Lower Devils Canyon After Rain

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Dec 20, 2013
tanuki

What is the rock type at Lower Devils Canyon? Does it become brittle or weak (like sandstone) after getting wet?

By Ryan S.
From Scottsdale, AZ
Dec 20, 2013

You should be good the day after. It's volcanic rock. I'm hoping to get to the pond tomorrow if it's not raining. The clouds in phoenix are looking menacing

By RyanJames
Dec 20, 2013
Photo by Aaron Lavinsky

It will be PERFECT out there!!! Have fun! Lower Devils Canyon is awesome!!!

By lou
Dec 20, 2013
Whitney portal.....bony fingers

Hey NC climber..... lower devils, the pond, atlantis, apache leap, owens river gorge, are all Tuff. Which is spewed out volcanic ash is such amounts as to form sediment hundreds of feet in depth. Commonly called dacite. Its is very soft and full of air; hence very light in weight and weak in structure. You can pick up quite a large boulder of dacite by hand which would require a crane if it were granite. Edges tend to be brittle and weak... softened by rain. Although not as soft as some sandstone... would be preferable to let it dry a day.

cheers lou

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Dec 20, 2013
tanuki

Cool! Thanks for the replies.

I went to LDC for the first time last week, and I am HOOKED! The place is amazing. I just got to do a few of the routes on the Totem Pole and am excited to get to know the area better.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Dec 20, 2013
tanuki

Thanks, Lou! Look forward to doing something in Sedona with you after the first of the year.

By Joe Cayer
From Mesa, Az
Dec 21, 2013
Torchraker!!

My wife and I are planning to run out to the Refuge on Sunday. The road is probably going to be muddy as hell, but the rock should be fine.