Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Linville Gorge, NC "the Mummy and Daddy"

By H2O
Oct 2, 2012

Any suggestions on how to get out of Mummy and Daddy once at the top?

By Mike Best
From Charlotte, NC
Oct 2, 2012
Edge of a Dream

1. Once you top out on either you usually rappel down a gully btw the main wall and the mummy buttress to get to the next route. Instead take a faint trail that's at the top of that same gully and continues leading east. You'll do some scrambling and eventually pick up a faint trail/bushwack along the rim back to the spur trail that splits off the Mountain to Sea Trail.

or

2. Climb the Prow and do all three in a day, much better than the bushwacking and you get 3 extra pitches in.

By J-Wright
Oct 2, 2012

Mike nailed it on all points.

Prow great fun, even in tennies and a pack. Beats that damn wet gully.

By Dankasaurus
From Lyons, CO
Oct 2, 2012

Do all three climbs!

By Robb Kranz
Oct 3, 2012

a little help if you aren't up for the triple. Both those routes top out on a giant tower structure, separated from the main buttress by the rap/approach gully (better) used to approach them. If you continue up and right a bit, you'll hit Reggae wall, keep going climber right till you can hike out a steep trail, and then cut left to pick up the trail along the amphitheater rim. In my opinion, this is the better way to approach those two climbs in the first place. That gully is a mess of loose stuff and blowdown.

By wes calkins
Oct 3, 2012

BTW the trails in the gorge aren't the trails that you are use to. They are barely visible and easy to miss. Don't be lulled into the thinking that anything is labeled because its not. The trail from the top of the mummy buttress is not like the trail that splits off the MST,the trail that gets you into the amp, its much smaller. Good luck on your adventure and dont get into trouble.

By H2O
Oct 4, 2012

Thanks to all for the help, much appreciated. While I'm out, and assuming I remember, I'll take a waypoint of the intersection of MST and the trail that leads down to the gully to post for others for future use.

By wes calkins
Oct 4, 2012

for GPS waypoints check with the Linville facebook group and the Linville yahoo group. The people in those 2 paces have more info on the gorge than anyone.