Needles partner early may

By knowbuddy
Mar 27, 2012
A
Need a partner in early may for the needles area. Ill be there from may 6th to 10th and I really want to get on white punks on dope and anything else in the area. Lead 10/11ish, can follow 12.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Mar 28, 2012
That will be a good time of year for Voodoo. A couple of problems with the Needles though. One, they close part of Highway 190 until about Memorial Day, which will prevent you from reaaching the Needles from the south, which is where Voodoo is. But with the lack of snow this year, it seems possible they could open it early. Two, there may be some access issues at the Needles proper following the Lookout burning down. There are a couple of threads on Supertopo that discuss that issue. Good luck. It's a great area. I got a few days out there last summer but had to leave a day earlier than everyone else, so they went to climb White Punks without me. :(

By knowbuddy
Apr 23, 2012
A
Bump. Igor unchained is a definite as well.

By Richard Shore
Apr 24, 2012
Eichorns Pinnacle
Spoke with a ranger at the Kernville station last week - they expect to open the lower access road (Voodoo Dome) as early as this week. The main Needles trailhead isn't expected to be opened until Memorial Day, and it may only be open to service vehicles for the lookout cleanup.

Doesn't look like it's gonna be a "regular" season at the Needles this year.

By knowbuddy
Apr 24, 2012
A
Thanks for the info

By knowbuddy
Apr 24, 2012
A
Bump

By Ben Beard
From Superior, AZ
Apr 25, 2012
roo, my only son, the stare that takes down a herd of 'stock
thanks for the info. I am planning a climbing trip over the 2nd week in May and was hoping to hit up the Needles. We were going to do Red Rock for a few days and drive west to get some good granite in. Is the Needles a viable option? From Richard's post it sounds like Voodoo Dome can be approached, but the hike up to the Needles would take 60-90 minutes (hiking on the access road), right?

By Richard Shore
Apr 25, 2012
Eichorns Pinnacle
If you guys have been there before you'd understand that the 60-90 min approach info given above is wrong (unless you have mtn bikes - good beta). It's a full 6 mile approach from the highway if the gate is closed. But yes, it's relatively flat for the first 3 miles on the dirt road.

From Voodoo Dome the approach to south/east faces of the Warlock wouldn't be too bad (prob less than 2 hours), but any of the other formations would be a bit of a slog.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Apr 25, 2012
Just called the Forest Service. They are tentatively planning to open Highway 190 this Thursday at 5 PM. Apparently, the road past Johnsondale is still closed (approaching from Lake Isabella). She said the road to Lower Peppermint campground (Voodoo Dome access) won't open til later, but didn't predict when.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Apr 25, 2012
Really?! I've never heard of 190 opening before the road to Voodoo. Definitely been a low snow year though. Well, at least that puts Dome Rock back on the menu. Thanks for the info Frank. May have to get up there sooner vs. later.

BTW, people really do need to be mindful of the access issues related to the Needles. Given the lookout burning down, this year is going to be an unusual one for access.

By Ben Beard
From Superior, AZ
May 7, 2012
roo, my only son, the stare that takes down a herd of 'stock
any news on the road to the needle's lookout trailhead, or any roads opening up? thanks.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
May 7, 2012
Richard Shore wrote:

Do people not read? Check access before making plans.

By Ben Beard
From Superior, AZ
May 7, 2012
roo, my only son, the stare that takes down a herd of 'stock
Fat Dad wrote:
Do people not read? Check access before making plans.

Check access before making plans... like asking someone else who may know... maybe through an internet forum...

relax, I know I can always call the rangers.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
May 7, 2012
Ok, sorry about that. My bad. Just from the wording of some of the posts (not your's now that I go back and look at it) seem to imply they'll be showing up once's the snow's gone, regardless. It's just such a great area I'd hate to have access limited in the future because of a few yahoos.

To be honest, I'd just call the rangers or maybe email Kris Solem on this site. He's pretty keyed into the access issues.