Mold on harness and slings?

By Danomcq
Jul 17, 2013
Canon ct
As I was packing up to move to a new house I discovered a bit of mold on my harness and some nylon slings, rubbed right off, should I trust'em?

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Jul 17, 2013
As long as they weren't with jumper cables, you should be OK.

Seriously though, I can't imagine how they get mold, unless you store them in a dank, moist place. And rarely use them. Do they only see use every few months? Seems like you would notice that right away, when it was just a spot or two.

By Danomcq
Jul 17, 2013
Canon ct
Military work schedules don't exactly allow me to go when ever I want, not to many opportunities to go climbing while on deployment, and shitty base housing had a leaky roof. Not too much I can do about that

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Jul 17, 2013
Ah, I see. I'd think if it were just a few spots, you'd be OK. How extensive is the mold? Can you post photos?

I think it's a "use your best judgment" thing and there is no definitive answer.

(all the above really means is "I don't know"!)

Also, thanks for your service.

By Danomcq
Jul 17, 2013
Canon ct
Some times I have to explain my situation, quite I often responses to my questions are either "TROLL!!!!" Or the condescending " do you even climb?" Attitude responses. No, I don't climb often I get deployed a lot and I have 3 kids so please forgive me for asking what might seem like stupid questions to those who have the knowledge.

By robrobrobrob
Jul 17, 2013
I've lrapelled on some pretty moldy ropes in caves and on fixed lines. You should be good.

By Ben Beckerich
From saint helens, oregon
Jul 18, 2013
About half way up the East Arete on Illumination Rock
The bible says you burn it.

Burn it, or burn.. your choice.

By divnamite
From New York, NY
Jul 18, 2013
If there is doubt, there is no doubt.

Get rid of them.

By Jeffrey Dunn
Jul 18, 2013
ian watson wrote:
I use this mixture in the shower for this reason I am real sensitive to chemicals and my parrot is as well.

You better quit showering with your parrot or I'll have to call the ASPCA...

By Optimistic
From New Paltz
Jul 18, 2013

By ian watson
From Albuquerque, NM
Jul 18, 2013
Optimistic wrote:
I'd say removing the mold is beside the point. The question is can this particular species of mold harm nylon? I doubt that the answer to that question is known by anyone. So you're down to "it looks ok, so it's probably ok" versus "I can't be sure, and I have 3 kids, so I'm throwing it out." I'd pick choice B! Also, I would not put ANY cleaning product on ANY climbing gear without a manufacturer's recommendation. Just because it came from a plant doesn't make it safe for nylon.

I will have to agree with you, I would be curious to see thieves affect on nylon pull tested. I have never used it on a harness so that was probably bad advise (sorry), I do however use it on my shoes with excellent results.
:Deleted other post.

By Peter Keith
From 5790 Whirlaway Rd, Palm Beach
Sep 30, 2013
Let the sunlight reach it and keep it dry. You can try to remove it from vinegar. mold Florida

By marty funkhouser
Sep 30, 2013
Things that affect nylon mechanical properties: heat, UV, oxygen (over time), acid, and alkali.