Jasper-Banff cragging beta in May...

By Zirkel
From Bishop, CA
May 4, 2014
Owens Gorge.  Mt Tom in background.

Greetings:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

By moyboy
May 5, 2014

Zirkel wrote:
Greetings: Will be traveling Jasper > Banff > Canmore > Calgary next week with a friend, and we'd like to get a day or two of cragging in along the way. I understand its still early season and many potential areas will still be wet with snow-covered approaches. We have a light trad rack, draws and a 60 m rope between us. She wants to climb easy multi-pitch trad, and I would prefer to travel light and just clip bolts. We were looking at potentially climbing at Yamnuska, but not a lot of route info on MP. She also mentioned possible dry sport climbs near Jasper? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

You should know that weather in Alberta is incredibly variable. Two weeks ago, a buddy of mine was on Yam with no issues. Just yesterday, we got a foot of snow and I was out skiing. So it's best to go with the flow.

When exactly are you planing on coming out here? Is you trip set in stone? Are day trips between Calgary and Banff/Canmore a possibility?

By Zirkel
From Bishop, CA
May 5, 2014
Owens Gorge.  Mt Tom in background.

We will be there next week. Not set on climbing in one area or another. If climbing around Banff/Calgary is more reasonable weather-wise, then we'd be open for that instead. Suggestions?

By FosterK
From Edmonton, AB
May 5, 2014

Not much of a rock climber personally, but your best source of information around Jasper is here:

www.rescuedynamics.ca/jasper.rocks/general.htm#Intro

Also, Gravity Gear in Jasper should have more up to date information if you've got the time to poke around.

Let me know if you're interested in any particular Jasper area and I can provide some more info.

By Jonathan Dull
From NC High County
May 5, 2014
Edge of a Dream

I created a similar post about an upcoming trip. You may find some useful information in there.

mountainproject.com/v/best-guidebook-for-the-bugaboos/108842>>>

By wghennig
May 5, 2014

If the weather is iffy one can usually climb on the front range on or near the Yam. Kid Goat has some 4 pitch routes that would fit the bill for a couple of days of cragging. Grey Waves is 4 pitch bolted and Keelhaul is a 4 pitch trad, both on this site. Aftonroe near Banff is a nice 5.7 bolted climb. Ha Ling peak above Canmore has a 12 pitch 5.6 trad if the weather is better.

By Zirkel
From Bishop, CA
May 6, 2014
Owens Gorge.  Mt Tom in background.

Great replies. Thanks all!