MP officially launches MTB Project: a sister site for mountain biking

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Apr 29, 2013
Personal Photo

For years we've thought about creating similar sites for other sports, and finally we're doing it for mountain biking at MTB Project - www.mtbproject.com

A lot of technology has changed since MP was created, and we've learned a lot of lessons in those 7 years. MTB Project is brand new: taking the great things from MP, and adding a lot of new features around mapping and virtual rides (here's a favorite from a recent trip).

We have a deep partnership with International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA), and we share a vision: mountain bikers deserve a dedicated site that helps them discover and enjoy trails around the world.

2,000,000 unique people visited Mountain Project last year, and climbers have shared 97,000 routes on the site! MTB Project is just getting started, so we don't have enough data, but we're hoping mountain bikers have a similar passion and will be psyched to share their rides. Feel free to share your rides and photos!

We're also on Facebook if you'd like to follow our development there.

By Andy Librande
From Denver, CO
Apr 29, 2013
Me in the Buddha Cave at crumblewood a while ago.

This is pretty slick. Really like the virtual tour listed above.

Noticed a problem where on the home page a lot of the blue/colored circles when you click on them only navigate on the right panel and nothing pops-up. Whereas if there are multiple trails seems to work directly in the map. Just some weird UI that I am having a hard time with.

Also is there a way to migrate MountainProject logins into there, like something "inherit profile from MP?".

Would love to see those map features in MP!

By JCM
From Henderson, NV
Apr 29, 2013

Very, very well done.

By SendaGorilla
From Boulder
Apr 29, 2013

Looks pretty sweet.
Stoked to get out and ride!

By George Bell
From Boulder, CO
May 2, 2013
Hip trouble ...

The "Virtual Ride" feature is pretty slick!

By Boissal
From Small Lake, UT
May 2, 2013

George Bell wrote:
The "Virtual Ride" feature is pretty slick! I tried adding a comment, but it seems this isn't possible without a Facebook/Yahoo/AOL/Hotmail account. Why can't people just comment on rides without all this social media stuff?

Because if you're not posting GoPro footage of your sends on FB, linking to your blog, posting stills on Instagram and Pinteresting said ride, you didn't do it.
The spray generation demands it. I believe (like you) that it is beyond annoying.

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
May 2, 2013
Personal Photo

We may actually build in a native comment system that will let you do it without one of those accounts. But getting this live in time for this year's riding season required some efficiencies, and slapping in Facebook's comment system takes about 10 minutes.

By Ben Gordon
From La Canada, CA
May 2, 2013

This is super sick. As an avid MTBer though I wish it would import segments from strava and do an autobuild feature- something along the lines of, "90% of people who rode this segment rode these other segments, therefore a ride is described algorithmically as a collection of strava segments with a certain probability of being ridden in the same session"

By Tom-o Sapien
From World's largest trailer park
May 2, 2013
Conky and I confront Patrick Swayze

Nick when is the Mtbproject Android app going to be available?
WOW, that was FAST!!
Nicely done...

By NerdEnPose
From Tucson, Arizona
May 13, 2013
just a cute lil pic <br />

Can we add display names to the MTB Project site? I don't want my full first and last name displayed on everything.

By Tzilla Rapdrilla
May 17, 2013

This thing is great, now I won't need to buy one of those expensive guidebooks just to find trails.

By Tom-o Sapien
From World's largest trailer park
May 17, 2013
Conky and I confront Patrick Swayze

NerdEnPose wrote:

Yes NEP. I'm there as Reign man Huckster ( I ride a 6"full suspension Giant Reign 2)
I currently have a posting there on the for sale page.
You'll easily recognize my picture even with my helmet on :)
Brain Bucket
Brain Bucket

By Wombat
From Boulder, co
Jun 23, 2013
Cutout from a larger map illustrating accessibility of world cities.

As a geo-developer and someone who has been a bit of a pain in the ass on some of these forums I have got to say this new MTB site is awesome. You did a great job. I would love to see Mountain Project follow a similar design/framework. Nice work!

J

By Bryan Hall
From Bend, Oregon
Jul 8, 2013

I joined and abandoned immediately. I was stoked to contribute my local trails right away. Unfortunately you can't add anything unless you have a GPS to map it? Bummer.

By Brad "Stonyman" Killough
From Alabama
Aug 21, 2013
Starting the second section of Live to climb another day

Awesome site, great job again.

By Febs
Dec 1, 2013

Hey, the new site looks amazing. Will it be only for US tracks or will it be worldwide?

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Dec 1, 2013
Personal Photo

We will get worldwide eventually, but it will probably be a few more months at least.

By Brad "Stonyman" Killough