Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Location Change: Beanfest Fall 2012 - October 27-28, 2012, ***West Stronghold***
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 2 of 3.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 1, 2012
At the anchors.

Newly confirmed sponsors:

Red Chili (via Excalibur distributing)

Petzl (via Summit Hut)


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 2, 2012
At the anchors.

If you haven't already done so, please take a look at the list of items needed for Beanfest above and let me know what you can bring. You can email me directly, post a comment here, or update the Google spreadsheet.

Thanks!


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 5, 2012
At the anchors.

Looking for a way to make the next couple of hours pass quickly, so you can get the weekend started? Try taking a few minutes to review the list of Beanfest volunteer items needed. It's just been updated!


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 5, 2012
At the anchors.

Holy cow! Thanks for stepping up, folks; the list just got a lot shorter.


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 8, 2012
At the anchors.

A sample of the awesome prizes to be had at Beanfest on the 27th:


Misty Mountain Cadillac Harness
Misty Mountain Cadillac Harness




Contact Climbing Holds
Contact Climbing Holds




Metolius Rock Rings
Metolius Rock Rings




Superfeet Gift Certificates and Schwag
Superfeet Gift Certificates and Schwag


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 8, 2012
At the anchors.

Directions to Isle of You area:

Go east on I-10 to exit #303 (Tombstone/Bisbee).
Turn right (south) on Arizona Highway 80 and drive for about 20 miles.
Just before Tombstone, turn left onto Middlemarch Road. The road is just before you head up the last hill into Tombstone, and itís well-signed.
Follow this gravel road for almost ten miles to Forest Road 687. Unfortunately, the sign that says FR 687 is past the intersection, visible only from the other direction. FR 687 only goes left, and itís just past a cattle guard with a National Forest sign near it. The view just after you turn onto FR 687 looks like this:

View from FR 687
View from FR 687


Follow FR 687 another two miles.
Immediately after a cattle guard, take a final right turn on a dirt road that leads to a circular parking area. This is the entrance to Isle of You.
Drive past Sweet Rock (below) and continue downhill to the Isle of You campground.

Sweet Rock
Sweet Rock


FLAG
By Mike Dudley
From Vegas
Oct 8, 2012
Cracker Jack on lead.

@Jim Thanks for the offer! Turns out the lady got work off so I dont have to bum a ride. Well see you guys in the stronghold!


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 11, 2012
At the anchors.

It's only two weeks until Beanfest, and I have no idea who I'm going to nominate to be the next Beanmaster. If you're interested in the job, please message me.


FLAG
By Lowell
From El Paso, Texas USA
Oct 11, 2012
McKelligon Canyon <br />The Saloon <br />Space Seed V3

Very logical date. Super weak sauce planning the event on the same date as the Cor Boulderfest that's been around for almost a decade. Wow, so let the clash begin...


FLAG
By Adrian Allred
From Tucson, Arizona
Oct 11, 2012

Yes let the clash begin...pebble wrestling fest thats been around for almost a decade or attending the longest running (~30 years) gathering of rock climbers, see you guys at Cochise...


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 15, 2012
At the anchors.

Latest Beanfest sponsor:

Rock and Ice Magazine!


FLAG
By Daryl Allan
From Sierra Vista, AZ
Oct 16, 2012
Me and my Fetish I guess.. ;)

Lowell wrote:
Very logical date. Super weak sauce planning the event on the same date as the Cor Boulderfest that's been around for almost a decade. Wow, so let the clash begin...


Just an observation:
Date/Time/Place announcement thread on mp about CoR Boulderfest:
Jul 25, 2012

Date/Time/Place announcement thread on mp about Beanfest event:
Jul 9, 2012



Brigette, shame on you for not making sure there wasn't or wasn't going to be any other climbing - related events planned during this weekend. Your insensitivity is baffling sometimes. /sarc


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 16, 2012
At the anchors.

Daryl: Haha. You crack me up! Not to mention that I announced the Beanfest date via word of mouth back in April. Of all the reasons I've heard so far for folks not to make it to Beanfest, the CoR thing hasn't yet made the list...


FLAG
By aequis
From Vail, AZ
Oct 16, 2012

well....lowell didn't say he wasn't coming...(:


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 22, 2012
At the anchors.

Howdy gang! Less than a week until Beanfest! Woohoo!

Looks like we're going to have an amazing turnout. I've updated the volunteer list with some additional items, so everyone will have enough to eat. If you haven't yet signed up to bring something, please do so ASAP. We've got 106 people RSVPed just on Facebook so far, and only 42 people have signed up to bring something. Please don't make me call you out! ;)

Be sure to bust out your best Halloween costume - the costume contest will have some great prizes.

I'll be down there from Thursday night on; see y'all when you get there!


FLAG
By Daryl Allan
From Sierra Vista, AZ
Oct 23, 2012
Me and my Fetish I guess.. ;)

Hey all. Brigette, I'm not sure if you addressed this on the fb site for the Fest but I thought I would throw it out here to gauge interest:

For my Beanfest, I asked if anyone would be interested in learning to roast their own coffee and didn't get any responses. Then, when Beanfest rolled around, a couple folks came up and asked me when the coffee roasting class was going to be. So, with that said, I was asked if I consider doing the class and the answer is yes but I need to know if folks would be interested. I will drag my roaster and supplies out there to do it but, obviously, it won't be worth doing if no one really wants to learn.

The class would be on how to roast dry [green] coffee beans using a "Whirley Pop" hand crank pop-corn popper. The methods and process could be applied to any of the various roasting methods but I wouldn't expect the class taking more than 45 minutes or so. If i did it, it would be around 8am on Sunday. I've been roasting using this method or about 7 years and can cover all the basics and some coffee blending theory and other intermediate stuff in the class.

That said.. Is anyone interested?

d


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 23, 2012
At the anchors.

Daryl Allan wrote:
Hey all. Brigette, I'm not sure if you addressed this on the fb site for the Fest but I thought I would throw it out here to gauge interest: For my Beanfest, I asked if anyone would be interested in learning to roast their own coffee and didn't get any responses. Then, when Beanfest rolled around, a couple folks came up and asked me when the coffee roasting class was going to be. So, with that said, I was asked if I consider doing the class and the answer is yes but I need to know if folks would be interested. I will drag my roaster and supplies out there to do it but, obviously, it won't be worth doing if no one really wants to learn. The class would be on how to roast dry [green] coffee beans using a "Whirley Pop" hand crank pop-corn popper. The methods and process could be applied to any of the various roasting methods but I wouldn't expect the class taking more than 45 minutes or so. If i did it, it would be around 8am on Sunday. I've been roasting using this method or about 7 years and can cover all the basics and some coffee blending theory and other intermediate stuff in the class. That said.. Is anyone interested? d



I'll put this up on FB and see what happens. My gut feel is YES!


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 24, 2012
At the anchors.

If you haven't already done so, shoot me a PM about what you can bring or update the Google Doc here: Beanfest Volunteer List . If you can't open the Google Doc, you can see a list of what we still need at the top of page 1 of this post.

Remember to bring cash for Beanfest t-shirts/tank tops. They turned out awesome! Tees are $15, and tanks are $20.

See y'all this weekend!


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 24, 2012
At the anchors.

Is anyone interested in being the official Beanfest photographer? I'd love to have some useable pictures to send to our sponsors after the event, so that we can get them to sponsor us again.

There's a free Beanfest t-shirt or tank in it for you!


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 25, 2012
At the anchors.

Brigette wrote:
If you haven't already done so, shoot me a PM about what you can bring or update the Google Doc here: Beanfest Volunteer List . If you can't open the Google Doc, you can see a list of what we still need at the top of page 1 of this post. Remember to bring cash for Beanfest t-shirts/tank tops. They turned out awesome! Tees are $15, and tanks are $20. See y'all this weekend!


BUMP!


FLAG
By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Oct 25, 2012
Colonel Mustard

Adrian Allred wrote:
Yes let the clash begin...pebble wrestling fest thats been around for almost a decade or attending the longest running (~30 years) gathering of rock climbers, see you guys at Cochise...


Hahaha! Classic. He must have some flexibility, shoving that foot so far down his own mouth!


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 26, 2012
At the anchors.

  • **Important*** The Forest Service has come by and announced that it is illegal to sell shirts or gather more than 75 people in the Stronghold without a permit. They *will* be coming to check on us, so regrettably I have to cap Beanfest at 75 people, and I'll have to figure out how to sell the shirts after Beanfest. Please email me with any questions.


FLAG
By adrian korosec
From tucson,az
Oct 30, 2012

I'm very happy the National Forest is enforcing this. We drove by Sunday night to check on porta-potties, and just to check on how the place looked after such a large event. It looked better than I thought it would. Nice surprise.

No porta-potties at the site. Did they get picked-up already or were there none to begin with? If none(major assumption here), then shame on the organizers AND sponsors.

This event has gotten too big for its own good and should be held at an area that is not as sensitive at the Stronghold. Perhaps the Wilcox Playa or something to that effect. Bring it back to its roots...low key and under the radar.


FLAG
By Brigette
From Vancouver, WA
Oct 30, 2012
At the anchors.

wiclimber wrote:
I'm very happy the National Forest is enforcing this. We drove by Sunday night to check on porta-potties, and just to check on how the place looked after such a large event. It looked better than I thought it would. Nice surprise. No porta-potties at the site. Did they get picked-up already or were there none to begin with? If none(major assumption here), then shame on the organizers AND sponsors. This event has gotten too big for its own good and should be held at an area that is not as sensitive at the Stronghold. Perhaps the Wilcox Playa or something to that effect. Bring it back to its roots...low key and under the radar.


Excuse me? If you're that surprised that we left the area spotless, then you know nothing about the event, the organizers, or the local climbing community. Almost without exception, those involved in Beanfest leave the area in better condition than that in which it is found. When, after the porta potties were hauled away, we walked the entire area and picked up trash, the only things we found to pick up were the large quantities of toilet paper already in the wash when we arrived on Friday.

Of all the user groups who take advantage of the Stronghold (RVers, equestrians, ATVers, campers, and climbers), we are one of the most conscious of leave-no-trace ethics. I suggest you take the time to learn all the facts before you decide to opine on what you think should happen.

After as hard as I and numerous volunteers worked to make this event a success and to care for the Stronghold in the process, please forgive me if I feel I need to say to you, "Bite me."


FLAG
By Pat Mac
From Tempe
Oct 30, 2012
Jacks Canyon. Board.

Brigette. You did a great job and was wonderfully clean afterwards. Haters gonna hate. Don't worry he is just an old angry man. That's all. Can't wait for next years!


FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 2 of 3.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3   Next>   Last>>