Moab Tower Photo Opportunities

By Tyler Meester
From Tempe, Arizona
Feb 21, 2014

Hey I'm really interested in climbing towers in Moab and I really want to make this trip focused on producing high quality photographs. I've been going through pictures of different climbs in the Castle Valley area but I'd love some input from people experienced in climbing in this area! I plan on having two parties of two, and I want to get pictures of people leading up cracks. I'm trying to get into the rock climbing photography world (yes I know that's going to be 'impossible') and this is my first big step to produce some good portfolio material.

Basically I just want some names of climbs that you think would be great for pictures. Anything from two towers neighboring each other to super dramatic dihedral cracks with scary exposure. Grade wise, I'm thinking of sticking below 5.12 and probably even below 5.11+ so that the crux for me isn't the climbing and is more so setting up the shots. Any other beta is greatly appreciated!

If you're curious of my photography check out my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/TylerMeesterPhotography or my Flikr profile www.flickr.com/photos/tylermeester/. I'm really excited about this trip idea and think it would be an amazing experience for me. I usually don't get to focus on photography when I'm climbing, and I'm looking to change that.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

By JeffL
From Salt Lake City
Feb 21, 2014

Ancient Art as seen in a City Bank commercial. "What girl wouldn't need a new pair of shoes?"

By Bryan Ferguson

fine jade

the north six shooter

By Alexander Nees
From Grand Junction, CO
Feb 24, 2014
Alex midway up TCT.  Photo by Kim Caovan

I'd recommend the towers in Hellroaring Canyon for the following reasons:

• They haven't been shot a million times already, unlike the towers in Castle Valley.
  • There are three towers (Witch, Warlock, and Cauldrons) all next to each other, so you can be efficient with your time. Plus it offers the opportunity to do things like shoot climbers from adjacent summits, and not just do the typical "shoot climber from above while hanging at the anchor."
  • The towers are in a relatively tight canyon, so you could do a variety of different shots from the rim.
  • The towers are in a spectacular location adjacent to but not inside Canyonlands NP, so getting photo permits isn't too hard.
  • These towers aren't popular, so you won't be clogging up the trade routes of Castle Valley for other people who just want to climb.
  • All three towers have free routes in your desired grade range.

By Aaron Livingston
From Moab, UT
Mar 10, 2014
Mother Trucker 11a Wall St.

Rimshot in Indian creek on the bridger jack mesa has killer exposure on pitch 4, also has one of the most unique chimney pitches i've ever seen. Think vertical hallway. If you're into some serious driving then Standing Rock out in Canyonlands is an extremely aesthetic line and you could hit monster tower or washer woman on the way out there. Monster and Washer are probably 100-200 feet away from each other so it could make for some good shots!

By clay meier
Mar 10, 2014
Thats Me

Bridger jacks at Indian creek.

By doligo
Mar 10, 2014
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style

Sacred Space from the Hummingbird Spire at Bridger Jacks.

By David A
From Boulder, CO
Mar 10, 2014
Hanging out after climbing a route in Eldo on a cold day.

Anything in the Fisher Towers.