Moving from Boulder to Las Cruces

By kennyp
From Las Cruces
Apr 3, 2012
Street Hassle
I'll most likely be moving there for graduate school in August. What am I in for? It looks like there is some climbing in the organs and it seems like hueco is a viable weekend spot. Any information is helpful, thanks.

By Dan Carter
From Las Cruces, NM
Apr 9, 2012
While it is not boulder, Las Cruces isn't too bad if you like being outside. The town is pretty quite and not a lot going on. Although there is some stuff if you look and once you meet a few folks you know the whole town. As far as climbing goes: Organs are fun if you like all day adventures, hueco is great once you figure out the system, easy in the off season, the tunnel is good sport an hour away, good in the warmer months, there are some other less stellar spots nearby too like the rough and readies, pena blanca and the dona anas. Cochise and the enchanted tower are 3.5 hours away. Good trails and dirt roads for running and hiking. Hang out at the university wall to meet folks.

By kennyp
From Las Cruces
Apr 17, 2012
Street Hassle
Thanks Dan. Do you have any recomendations on what part of town to live in? I'd like to be with in walking distance to the university.

By -sp
From East-Coast
Apr 17, 2012
Buenos Dias!
kennyp wrote:

I've never lived there but I've been traveling for work to the El Paso/Juarez area for years. I happen think the Organs are an underappreciated gem of a climbing area. You (and a handful of locals) will have miles of peaks completely to yourself. All you have to do is find something with big tires to knock off a mile or so of approach so it doesn't seem so "Old Testament" and then manage not to fall into something with spines, barbs, needles, fangs, or stingers.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Apr 17, 2012
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on st...
I have to agree with -sp. My husband and I took a climbing trip out to the Organs a few years back. We had a blast and we had the place to ourselves, not a soul around.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Apr 17, 2012
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on st...
-sp wrote:

good warning!
My husband's legs by day three in the Organs:

By kennyp
From Las Cruces
Apr 17, 2012
Street Hassle
I hope that was from wearing shorts...?

By Bill M
From Fort Collins, CO
Apr 17, 2012
The key to the approaches in the Organs is finding the right trails. If you find yourself bushwacking through Cactus your screwing up.

By Eric Whitbeck
Apr 18, 2012
shitkickers, carharts, long sleeves, and gloves are useful, although I have enjoyed dragging out some overly muscled sportos through the brush in their flip flops and prana shorts.

By -sp
From East-Coast
Apr 18, 2012
Buenos Dias!
Some nice images (not mine)