|Los Alamos Crags
There is a great array of crags near the town of Los Alamos, on the various rhyolite outcrops and canyons nearby. The Dungeon area is the hardman sport climbing area nearby and sees frequent visits, but most of the other areas are obscure and have very little information published in guidebooks. Most locals climb mainly at White Rock or the Dungeon. For those who don't mind hiking 10-15 minutes, the crags and canyons in Los Alamos are worth exploring and have a lot of potential.
- The Dungeon: The best and most popular crag nearby. Premier overhung rhyolite sport climbing in a beautiful setting. A great summer area.
- The Back Rocks: North of Clifty in upper Rendia Canyon with about 20 routes.
- Clifty: A Rhyolite crag near the town of Los Alamos. A nice get-away for locals.
- Upper Clifty: On the top of The Clifty Hill and can be seen from the north community of Los Alamos.
- Y, The: hosts 45' crack climbs in a narrow portion of lower Los Alamos Canyon. A good choice for basalt climbing in Los Alamos/White Rock in the summer.
- Los Alamos Canyon: A selection of ice and rock climbs can be found in Los Alamos Canyon, just south of the town of Los Alamos.
- School Canyon: A vast tuff crag with lots of potential for route development and lots of fun bouldering. Most of the routes are pretty short but tend to offer stiff and entertaining climbing.
- Pueblo Canyon: Decent quality streambed bouldering area as well as longer cracks on less-than-perfect rock.
- other undocumented areas: Lots of excellent bouldering and other climbing can be found in the hills and canyons near Los Alamos for those willing to explore. Go find it!
From I-25, head either north or south toward Santa Fe (depending on where you are coming from), and get onto highway 285/84 toward Pojoaque. From Pojoaque head west on highway 502. Highway 502 will take you to the Los Alamos/White Rock split. Follow highway 501 to Los Alamos, and look at individual area directions from there.
59 Total Routes
['4 Stars',1],['3 Stars',17],['2 Stars',23],['1 Star',15],['Bomb',0]
Browse More Classics in Los Alamos Crags
Mountain Project's determination of some of the classic, most popular, highest rated routes for Los Alamos Crags:
Featured Route For Los Alamos Crags
Latest Regional Forum Messages