Lake Champlain DWS Pic

By J Miles
From Queensbury, NY
Apr 6, 2012
Flatirons

Lake Champlain DWS Pic
Lake Champlain DWS Pic

Does anyone know where this picture was taken?

By agd
Apr 6, 2012
alaska

Who wears pants while DWSing?

By Umph!
Apr 6, 2012

Champlain, overcast, bit of a wind. . . I'd wear a damned wetsuit!

By boulderbum
From NY
Apr 6, 2012

Awesome picture!!

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO
Apr 6, 2012

On Lake Champlain, silly!!!!

(hee hee hee). . .

By Keyan P
From Burlington, VT
Apr 7, 2012
View from top of Standard Route on Whitehorse, NH

It looks like it might be here: +44 29' 20.92", -73 14' 58.38". I've tried climbing it before, the start is awfully wet though...

By Derek Doucet
Apr 7, 2012

J Miles wrote:
Does anyone know where this picture was taken?

Looks like a formation known as Rock Dunder...

By J Miles
From Queensbury, NY
Apr 7, 2012
Flatirons

Keyan P wrote:

Thanks for the super accurate (I think) response. I was only about 1000ft from this during my last trip to Burlington, and didn't even realize it. I might have to take a look at it the next time I'm nearby. How deep was the water? Does the water around Burlington stay pretty chilly year round?

Juniper Island (44.449468,-73.279166) looks like it also has some good potential on the west side, but since it's privately owned (according to wikipedia) I doubt there's any possibility of that happening.

By Keyan P
From Burlington, VT
Apr 7, 2012
View from top of Standard Route on Whitehorse, NH

J Miles, the only way to access that boulder is to hike on the trail running down the coast of the lake, which can be accessed from the northern most point of north beach towards "Lone Rock Point". The water is frigid until about June, and is most comfortable in August/September. The boulder is about 50ft from shore and the water is at least 12ft deep (couldn't reach the bottom). I climbed around the backside (V0 but dangerous fall potential onto a smaller rock) and jumped off safely.

In case you are looking for other places, the more well known DWS area in Burlington is along the shoreline of Red Rocks Park.