Michigan Ice Fest 2013

By Bill Thompson
Jan 23, 2013
Everest Base Camp
Hope we can see some Mountain Project Folks at Ice Fest this year. One of our strongest line ups ever with: Will Gadd Zoe Hart Mark Wilford Joe Josephson and FabriIo Zangrilli. Check out michiganicefest.com for details

By Burt Lindquist
From Madison, WI
Jan 23, 2013
Trying to stay warm up on Brownstone Wall Red Rock...
Bill.

Don't forget to mention the release of the new guidebook too!

I myself am for sure coming to MIIF2013 this year. I will be up this coming weekend as well to check in on ice conditions... take in the big No-mogen... stride ski at Valley Spur..

By Bill Thompson
Jan 27, 2013
Everest Base Camp
Guidebook is now available and will be bringing over to Ice Fest!

By Michael Sullivan
From Madison, WI
Jan 27, 2013
I am very pumped for this! Does anyone want to car pool up there with me on Friday? I've got a little Rav 4 available for use that weekend. I work until 7PM on Friday night at Fontana but with some luck they might let me free a little early. I realize this puts the arrival time in Munising at around midnight but, hey, it would be worth it right?

By Bill Thompson
Jan 28, 2013
Everest Base Camp
Drive careful and stop by Sydney's as the evening festivities will still be going on!

By Juggler
Jan 28, 2013
Ice at SR
We have room on our truck going up from South Suburbs of Chicago Thurs and returning Monday eve. Let us know if anyone wants to ride with us and chip in on gas. Thanks

By Mr.Willem
From Madison, WI
Jan 29, 2013
Are there any climbs up there that require rock pro for anchoring?

By jon jugenheimer
From Madison
Jan 29, 2013
hi
All anchors are off trees or ice screws. No rock gear is needed anywhere on the lakeshore. And when you get there, you will realize why, the sandstone crumbles away if you touch it...

By Burt Lindquist
From Madison, WI
Jan 29, 2013
Trying to stay warm up on Brownstone Wall Red Rock...
Very unlikely you will ever need rock gear. Sling for trees is a must for TR's and maybe alot of of that in a few cases. The rock is very soft and has very little cracks.

By jon jugenheimer
From Madison
Jan 29, 2013
hi
Also, public service message to all. Don't girth hitch trees. The webbing gets tighter and tighter and over seasons of doing so, it damages trees. You can put a loop of webbing around a tree without it needing to be tight.

By Mr.Willem
From Madison, WI
Jan 29, 2013
Cool, thanks for the replies!

By Carl Sherven
Feb 4, 2013
Haven't heard any reports on ice conditions. How is it up there?

By jon jugenheimer
From Madison
Feb 5, 2013
hi
It's good. Everything that comes in on an average year is in from Sand Point Road to Dairyland. Lot's of Ice to climb. Don't know about the further stuff.