Looking for TR possiblites around Southwestern NC

By LB Mullin Jr.
From Gunnison, CO
Dec 28, 2012
Base camp for Torres del Paine

I'm looking for some help finding some toproping somewhere in Southwestern NC. Around Asheville ideally.

I'm at home from CO for the holidays. Looking to meet a friend coming up from GA somewhere in the middle to get a little climbing in. I am a experienced climber, but I had to leave the rack at home due to weight restrictions on my flight. My friend is more of a beginner so I am looking for easier route possibilites. I have search on this site and having a hard time finding info.

Anybody know of places to set up topropes that are worth while? I have heard Crowders is crowded. I would rather stay out toward Asheville since she is coming from that direction. I have no problem doing some exposed scrambling to access the routes. Just looking for somewhere with hopefully not to many people, and a couple routes to kill some time and get a pump. Thanks

By Be Esperanza
From Asheville, NC
Dec 28, 2012
OKellys Crack, J Tree

The South side of Looking Glass? I haven't climbed there, but I seem to remember someone saying that there's some top roping over there.

By nbrown
From western NC
Dec 28, 2012
Top of Shortoff with the Bonsai

You should be able to set some top-ropes up at Rumbling Bald, which is about 40 minutes south of Asheville. It is a complex cliff line but there should be plenty of folks there to point you in the right direction.

By Sure-man
From Boone, NC/ S.F.
Dec 28, 2012
On Las Aguajas with TW0 summit in the background

Also, check out Cedar Rock (or mountain?) around there. Cant give you much info, but I used to work at a sumer camp and set up topropes there quite a bit. Its been a while since then. I remember there also being some easy smallish multipitch sport routes that could be fun for a beginner. Good luck!

-Brett

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Dec 29, 2012
El Chorro

If you end up near Brevard (and you should) go into Lookinig Glass Outfitters. Phil will sort you out.

By photocodo
From Hendersonville, NC
Dec 29, 2012
The "crack"

I live in Asheville. south side of LG has some fun routes but if your just looking to TR there is only 1 5.6 climb that you can walk to the top of, everything else will need to be led. Rumbling bald is similar, you may find a few things but nothing consistent.

When I want to TR or take people who arent experienced I go to Crowders Mt. Its about 1.5hrs from Asheville and you can TR 80% of the routes there. There are some classic lines from 5.4 all the way up through the grades. Ive never really had an issue with crowds, even on weekends its not too bad. Some of our favorites are

Pleasant Dreams 5.8 mountainproject.com/v/pleasant-dreams/106099932

Gumbies 5.10 mountainproject.com/v/gumbies-go-home/106219129

The wall 5.10a mountainproject.com/v/the-wall/106658094

Burn Crack 5.10c mountainproject.com/v/burn-crack/106369722

The back side of davids castle has some fun 8s and 9s. There is a fun 5.9 sport routes on the red wall.

Its a bit of a drive but if you want to walk right to the top of the mountain and throw a rope and climb, this is your place.

Cheers

By Chris Massey
Dec 29, 2012

Photocodo nailed it. Glass is great but waste of time for TR. Same for RB. Crowders is right in my backyard. I am mostly into trad multipitch so I dont spend a lot of time there. It is however your best option for TR.