Joshua Tree guidebook iPhone app

By Dave Pegg
Apr 20, 2011

The app version of Wolverine Publishing's Joshua Tree Rock Climbs guidebook is now on iTunes.

itunes.apple.com/us/artist/wolverine-publishing-llc/id367783>>>

It comes in two flavors: A free Lite version, which showcases all the functionality and has content for about 120 routes and boulder problems on a handful of cliffs. And the full version, which is loaded with all 2600 climbs and problems from the guidebook.

The apps will run on iPhone, iPod Toch, and iPad. No Android yet ... sorry. We hope to have Android versions later in the year.

For those familiar with the Red River Gorge app, the Joshua Tree app has several major functionality upgrades -- the biggies are bouldering support, and "fly" between Explore and Navigate modes.

The sat-nav functionality in Navigate is brilliant for finding your way around complex climbing areas like the Wonderland of Rocks in J-Tree.

Even if you don't climb in J-Tree, you can have enjoy playing with the free version and seeing what it can do -- fly to "Outer Mongolia" and check it out.

By YesOnPie
Apr 25, 2011

Will there be an android version? I'm ditching my iphone soon, and I don't want to buy it until then. How much is the complete app? That Jtree book adds like 5lbs to my pack. I can't wait to leave it at home.

By Dave Pegg
Apr 25, 2011

The full Joshua Tree iPhone app is $32.95. There will be an Android version but not in the immediate future, maybe by the fall.

By JonM
May 27, 2011
On the descent of the West Ridge of Conness

Great app. It was nice to have the last couple times I've been out there.
I found the sat-nav difficult to navigate with.
Would be great to have a topo version in there.
And I found one mistake - Leap Year Flake and Look Before You Leap are switched in the topo pic.
I'm sure there will be more - but overall - nicely done!

By Dave Pegg
May 28, 2011

Thanks for the feedback Jon. Good to hear you like the app.
You can access the guidebook maps in the app: At any level click the map/text toggle top right on the screen to switch between reading and map mode.

By Dan G.
Feb 18, 2012

Any ETA on the android version? Thanks!

By Anouk Erni
Mar 7, 2012

I bought the new JTree guidebook about a year ago and was told the app was free if I bought the book. Is this true? If so, how can I download it for free from the site?

By thecornyman
From Oakland, CA
Mar 7, 2012
me on illusion dweller

Anouk Erni wrote:

I thought the same thing (and bought the book too)?

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Mar 7, 2012

I never heard that the app would be free but available at a discounted rate that I didn't see listed.

BTW, the book hasn't been out for a year. I only saw copies at REI, for example, just before the Xmas holiday.

By Anouk Erni
Mar 7, 2012

I bought it directly from the author who gave a presentation which I attended so I got it right before it became widely available. It could have been 9 months ago - during last Spring sometime. But, I haven't seen any option to get the iphone app even at a discounted rate. I'll probably have to call Wolverine Publishing and ask directly.

By RTM
Mar 8, 2012

I don't recall doing any presentations - but I did let the publisher know about your questions, I'm sure he will be responding here soon!

By Anouk Erni
Mar 8, 2012

Sorry RTM, I remember now that it was actually Randy Vogel who gave the presentation through a group that I belong to - the SCMA. But thanks for letting the publisher know - it would be good to finally find out what the deal is about the app:)

By Dave Pegg
Mar 8, 2012

The Joshua Tree app is not free or discounted if you have bought the guidebook.
The book is discounted if you have already purchased the app.
We'd love to provide a discount the other way, ie offer the app at a discounted price if you have bought the book ... But Apple doesn't allow us to issue $x or x% off coupons to customers -- we can only sell the app at the list price on the app store. So our hands are tied.