Looking for safe climbing TR areas with very mobile 3yr and 11month old

By Chris Darr
From Golden, Co
May 14, 2014
Barefoot on the summit of Mount of the Holy Cross.
I've got a 3yr old that is interested in climbing and a crawling 11 month old that won't sit still. I'd like to find an area that I can climb and put the 3yr and her 6yr old friend on TR to climb as well.
I'm familiar with Wall Street (Potash) but I'm concerned that even with all the adult supervision the 11 month will crawl into the roadway, he's pretty damn fast.
Ice Cream Parlor has stuff that may be marginal for the kids to TR but there's the logistics of someone hanging with the kid in the parking lot and swapping out parents, etc.
I was curious if there was some area that I'm not aware of or may be forgetting that has easy access, distanced from busy roads and cliffs so I don't kill my kid and still have a pleasant time.

Thanks.

By Willie Wilson
From America
May 14, 2014
Here we go...

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
May 14, 2014
When I was a bum at Frey
...

By Adam Burch
From San Dieger
May 14, 2014
you local?
How hard does the 3 year old lead?

By Ray Lovestead
From Boulder, CO
May 14, 2014
I pity the fool
Go to Castle Rock up Boulder canyon. Very safe area for the kiddos to run around and there is a 5.2 on the far left side that your 3 year old can climb on.

By Tug
May 14, 2014
Leash the 11 month old to the bumper. Problem solved. A better idea is just put out a big bowl if water and food and leave them at home. Kids are annoying and always seem to steal my food and piss on my rope. Not cool.

By ze_dirtbag
From TBD
May 14, 2014
cottonmouth
a gym?

By Chris Darr
From Golden, Co
May 14, 2014
Barefoot on the summit of Mount of the Holy Cross.
I know the area pretty well, adding small kids to the mix is new. I didn't learn in a gym why should they have to?

By Elliott Crooks
May 14, 2014
Try Penitente Canyon: nice climbing & TR & enclosed-the kids can't get very far away.

By jeep gaskin
May 14, 2014
i'm in the southeast so i have no suggestions for where to take your little monsters, but i have a suggestion on safety. put a tag line on them. with any friction at all on the rope you won't be able to lower them, they just won't weigh enough. a tag will let you pull them down.

By Chris Darr
From Golden, Co
May 20, 2014
Barefoot on the summit of Mount of the Holy Cross.
Penitente is next on the list and Lime creek soon after. Thanks for the suggestion of the tag line, at this point she's not going all that high but will soon enough.

By DanielRich
May 20, 2014
What is the range that you are interested in? This is posted in southern Utah deserts but are you interested in Maple canyon stuff or even has high north as Rock canyon or American Fork?

Or are you just interested in Moab and fairly tight radius around that.

By Brendan Magee
May 20, 2014
In Boulder Canyon on recommend Nip & Tuck area. It's about 10ish miles up the canyon on the right hand side. The approach is about 30 seconds. There are two slabs that create kind of an open book with chains at the top of each slab. You do a short hike around on either the left or right. The only issue you might be concerned with is it's literally right off the road.

By Chris Darr
From Golden, Co
May 30, 2014
Barefoot on the summit of Mount of the Holy Cross.
I was looking specifically for immediate area around Moab as were were headed there a few weekends ago. We ended up along wall street and all turned out fine.

I do appreciate the northern Ut suggestions as we'll be heading through there in a couple of months.

Thanks to everyone for the CO and UT suggestions, I'm keeping track for when I've got the kids along.