May 3, 2013
ORGANIZATION: The Henry S. Hall, Jr. American Alpine Club Library (AACL)
LOCATION: Golden, CO
POSITION: Library Director
POSITION STATUS: Exempt, full-time
REPORTS TO: Information & Marketing Director
POSITION OBJECTIVE: The Library Director is responsible for all library operations and services, providing leadership and vision for the library, directing library staff and volunteers, and serving as the library’s primary advocate and liaison to library donors, American Alpine Club (AAC) members, the general public, and AAC leadership.
· Provides direction and vision for the library, making sure that the library continues to meet, anticipate, and exceed the physical and digital needs of its users.
· Ensures that all library projects and operations support the mission of the AAC, its strategic plan, and the goals of the Information & Marketing Department (especially digital opportunities).
· Passionately promotes collections through outreach initiatives, both in person and online.
· Takes the lead role for library fundraising and donor cultivation, in coordination with the AAC Development Director, including the development of a new Library Steering Committee, grant writing, and donor recognition.
· Directs library staff, including recruitment, hiring, performance review, and daily supervision. Provides all necessary support for Digitization Archivist and Library Manager, including occasional volunteer management.
· Assumes responsibility for day-to-day operations, including policy development, library facilities, budget development and administration, collections care, user services, acquisitions, collections processing, outreach and communications, and library technology.
· Identifies and solicits significant new collections; oversees collections stewardship, including physical, legal, and intellectual control of all collections.
Supports AAC staff and Bradford Washburn American Mountaineering Museum as needed.
About the library: Established in 1916, the AACL is among the oldest alpine libraries in the United States. The library focuses on American and foreign guidebooks and mountain regions around the world. The library’s mission as climbing's cultural heritage archive is to preserve and share mountaineering history. Its collections include more than 60,000 books and audiovisual media as well as archival and other non-circulating collections devoted to mountaineering, rock climbing, and mountain exploration in all their forms.
See the full job posting at americanalpineclub.org/p/libra...
The American Alpine Club
The Henry S. Hall, Jr. American Alpine Club Library
From Montclair, NJ
Joined Apr 25, 2012