Looking for climbing partner(s) near Erie, PA

By Lauren Smith
From Missoula, Montana
Apr 13, 2011

I'm moving to Erie PA next week, and I'm looking for people to climb with. My regular partner lives in Boulder CO, and trying to convince someone who lives 15 min from Eldo to visit PA is difficult.

Also, are there any gyms near Erie? I'm new to the area, and I have no idea what's there.

Thanks!
Lauren

By heather1983
May 10, 2012

Hi Lauren,

Did you have any luck? I'm going to be moving to Erie end of August. Living in the Baltimore/DC area right now. From looking online there doesn't seem to be any gyms within an hour of Erie.

--Heather

By Lauren Smith
From Missoula, Montana
May 16, 2012

Sorry, but I'm not actually in PA anymore. Currently I'm in South Carolina (and still looking for climbing partners!)

However, when I was in PA I met some guys named Doug Stoltz and Andrew Heidt, I'm pretty sure they're both on MP (and they're both on FB). Doug is a great guy and he'd probably be more than happy to climb with you. We'd go down to McConnell's Mills on the weekends sometimes, which was a bit of a drive but the closest outdoor climbing that I knew of.

Hope this helps!

By Doug S
May 20, 2012
Edge of Time <br />

Hey!

Feel like driving up to NRG?

By Timothy Cha
Jun 7, 2012

Hi All,
Hope to run into some of you in the future. I'm also going to be moving to Erie this August and looking to keep climbing. Got friends out in western MA but the Gunks and other routes out there are a bit far.
I scouted out Erie a few months ago and the only thing I could find within 1 hour was a _small_ room at a college 30 min. south where people can apparently boulder and do very short toproping. Good luck searching out gyms/drives!

By Timothy Cha
Sep 7, 2012

Hi All,
Edinboro University has a tiny climbing/bouldering room that I am going to check out tomorrow. In a few weeks I'll be driving to Pittsburgh to go to one of the gyms there. If anyone has a recommendation on a good gym there or would like to come with let me know.

By Victor Manuel
From Erie, PA
Nov 26, 2012

I know it's been a while since someone last posted on this topic but, has anyone had positive results for finding climbing areas near Erie? I moved out to Erie this past summer for school and would like to get some climbing in before going back home for the holidays.

I've been tempted to check out Edinboro U but the drive has been a deterrent, especially now that it's snowing. If people are down to car pool, it may just make this a worthwhile venture. Any takers?

By Timothy Cha
Nov 27, 2012

Hi Victor,
I also moved to Erie this August and this was one of the only forums where I found people discussing climbing opportunities. I've been to Edinboro a few times; it's cheap ($30 for a semester pass) but it's also really small - a converted racquetball court.
I've heard McConnell's Mills is the place to go in warmer weather, but I missed my chance this season. I've been to a gym in Pittsburgh but I have friends down there and made a weekend of it. I'm also installing a hangboard in my apt to stay in shape.

Send me a PM with contact info if you are interested in coordinating something.
Tim

By BrianKostelnik57
Nov 27, 2012

Hey all! I'm in Butler, PA. About 1.5-2 hrs south of Erie. Unfortunately, there's not much up towards Erie. There's some rock in Allegheny Natl Forest as well as some ice....speaking of which, It's getting cold...who's interested in some ice climbing this winter? i need a partner...

By Randy Aristotle
From Orchard Park, NY
Nov 27, 2012

I haven't been to McConnell's, but I would recommend the ANF as an underrated bouldering mecca with adequate top roping opportunities. Apart from the 'known' areas -- Rimrock, Jake's Rocks, Minister Creek -- there are probably a dozen or more other areas that aren't labeled on a map or brochure: Fool's Creek, South Slater, Hedgehog, Gardner's to name just a few. If you visit those places, you're likely to be the only one(s) out.

Brian - This will be my first season on ice, but I would be interested in climbing this winter. The only ice I was aware of is near Kinzua Dam. Do you know if there are other more remote climbs in the ANF?

By BrianKostelnik57
Nov 27, 2012

Randy, the ice near Kinzua Dam is the only ice that I know of for sure. There are a few other spots further south that I have explored that may provide some possibilities (mostly mixed climbing), but I haven't found much that will come in for sure. If this winter is like last, it will be more bouldering than ice anyways :(. If you're interested in getting out on ice or rock, i'm down to meet up. I don't know much about the rock in ANF. I just know it's there, and I've heard it's pretty good. All of northern PA is WAY underrated. There's a ton of really good stuff to be done. You just have to spend the time exploring to find the good stuff.

By AThomas
Nov 27, 2012

www.grizguides.com/iceguide.php

By Victor Manuel
From Erie, PA
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for the input everyone. Randy and Brian, would you happen to know where I could find a climbing guide for ANF?

By BrianKostelnik57
Nov 28, 2012

bluebiner.com/

By AThomas
Nov 28, 2012

BrianKostelnik57 wrote:
bluebiner.com/ That's supposedly the comprehensive guide to PA rock climbing. I don't own a copy, and I have only glanced through it. I can't speak for the quantity of ANF rock contained in there.

ANF 8 pages = 1 pg intro + 4 pgs Rim Rock (w/routes) + 1 pg Minister Creek (directions, no routes) + 1 pg Kelly Pines (directions, no routes) + 1 pg Ice Cubes (directions, no routes)

By Brian.P
Dec 7, 2012

Here's some ANF climbing beta.

For anyone not living in or near the forest Rim Rock is probably the best option. It's very easy to find and requires no approach. The boulders are right in front of you. Also, the climbing is very good. One more thing, this late in the season the gate may be closed which would necessitate a short approach. You can walk up the gated road (easy walking but long) or you can walk up the easy trail from Kinzua beach to below the overlook. You'll probably have to park outside the gate at Kinzua Beach and walk to the trailhead, maybe 5-10min, but the trail itself is only a 25-30min hike.

Jake's is ok. Again it's easy to get to, but the climbing is less concentrated and the boulders tend to be grimier and of less quality. What's climbable is good, it just takes longer to ferret it out.

Minister... I wouldn't bother with Minister. It's pretty green and if you're driving into the forest, unless you're down for alot of cleaning, you have better options.

There are other areas around. Hedgehog and south slater were both mentioned. These are good areas. Hedgehog in particular. But both are not really easy to find if you're not sure of where you're going and again, the bouldering at Rim Rock is really just as good (maybe not quite as good as Heghehog but alot easier to get to). Honestly you're looking at 45min to an hour walking to Heghehog after the drive and maybe 20 for slater if you hit the trail right. If you don't it's easy to get kind of lost back there.

Conclusion... Check out Rim Rock if you're lacking on time or if you just want to climb on some good boulders without worrying about finding them. If you've got a weekend and feel like poking around at some other areas grab a map and go for it.

By Randy Aristotle
From Orchard Park, NY
Dec 21, 2012

Thanks for the clarification Brian.

It sounds like a trip to Hedgehog is on the docket for me. How do the TR routes compare with Rimrock (height / difficulty)? Flyingnutmuncher mentioned there would be a lot of potential there. Also - do you have any general pictures of the Hedgehog area? I can see it in Google Satellite view but it's difficult to get a sense of the scale of those boulders.

Speaking of satellite view, there are a TON of boulders visible within the ANF using historical imagery (Google Earth) - the greatest concentration seems to be around Minister / Slater / Hedgehog.

By Brian.P
Dec 21, 2012

Hedgehog is pretty cool. There's quite a bit of rock scattered over several hillsides down the trail. Some of those hills have bigger rocks (think like the tall points at Rim Rock or a bit shorter) and some of them have mostly boulders. There isn't really a right hillside but of the couple I've been on I definitely have a favorite. Difficulty is whatever you want to make it. Rim and Hedgehog both have climbs near either end of the spectrum. I will say that it may be quite a bit harder to access the tops at Hedgehog to set up a TR than at Rim depending what you want to climb. My advice would be to throw your TR set up in a crash pad and grab a few other people with big crash pads and go out and get on some of the bigger boulders, which is where Hedghog really shines.

Like I said, in Minister itself I haven't seen anything worth climbing on. The hillsides around that area have more climbable boulders but they're scattered. The hills down near Slater are alright bouldering locales.

Definitely alot of boulders around. Have fun

By shooperstar
Jan 18, 2013

How do you get to Slater/hedgehog?