Looking for a "mentor" willing to pay!

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Apr 29, 2013

Moved to Colorado a few months ago with the intent to learn the ways of sport climbing.

I currently live in the lakewood area so climbs over there would be ideal.

Ive done gym climbing a number of times and have a harness, chalk bag, and shoes. I plan to accumulate all the other necessary gear, but figure I should know what I am doing before dishing out all the cash.

If your willing to have me tag along or go one-on-one then I will be willing to pay.

Not sure on the going rate or what this type of instruction is worth so if you are interested you can contact me here or at my cell: 928-287-0490.

Thanks

By VARMENT
From Boulder, Colorado
base of castelton

PM'd you

By Evan Sanders
From Westminster, CO
Flaming Pumpkin

A guide is going to cost you anywhere from 150-400 for about a half day of climbing.

Someone on here will probably be nice enough to take you out for free. You have a lot of very helpful people amidst the sea of not-so-helpful ones. If no one has offered in 2 1/2 weeks I'll be out there and I'll show you the ropes (*rimshot*)

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Apr 29, 2013

Varment- Im not sure how to check PM's here, but I emailed you back!

Evan Sanders- I would imagine a full on guide is going to be very expensive and thats not exactly what I'm looking for... someone who has been doing this for a few years and enjoys helping out the newbies is perfect.. However I dont mind paying for good instruction whether that's in cash, gear, beers, etc.

When you are in this area give me a call/PM me and we will go from there!

thanks

By Jon H
From Boulder
At the matching crux

Cash and gear should be unnecessary. Beers, however, are always appreciated.

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
OMG, I winz!!!

Do you belay? Do you lead belay? I've taken out noobs plenty of times but if you're not a safe and competent belayer then not too many are going to be interested.

By Matt Shepard
From Broomfield, CO
Longs Peak Cirque

Ryan,

What is your Availability?

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Apr 29, 2013

Ive belayed everytime when I go to the gym if that is what you are referring to. Dont think Ive done any lead belaying because that would mean we are not doing a "top rope" style... which is the only thing Ive done.

Maybe some background information will help with this.
I am 23 years old, graduated from ASU in December with a bachelors in finance.
Moved up here to start my career working as a financial advisor.

I dont mean for this info to make me seem snobby, just want to convey that I am not some punk kid looking for the thrill of climbing up a mountain.

I'd like to think that I am very responsible, learn quickly, and am the type of person that respects my superiors. If you are taking the time to instruct me then you will have my attention, respect, and willingness to learn.

I would be available Saturday/Sundays for the most part.

During the week will be a little rough as I work 7-5 then hit the gym 7-9, but I can always take a friday off or get cut my day short.

Thanks!

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Apr 29, 2013

Be picky about who you choose.
If someone wants cash, but isn't a guide... that might not be your best option.

If you want me to take you out for a while, then my suggestion is to come out for a few trail/crag days and volunteer your time and I or one of the other 'old timers' there will get you out on at least a pitch.

This is a win-win. You get to contribute to the community, and you find/associate with people who are charitable/volunteering types. If you are interested in being on the 'work list' of Emails of people that we invite to work on trails, PM me and I'll add you.

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Apr 29, 2013

Tony- Good info. Definitely add me to the email list and whenever you go out and there is room for me shoot me a PM or text.

thank you.

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH

By Tj Elmblad
Apr 29, 2013

I live in lakewood, no need to pay. Lets go to clear creek sometime any evening friday or weekend works for me. I would love to pass the favor along, as people taught me out of the kindness of there hearts. TRAVIS 720 935 0657 TEXT ME, CALL ME WHATEVER WORKS.

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Apr 29, 2013

TJ- I cant tell if that is sarcasm but either way Ill shoot you a text.

thanks

By VerticalUrge
Apr 30, 2013

the only payment you should be willing to offer and a good mentor willing to accept would be your time, effort, and committment. Put your fucking wallet away and whip out your fucking nuts

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
Apr 30, 2013

If my instructor wants me to whip out my nuts I think they have the wrong idea.................. hah

If I could get away with not having to actually pay for instruction that would be great. I would be more then happy to pay for gas, entrance to parks, or any of that stuff.

anyways, thanks for the interesting advice.

By brat
Apr 30, 2013
Celebrating on Intersection Rock, JTree.

I've taught several folks "the ropes", and offers to pay for gas/entrance and maybe beer or dinner occasionally is "the going rate" in my world.

But here's a tip... most climbing gyms offer lead climbing classes. If you take one of their classes, they will teach you to lead belay and usually have you catch some lead falls. Spend your money on THAT, then when you post up on MP you can say "I know how to safely lead belay!"

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Apr 30, 2013
I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my "Bourne Identity" style reboot of The Eiger Sanction. This was from the rough draft's first act.

I think more or less by definition a mentor wouldn't charge you money. I live right up the street from Lakewood in Golden. if you ever have an inclination to learn how to trad climb, I'd love to throw my name in the hat. I love teaching that stuff, and I'm always stoked to meet new folks to climb with.

By Greg D
From Here
Apr 30, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

Ryan Dodd wrote:
... to learn the ways of sport climbing.

As if it were some ancient chinese art.

Step one: climb up
Step two: clip bolt
Step three: yell take!
Step four: rest
Step five: repeat 1 through 4.
Step six: talk about grades a lot, even the routes you hangdogged.

Now you know the ways of sport climbing.

By Jeff G.
From Fort Collins
Apr 30, 2013
Nearing the end of Thank God Ledge.

You're funny Greg!

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
Apr 30, 2013
Aiding.

By michaeltarne
Apr 30, 2013

Timothy.Klein wrote:
This post makes me wonder: are there any standardized rules about accepting money for climbing instruction? I would think you would need licenses and stuff to do that, but I don't know. I imagine it is only regulated in federal and state parks, but I'm curious. (I'm not looking to do any informal guiding like that at all, I'm just curious.)

As soon as you ask for money, there's a whole new world of liability- basically, you end up responsible for their actions, and if they get hurt, you're screwed.

By nicholas patterson
From Boulder, CO
Apr 30, 2013
alpine happiness.

Timothy.Klein wrote:

in america, you can do anything for money. if they pay it, you can keep it. if you don't get caught, you can keep doing it.
my business suffers quite often, from uninsured, unlicensed people, conducting business without the necessary permits, and are therefore able to underbid those of us that do operate legally and legitimately.

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Apr 30, 2013
OMG, I winz!!!

Brendan Blanchard wrote:
To address the belaying aspect, I've been told by a guide in the North Conway area: "You get really good at soloing as a guide. Guides are always soloing when they're on the job."

This is true but I don't guide for money. When I guide I take out friends for laughs and fun times. When new people want to learn I want them to be safe belayers first. Like someone else posted, this can be learned easily in a gym before going outside and wasting a ton of time.

By Reed McCoy
From Denver
Apr 30, 2013

What license do you need? Wouldn't an AMGA single-pitch instructor course be enough to take someone out, and legally accept payment? Or would you have to be affiliated with a guide service? Curious as I'm off to take that course this weekend (although I have no intention of guiding).

I agree with the others about the mentorship...find some folks you like at the gym or on MP and have them take you out to Clear Creek and cover their beer and gas. No need to lay cash out.

Be careful about jumping into trad too quick--sport climbing is just an extension of gym climbing, but there is a lot of misinformed trad climbers out there who would be more than happy to teach you the wrong way.

By Ryan Dodd
From Lakewood, CO
May 2, 2013

All very good info guys! It seems that there are enough people willing to help me out without requiring a payment. 2 birds! dont upset those who are certified instructors, and Ill have extra money for gear!

thanks

By Zack S.
From Prescott, AZ
May 2, 2013
Me

Brendan Blanchard wrote:

I've heard guides from North Conway to Arizona say things like this, and I think it's total macho, self-aggrandizing crap. It takes me ten to fifteen minutes to teach my clients how to lead belay, and generally it takes one to two pitches for them to stop short roping me and give a smooth lower. If I'm sketched out I'll give them a grigri or have them use a backup belayer, or both. Are most guides, including myself, going to fall on that 5.7 the twentieth time we've climbed it? No, but that's not the point. Guides should be instructors, not too reckless and lazy to teach a simple skill.
Anyhow, good luck to the OP!