LCC-No Trespassing Signs

By Raysin152
From SLC, UT
May 12, 2014
Hi MPers, I noticed the winter snow caused some no trespassing signs to bloom in LCC on the north side of the road past the gate. Does anyone know what caused these signs to go up? I heard from a climber in passing that this restricted access to some areas, such as the glen. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything, thanks!

By Alex Quitiquit
From Salt Lake City
May 12, 2014
meow
There was a downhill bike trail built (wooden ramps and banks) - starting from the old road for Perpetual Storage - a little lower down from the pump-house parking on the north side of the road. I noticed it a year or so ago while heading over to the Peeler. It seems like that really mucked stuff up a bit. I'm not exactly sure what was the cause but the location of the trespassing signs and this MB trail (which I assume has been taken down) seem to be related.

By Laine
From Reno, NV
May 12, 2014
Approach to Washington Column
Doesn't the LDS church own some of that land over there? Is it not related to that?

By Boissal
From Small Lake, UT
May 12, 2014
The Glen saw some very active trail building, as in bolts in boulders to support suspended platforms, etc... I imagine it's related. The MBers impact puts the constant arguments about climbers impact in perspective.

By DrApnea
From Wenatchee, WA
May 12, 2014
Did peeler earlier this year and hiked from a ways down canyon compared to the normal approach to avoid the no trespassing region. It sucked and added quite a bit of effort to the approach. I don't plan to solo aid up there any more if I have to do that approach again. Too much weight to bushwhack strait uphill alone for a couple of pitches in full on tick season!

By tenesmus
May 13, 2014
One of the several stories I've heard is that the guy who owns the power plant briefly allowed people to build trails on his easement. Eventually he changed his mind and put up the signs. Same as for the power plant.

I'm fairly certain you can hike on that trail to access the Peeler. Pretty much move forward and play dumb if someone asks you.

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
May 13, 2014
Stairway To Heaven - all the way to the Pearly Gates <br />(i.e. 10 pitches to the tram station)
Land from approximately the Gate Buttress parking area down canyon is owned by the LDS Church. The land up canyon is own by Perpetual Storage. The Black Peeler is on land owned by Perpetual Storage. As several have said the issue is with down hill mtn bikers. They have caused numerous issue throughout Little Cottonwood Canyon in their building of illegal trails.

By Kyler R
From SLC
May 13, 2014
Castleton Tower
These signs went up late summer last year. From what I heard back then Perpetual storage is O.K. with climbers using existing climber trails.

NOT THE PAVED ACCESS ROAD.

In addition, don't forget that Perpetual Storage is actually owned by the LDS Church so any major issue on their land can have ramifications on the land owned further down by the LDS Church.

By Raysin152
From SLC, UT
May 13, 2014
Thanks for the input everyone. Thanks for the info on PS Kyler, I am always nervous to see access issues involving private land. I wonder if a clean up could be organized to take down the offending trails or if it is best to just stay under the radar?

By Kyler R
From SLC
May 13, 2014
Castleton Tower
I haven't personally ever climbed up there. Before the trails were demolished you could see log ramps etc from the road. They are knocked over or removed at this point from what I can tell.

In would say as climbers our best plan of attack would be lay low and not litter etc. Erosion control is the biggest worry. In my opinion PS didn't care about trails until presumably water management officials became upset with erosion. That last part is completely speculative.

By tenesmus
May 14, 2014
Not owned by the LDS Church

By Kyler R
From SLC
May 14, 2014
Castleton Tower
Map showing the LDS Land Plot
Map showing the LDS Land Plot

This image shows land ownership around the mouth of Little Cottonwood. All the land surrounding Perpetual Storage is owned by the LDS church.

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
May 14, 2014
Kyler R wrote:

What is your source for the above image? It looks to demarcate private and public lands - nothing more. There are actually several plots in there - I know as I have done title searches on the land. One does not really know until you make a visit to the County Recorder's office and look at plat maps.

By Kyler R
From SLC
May 14, 2014
Castleton Tower

The image comes from caltopo.com

By Travelingrappeler
May 14, 2014
Kyler R wrote:
Well I don't typically supplement my outdoor rec time with trips to the county building. Feel free to supplement yours though. The image comes from Caltopo.com

At least a small part of your indoor time is spent speculating on places you have never climbed.

By DrApnea
From Wenatchee, WA
May 14, 2014
Owned by the Umbrella Corp

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
May 15, 2014
Kyler R wrote:

Getting off topic here but it so happens that a lot of my climbing time as well as many others has been supplemented with trips to the county building as well to the Forest Service and the LDS Church office building and a whole host of other offices to assure that when access issues arise that others can continue to climb carefree. So feel free to step up to the plate and make a contribution to the climbing community ...

That said you can explore the plats from the comfort of your home:

assessor.slco.org/Javaapi2/Par...

Look for plat 29084000020000
Owner: PERPETUAL STORAGE INC
Address: 6279 E LITTLE COTTONWOOD

That said this statement is good advise:

Kyler R wrote:
In (sic) would say as climbers our best plan of attack would be lay low and not litter etc.

The rest not so much or plan damn wrong.