Long Mountain is a high ridge running along the West side of Trout Run Valley. There are tremendous views to the East looking over Big Schloss and the Shenandoah valley. Views to the West look out over the rolling ridges of West VA.
Most of the climbing is trad climbing. Top ropes can be set with caution because the top of the cliffs are lacking in decent size trees. There are some huge boulders that can be slung. Use caution. Climbs are 45 to 80feet in height.
Since the area doesn't get a lot of traffic expect full on adventure climbing including loose rock. This ain't gym climbing.
Driving to the trail head (from VA I81)
- Mile 0: Off I-81 take the Woodstock Exit #283 onto Route 42 South towards Columbia Furnace. This is a right turn at the exit ramp‟s traffic light.
- Mile 5.2: Right onto route 768, Union Church Rd.
- Mile 5.5: Right onto route 675, Wolf Gap Rd.
- Mile 8.4: Right onto route 675, Wolf Gap Rd.
- Mile 10.0: Left onto route 789, Sam Clark Rd.
- Mile 10.3: Bear right at fork on to route 691, Judge Rye Rd.
- Mile 14.3: Park at trailhead for Long Mountain Trail (2900 feet).
There is parking and a primitive campsite on the right side of the road. The sign for the Long Mountain trailhead is not visible form the road but yellow “i” shaped blazes can be seen.
Other than the first 15 minutes there is no formal trail to the cliffs. Allocate around one hour for the hike to and from car to cliffs.
Hike Long Mountain Trial down about 0.6 miles (10 - 15 minutes) to 2800 feet and large clearing on right. Continue approximately another 100 yards and watch for an unmarked use trail heading up hill on the right. This trail leads steeply up and then through a small rocky area to the ridge of Long Mountain. Once at the top follow the ridge along use trails.
A 'work in progress' guide can be found at the Potomac Mountain Club website. potomacmountainclub.org/compon...
Weather station 5.0 miles from here
31 Total Routes
['4 Stars',3],['3 Stars',8],['2 Stars',9],['1 Star',1],['Bomb',0]
Featured Route For Long Mountain
Latest Regional Forum Messages