Misspelling, syntax, punctuation, etc. on MP.com
   Page 1 of 6.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

Jul 2, 2013
This is not really a climbing pet peeve, but is anyone else disturbed by the surfeit of misspellings, poor syntax, and punctuation errors that populate MP.com? Richard M. Wright
From Lakewood, CO
Joined Jan 1, 2001
9,484 points
Jul 2, 2013
Disturbed? No, why would we be? Its an informal internet forum on rock climbing... Don't take yourself too seriously. BSheriden
Joined May 18, 2013
3 points
Bucky
BSheriden wrote:

It might not be that Richard is taking himself too seriously, some of us just have a natural cringe that occurs when trying to book read and dat der spelling just ain't 'a right.

So, to answer your question Richard: yes. Though if I forwarded you some excerpts from papers that I have had to grade (written by students at a "top" university), it would probably disturb you even more. Such is life I guess.
J. Albers
From Colorado
Joined Jul 11, 2008
2,221 points
Jul 2, 2013
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Such is the conundrum of Internet forums; I too cringe at the grammatical and spelling errors committed in the most egregious and vulgar of manners. I am even guilty of committing them from time to time myself, which of course I abhor. How though, does one express such glowing disapproval without seeming like an anal retentive, pedantic Nellie with too much time on his hands? Fight the good fight Richard. I shall remain silent in my cowardice, quietly championing your cause. Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
997 points
Jul 2, 2013
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.
Yes, I'm mildly peeved by it, mostly because of my background w/ a B.A. in English Lit.

On the whole, though, I find mp.com to have far fewer mistakes and generally better coherence than any other forum I check out regularly. Kind of disturbing to think about when I read the grade-school level posts on one of the nursing forums I use... and they all (supposedly) have at least some college education!
Nick Stayner
From Billings, MT
Joined Mar 6, 2006
2,586 points
black nasty
Write right Wright! Cor
Joined Mar 6, 2006
1,169 points
Jul 2, 2013
Again, who cares? Its an internet forum NOT a college level English thesis paper. Find something better to get upset about. As long as you can understand what the person is saying who cares about a few misspellings? BSheriden
Joined May 18, 2013
3 points
Jul 2, 2013
"Plethora" would have been a better choice than "surfeit." Although both are often defined as "excess," surfeit is generally taken to mean too much of a good thing--a surfeit of good food or drink, for example. "Plethora," on the other hand, is the more apt choice when complaining about too much of a bad thing.

Also, not to nitpick too much, but a list should be parallel as to number. "Misspellings" and "punctuation errors" are plural, whereas "poor syntax" is not.

In addition, "surfeit" and "populate" don't agree, which they should.
PRRose
From Boulder
Joined Feb 11, 2006
2 points

BSheriden wrote:

Express yourself properly or STFU.
Boissal
From Small Lake, UT
Joined Aug 21, 2006
1,664 points
Jul 2, 2013
Finished wall, Fowler trail. For Wayne.
On MP, there is a strong correlation between those who
1) have nothing of substance to write about
b) have a burning desire to flail at their keyboard
and
iii) can't express themselves very well.

I proudly count myself a member of the first and third groups.
Mike McHugh
Joined Jan 6, 2013
359 points
Boissal wrote:
Plenty of people care. I care. I was never under the impression that proper spelling/grammar was only a requirement of college-level English thesis papers. In fact, I thought it was the best way to avoid labeling yourself as nearly illiterate. As far as understanding what the person is writing, it becomes a tall ordeal when their typing suggests they're sending a coded text message while being chased by a rapist bear. How long would it take for you to get annoyed at someone with a really thick crappy accent if you were asking them to do you a favor and you couldn't figure out if they were replying "I can't" or "Aye, cunt"? Express yourself properly or STFU.

Well you're going to get pretty upset reading most internet posts then! Go ahead and get worked up about someone misspelling an informal reply, it doesnt bother me..... Oh no, I didn't you and apostrophe in that last sentence. You gonna be able to sleep tonight with your panties so far up your ass?
BSheriden
BWAH! Great clip!
Boissal
From Small Lake, UT
Joined Aug 21, 2006
1,664 points
Jul 2, 2013
About half way up the East Arete on Illumination R...
This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.
Ben Beckerich
From saint helens, oregon
Joined Jun 24, 2011
266 points
Bucky
Boissal wrote:

Nice!!!! That made me laugh heartily. A rapist bear and an Aye, cunt all in one, grammatically correct post. Well done.
J. Albers
From Colorado
Joined Jul 11, 2008
2,221 points

Stairway to Heaven
I think you're mixing up style and substance.

Yxx cxn xndxrstxnd whxt x xm wrxtxng xvxn xf x rxplxcx xll thx vxwxls wxth xn "x" (t gts lttl hrdr f y dn't vn kn whr th vwls r).

Or as Dr Johnson said:

"...academies have been instituted, to guard the avenues of their languages, to retain fugitives, and repulse intruders; but their vigilance and activity have hitherto been vain; sounds are too volatile and subtle for legal restraints; to enchain syllables, and to lash the wind, are equally the undertakings of pride..."
Martin le Roux
From Superior, CO
Joined Jul 16, 2003
155 points
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
I overuse commas,,,,,and semi colons for effect; don't really care. My aunt used to write letters with several !!!!!! exclamations after each and every sentence. I'm broken of that habit by now. Woodchuck ATC
Joined Nov 29, 2007
3,090 points
RJN
I don't even know what the fuck syntax is? Ryan N
From Bellingham, WA
Joined May 21, 2009
183 points
(the semi-colon use is actually correct) Buff Johnson
Joined Dec 19, 2005
1,494 points
Jul 2, 2013
mai inglish iz bely bely ghooud !!!

;)
bearbreeder
Joined Mar 1, 2009
1,876 points
Aiding. Photo by Locker.
They don't bother me that much. I try to adhere to standard usage (the proper term, "grammatically correct" or "grammatical errors" are terms fraught with issues), but we all make mistakes, and we may come from wildly varying educational backgrounds. And some of us may not be speaking our native language.

A forum like this is the Internet equivalent of a casual conversation.

Judge not unless ye be judged and all that.
teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 16, 2012
636 points
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH
Buff Johnson wrote:
(the semi-colon use is actually correct)

Almost, actually. For it to be correct, the semi-colon would be separating two independent clauses. However, "don't care" is lacking a subject and therefore is not a complete clause. Sorry der, di'n meanter currectya.

And frankly, there are many posts on MP that require a re-read (or three) in order to accurately guess what each mistake meant, thus making a full sentence and thought.

It's really not that hard, put your post in word first, some browsers even do it for you! No reason to come off as an idiot, just re-read your post a time or two, can't kill'ya. Some people even make it fun!

Anywho, try this one on for size!

"The placement was good .. It was body weight .. It not like if one takes a fall and the placement was good ... And now we can assume that it walk.. It possible... In this case the climber hung on it, and if he with 40 yrs of pushing climbing and still going at it ... Now I'm getting of topic... Just try to believe the cam was good and failed or I wouldn't of posted this ... I broke a blue aliens new style but the fall was pretty high factor .. So of course the forces exited the rating of the cam.. I don't know ... I think of starting to climb with masrecams or bd .. Anyone have preference on small gear.. I loved aliens but now I change"

Now tell me you read that once, all the way through, cleanly, and you didn't go "huhwhathowyousay?" at least three times.
Brendan Blanchard
From Boulder, CO
Joined Oct 18, 2010
309 points
Brendan Blanchard wrote:

There are more uses to the semi-colon than separating two independent clauses; fucking super comma.
Buff Johnson
Joined Dec 19, 2005
1,494 points

Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH

Great clip, I hope you're not using it to dismiss the OP though. That would be missing the point of the video. I loved the clip, and the section on proper presentation is very relevant to the OP's point. Presentation is key. If people wish to remain 'internetting' trolls, then change nothing; if you wish to present yourself in a respectable manner and carry a better image, then it's not that hard to change.

I've received several partner requests through MP that I have entirely dismissed or ignored based on the grammar/spelling and general presentation someone gives in a single email. No, I don't pick partners based on proper usage of the semi-color, but I certainly won't pick a partner who can't bother with a period, capital letter, or complete thought.

And finally, to defend myself and my possible failure to adhere to the minutia of grammar: In grammar, you need to know all the rules in order to break them for the purpose of personal expression.
Brendan Blanchard
From Boulder, CO
Joined Oct 18, 2010
309 points
Mathematical!
Brendan Blanchard wrote:

Nope, not trying to dismiss anyone's points. It's just food for thought. The video addresses both sides of the argument, which is why I posted it.
Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Joined Jul 11, 2008
123 points

Page 1 of 6.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!