MP Mobile App: Partnered with Black Diamond and now Free
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Personal Photo
Today we've released a new version of the mobile app (both iOS and Android) and we're announcing a major new partnership with Black Diamond. We at Mountain Project have been users and admirers of BD gear for many years and are pretty damn psyched to be working together. BD is committed to the climbing community, and their support of MP will further our mission to be the definitive resource for climbers.

What does this mean?
  • Thanks to BD's support, the mobile app is now FREE.
  • This app release includes several improvements, and more are in development.
  • Lists of routes show the type of climb (trad, sport, boulder, etc.).
  • Your personal star ratings of climbs are shown instead of averages.
  • You can get directions to the crag.
  • The Leading News (formerly called The Spray) can be read inside the app.

Over the next year, the BD partnership will help us focus more attention on the mobile app in general. You'll see more frequent updates, added features, and improved usability.

What if you already paid for the app? The new version of the app is an update to all older versions, including those that were paid for in the past. While we can't refund folks that supported us with their app purchase (hopefully you have found $5-8 a fair price), we want thank you for your financial contribution. MP is a labor of love by small handful of people, and your support has helped keep us going. If you don't feel like this is fair, and you bought the app in the last six weeks (after April 1, 2014), find your iOS/Android receipt, email it to admin at mountainproject dot com, and we'll get you a refund (via Paypal).

With many past versions of the app out there, we couldnít test every possible upgrade path. Itís possible you will need to delete your current version before installing the new version. For Apple products, we now require iOS 6.1.

By Mark NH
May 15, 2014
Great job Nick. Looks nice. The only problem I encountered was after updating the app it wouldn't download specific area updates. I deleted and re-installed the app - which required downloading all my areas again however there were no problems encountered doing this including the areas that originally needed updates.

iPhone 5 and latest iOS as reference.

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
Aiding.
I like it. I upgraded without any hiccups from whatever version I had without any hiccups.

By Jonathan Dull
From NC High County
Edge of a Dream
Sick!!! I'm going to download it now!!!!

By Josh Kornish
From Missoula, MT
The Roach
+1 to Black Diamond! You guys kick ass!

By Xam
From Boulder, Co
May 15, 2014
New app killed my ipod touch. Updated MP app, which did not work. Erased MP app and reinstalled app, which did not work. Restarted ipod touch, which now stalls on apple logo on startup. I will get back with more info if I can get it to work again.

By Xam
From Boulder, Co
May 15, 2014
Ipod now starts after reboot sequence but new MP app does not work...MP screen flashes on but does not enter app. Note this is on an older 8gb 4th gen ipod touch so cool kids with newer toys will likely have better results.

By jdejace
Good update.

Can those of us who paid get it ad free? This is pretty typical in the app world.

Nothing against BD, but I give them plenty of my money anyway without them taking up my screen real estate.

By Rich Bergstrom
From Minneapolis, MN
May 15, 2014
Me, and the standard Shovel Point belay.
Not to be a jerk, but is it possible to go back to the old paid version? App doesn't work on my LG phone. The old app was great.

By Josh Janes
May 15, 2014
Great new update: I've been asking for my star ratings to show for years now - thank you!

The new format is easier to read and the app is much faster.

All in all a great update, though the BD ads are much more intrusive than the old OR ones.

I too would pay for an ad-free version.

By Alexander Blum
From Charlotte, NC
May 15, 2014
Another vote for the ad free version. I will GLADLY pay for no ads. I will consider deleting it without this option, as much as I love it.

By hemp22
May 15, 2014
New version also doesn't work on my phone - crashes immediately when trying to start up.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times.
This is on a samsung galaxy S3 w/ android 4.1.2

I'd also prefer to go back to the paid version to be ad-free.

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Personal Photo
We are looking into a bug that seems to affect Galaxy S3 & S4 phones, as well as LG G2 phones. Hopefully this will only take a day or so to figure out. Thanks for your patience!

For the record, the prior version was not ad-free. But thanks for all the feedback, both positive and negative!

By Alexander Blum
From Charlotte, NC
May 15, 2014
^He's right, I stand corrected. Sorry Nick. I'd still pay a fairly hefty sum for the ads to disappear.

By Mark NH
May 15, 2014
Unfortunately there's essentially nothing in our life that's not littered with ads - somewhere. I don't find the BD ads obtrusive and think Nick should be commended for working out the deal with BD and making the app free.

And from my memory there have always been ads on MP web and the app.

For the folks that want ad free and don't want to use the app - don't use it. Good luck finding something as useful as MP that's ad free.

By Chris B.
From San Francisco
May 15, 2014
Updated the app from the paid version on my LG G2 running Android 4.4.2 and now I get a black screen on start up.

Nick - happy to help you debug this - PM me if you want some more info.

Thanks,

Chris

By Burghschred
From Bend, OR
May 15, 2014
You guys might want to put a warning that tells s4, s3 etc. Users not to update until you fix it. I was going to use the app to go climbing this afternoon but now I can't.

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Personal Photo
Android Update: We've identified the issue and should have a fixed version by late tonight. Thanks for your patience.

By Chris B.
From San Francisco
May 15, 2014
Updated to 2.8 and looking good now. Great work on the quick turn around.

By Jamie K.
Updated app crashing on iPhone at launch. iPhone 3S, OS 6.1.6
Hopefully this will help track down the issue

By saxfiend
From Decatur, GA
May 15, 2014
Relaxing at the P1 belay of Fruit Loops at Rumbling Bald.
Thanks for the upgrade, Nick! Unfortunately, post-install, my iPhone flashes the app screen and then it disappears. Tried rebooting the phone, it still wouldn't launch; deleted and re-installed, still the same. Mine is an iPhone 5, OS level 6.1.4.

JL

By Nick Wilder
Site Landlord
From The Bubble
Personal Photo
We think the bug is fixed and released version 2.8 a few minutes ago. There are a few reports that it's working, so we think this is solved.

Delete the current version and install 2.8 from here:
play.google.com/store/apps/det...

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble!

By bmdhacks
May 16, 2014
Still crashing on Galaxy Note 3

By Paul Hunnicutt
From Boulder, CO
May 16, 2014
Half Dome
I downloaded to my iphone 4 with iOS 6.1.3 and it didn't work. Won't launch at all

By Andrewww
From Concord, NH
May 16, 2014
Bummer, guess I should have gotten the old version sooner. IOS 6.0.1 on my 4s and there's no way I'm upgrading and ditching my jailbreak. Oh well, looks like I'm just going to have to lug around books.

By Nobleman
From Rocheport, MO
May 16, 2014
I too just updated the app, only to have it crash every time I try to open it. Deleted the app and reinstalled it, powered off phone then rebooted, all to no avail. Running IOS 6.1.3 on iPhone 4.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>