experience in climbing. I was leading most pitches. And yes we were climbing damn slow, that's why we had to bail.
I don.t know what is big fuss about failing. Its all about giving your best and having a good experience.

Its not my intention to get some one into something they don't want. I going in back in few weeks anyways.

Peace.

By Maddy Minnis
From Corrales, NM
Sep 15, 2014
Thanks for all the responses and insight! I've found a couple people to join me at the gym and was going to get outside for the first time this weekend but due to a wrist injury I had to bail. And in my time off I managed to sprain my foot so now I am out for a couple weeks.

As soon as I am healthy again I am up to try some of those things on the Sandias only as long as my inexperience doesn't pose a danger to myself or others or how much fun we will have. I honestly don't even know what multi-pitch means and have never lead climbed before, if that is any indication for where I'm at. Maybe once I have a few outdoor routes under my belt I will get a hold of you, Haris. But these all sound like a lot of fun so hopefully I heal quickly. Thanks everyone for looking out!

By Gunks Jesse
From Shawangunk Township, NY
Sep 15, 2014
Tetonia
I have no stake in this conversation other than wanting to see everyone climb safely.

Maddy: get a copy of Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills. It's $20 well spent and you will become familiar with climbing terms, gear, and techniques used outdoors. You don't want to get in over your head.

Edit: also be aware that climbing a 5.10 at the gym where the route is taped out doesn't always translate to being able to climb a 5.10 outside. It's good to start a few grades lower than your ability level every time you go to a new area so you can get a feel for the rock and the local grading curve.

By Nathan Kofahl
From Albuquerque, NM
Sep 15, 2014
Ethan's first outdoor climb in the Jemze
I climb at Stone Age 2-3 times a week and outside whenever I can. Most of the NM areas that I've climbed feel a full point harder or more outside. I'm sure part of that is route finding as color coded plastic is way easier to figure out than real rock, but I second the advice to take it easy outside and start a few points lower. If you lead 5.10 at Stone Age, start with 5.8 or so outside and work your way up.

By Ted Waruszewski
From Albuquerque, NM
Sep 17, 2014
Maddy, I enjoyed climbing with you at Stone Age last week. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, new work schedule and all. I would heed the advice from Jamie. I don't know Haris but it sounds fool hearty to offer to take a new climber on Procrastination. It's a long climb even as easy as it is.

Ted

By Maddy Minnis
From Corrales, NM
Sep 18, 2014
Hey Ted! Yeah I definitely had a great time too. No worries about getting back there anytime too soon. I've still got to wait out this sprain. But as soon as you get a solid routine in place just hit me up and we can work out a schedule. I'll heed everyone's advice and make sure to start out easy outside, I am not trying to deal with anymore injuries…