New climber in Albuquerque looking for partner at gym and outside

By Maddy Minnis
From Corrales, NM
Aug 20, 2014
I started climbing at Stone Age just a few months ago and the people I started with can't afford it anymore so I am looking for someone else to go with. I also am really interested in getting outdoors but I don't have the equipment/knowledge/experience/partner to do it with. I'm a pretty laid back 29 year old female, living and working in Corrales (moved here from the east coast a year ago). And I'm only just starting on 5.10s so I've got a ways to go...

By Ted Waruszewski
From Albuquerque, NM
Aug 27, 2014
Hi Maddy. I could meet with you a couple times at Stone Age. I prefer to climb outside. It's just more relaxing and a heck of a lot cheaper. If you're interested in meeting up, let me know.

Ted 505-353-2814

By Haris Kazmi
From Roswell
Sep 13, 2014
Capitan, NM
Will you be interested in doing procrastination or other muti-pitch stuff at sandias. We can try second coming first as it is a 7 pitch climb to built some co-ordination before trying something hard and long.
Shoot me can email if you want:
syedhariszamir@gmail.com

By Bill M
From Fort Collins, CO
6 days ago
2nd Coming is a 4p climb and I would stay off of Procrastination until you have done the needle without using a head lamp. It is a long route when you factor in the approach route finding and loose rock.

By Jamie K.
6 days ago
Hi Maddy,

I caution you to not get in over your head, and resist the urge to jump on multipitch with folks you don't know. Having a good experience is paramount to making the transition to climbing outdoors.

See this post by someone that has responded to your call for partners: mountainproject.com/v/please-l...

Meet with some folks at the gym, and/or try to find a small group to go do some single pitch cragging with. I don't climb at the gym, but I have several friends that regularly do that might be willing to meet up. feel free to PM me.

By Haris Kazmi
From Roswell
6 days ago
Capitan, NM
Yes u r right 2nd coming is a 4 pitch climb, I meant excitable boys. Excitable boys and second coming are the only two climbs that I have done in Sandias.
Thanks for the advice about loose rocks. I tried this route about a month back with my brother. Yes there are plenty of loose stuff but "it comes with the territory".

Thanks for you advice though.

By Haris Kazmi
From Roswell
6 days ago
Capitan, NM
Yes , I was not able to finish Procrastination. I tired it with my brother who have very limited experience in climbing. I was leading most pitches. And yes we were climbing damn slow, that's why we had to bail.
I don.t know what is big fuss about failing. Its all about giving your best and having a good experience.

Its not my intention to get some one into something they don't want. I going in back in few weeks anyways.

Peace.

By Maddy Minnis
From Corrales, NM
5 days ago
Thanks for all the responses and insight! I've found a couple people to join me at the gym and was going to get outside for the first time this weekend but due to a wrist injury I had to bail. And in my time off I managed to sprain my foot so now I am out for a couple weeks.

As soon as I am healthy again I am up to try some of those things on the Sandias only as long as my inexperience doesn't pose a danger to myself or others or how much fun we will have. I honestly don't even know what multi-pitch means and have never lead climbed before, if that is any indication for where I'm at. Maybe once I have a few outdoor routes under my belt I will get a hold of you, Haris. But these all sound like a lot of fun so hopefully I heal quickly. Thanks everyone for looking out!

By Gunks Jesse
From Shawangunk Township, NY
5 days ago
Tetonia
I have no stake in this conversation other than wanting to see everyone climb safely.

Maddy: get a copy of Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills. It's $20 well spent and you will become familiar with climbing terms, gear, and techniques used outdoors. You don't want to get in over your head.

Edit: also be aware that climbing a 5.10 at the gym where the route is taped out doesn't always translate to being able to climb a 5.10 outside. It's good to start a few grades lower than your ability level every time you go to a new area so you can get a feel for the rock and the local grading curve.

By Nathan Kofahl
From Albuquerque, NM
5 days ago
Ethan's first outdoor climb in the Jemze
I climb at Stone Age 2-3 times a week and outside whenever I can. Most of the NM areas that I've climbed feel a full point harder or more outside. I'm sure part of that is route finding as color coded plastic is way easier to figure out than real rock, but I second the advice to take it easy outside and start a few points lower. If you lead 5.10 at Stone Age, start with 5.8 or so outside and work your way up.

By Ted Waruszewski
From Albuquerque, NM
4 days ago
Maddy, I enjoyed climbing with you at Stone Age last week. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, new work schedule and all. I would heed the advice from Jamie. I don't know Haris but it sounds fool hearty to offer to take a new climber on Procrastination. It's a long climb even as easy as it is.

Ted

By Maddy Minnis
From Corrales, NM
2 days ago
Hey Ted! Yeah I definitely had a great time too. No worries about getting back there anytime too soon. I've still got to wait out this sprain. But as soon as you get a solid routine in place just hit me up and we can work out a schedule. I'll heed everyone's advice and make sure to start out easy outside, I am not trying to deal with anymore injuries…