Maybe buying a house in Spain... where?

By dbrizzle
Jul 31, 2012

My brother and I are thinking about buying a house in Spain. Any suggestions? I would like to be close to climbing. I think were looking at SE Spain near Murcia Alicante?

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on MP?

By Nick Votto
Jul 31, 2012
Bolton, VT

The cool thing about Spain is that there's sooo much climbing, everywhere! Personally I would buy near Valencia, which puts you close to a great smaller city, a bunch of climbing areas and more importantly lots of small airports so you can go cheaply to Mallorca, Italy, France, or wherever you want!

By Princess Mia
From Vail
Jul 31, 2012
Chillin' at City of Rocks

Just get a big house so we can all come and visit!!!!

:-)

By manuel rangel
From Tempe, Arizona
Aug 22, 2012

You can't beat Barcelona but it is on the other side of Spain. I have a couple friends that have homes in Cornudella De Montsant. Siurana and it's fantastic limestone is on one side of town and Montsant with multipitch pocket pulling on the other. Margalef is not too far.

By Dave-o
From Boulder,CO
Aug 22, 2012

manuel rangel wrote:

By kimmik
From Sevilla la Nueva, Madrid
Aug 27, 2012
Plataforma Gredos

Try in the Madrid area. There is a housing crisis so you probably get very good deals. We bought land then built but would not recommend it unless your Spanish and pocketbook are very strong. Pedriza is rock land and then Gredos is fantastic. Look at Fb pages on Carlos Suarez and up in Barcelona Kilian Jornet. Good Luck let us know how the search goes.

By Matthias Holladay
From Durango, Colorado
Sep 13, 2012
Find these and enjoy some new routes!

Valencia is the best place to purchase a house.

By D. Durrant
From Utah, USA
Sep 14, 2012

I have traveled throughout Spain and climbed in many different locations. If I wanted to live in a medium sized city I would pick Granada, close to the mountains (skiing), climbing, and the sea (good and bad naked).

The small mountain top town of Alaro in Andalucia would be a great location for access to massive amounts of climbing and culture and not far from Malaga and it's airport.

For a big city I really love Barcelona, easy movement through the city, great food and culture. There is a lot of climbing near there also but the weather isn't as nice as Andalucia.

Ahhh, and Mallorca.... I could live the rest of my days in one of the non-tourists towns on this beautiful island. If you needed to make a living there is the low hanging fruit of the tourist money. The climbing and diving on Mallorca could keep me busy for years and years.

One last location to mention, the Canary Islands. I know they are not really near the mainland but there is great climbing and the islands are some of the most beautiful places I have ever visited.

¡Viva España!