kids and Climbing in NC

By doc1911
May 24, 2013
I want to get my 10 year old son on the rope. He has been asking for a while. We live in central NC and I'm thinking about Linville Gorge/ Table Rock. for the few 5.4 and 5.5 climbs. That is about his level and I could free solo a pitch or 2 if I had to......not really ideal ...........I would like something I can easily set a top rope.

Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

By CJC
May 24, 2013
pilot mt?

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
May 24, 2013
Me on One Pitch Wonder at Whitesides.  Photo credi...
Pilot and Crowder's are probably the best in NC for TR. Not many other places have top access, especially at those grades. Table Rock has many climbs that are sport, mixed, and trad at those grades, but they need to be led. Good luck. Don't forget there is also a lot of bouldering in Asheboro, Linville, and the Bald.

By Pierre de St. Croix
From Beaufort, NC
May 25, 2013
Holloway Mountain

By boo
May 25, 2013
Take them wherever you would normally go. At 10, they should be able to carry their own gear, water and food. If they don't want a long approach, then choose one of the more craglike areas (Crowder's, Pilot).

If it's there first climb, take a 3rd for multi-pitch. They could wig and you'll need the extra set of hands to safely unwind them.

By Adam Paashaus
From Greensboro, North Carolina
May 25, 2013
After you get done climbing be sure to head up to ...
Pilot rock (not pilot mountain) in pisgah would work. Its a slab with top ropes 5.2-5.5 you would need to solo them to set up but the climbing is easy. It is about a mile approach. Get the new cedar rock guide for better details.

By 123654
May 27, 2013
check out stonedepot in pisgah near lookingglass couple of bolted multi pitch lines 5.6-5.8 great views and hike up.

By Scott O
From California
May 27, 2013
Batman Pinnacle
Pilot Mountain is good for this.

Also, the Chimneys about half a mile south of the Table Rock Picnic Area are great for easy top-roping that can be accessed by walking to the top. I don't know of any topos or anything like that, but I've been out there with groups and not had trouble finding stuff to rig TRs on.
It's way prettier than Pilot, too.

By Torrybolter
May 29, 2013
The chimneys for sure. That's where OB does lots of their introductory top roping. You can't go wrong hangin in linville for sooo many good reasons.