Jacks Canyon on Fire?!

By Angela Mabe
From Flagstaff,AZ
On top of Dr. Rubos

So its hard to say but the 5200 fire west of 87 looks to be smack in the jacks canyon area. anyone live out there that has any news?

Todd Foor took this picture from the entrance to jacks yesterday 7/1

Jacks Entrance
Jacks Entrance

Just from the paper is this- Article Here

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
tanuki

Some of my friends were there on Saturday. A ranger came into the canyon and told everyone to leave. He said that the canyon was in the path of the fire. 87 south was closed, and my friends had to drive back to Phoenix via Winslow and Flagstaff...

That is all I know.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Colonel Mustard

Ah, suck!

Some of that jungle down canyon may be thinned out for the approach though...

By Peter Franzen
From Phoenix, AZ
Belay

Damn, that's a shame.

By Angela Mabe
From Flagstaff,AZ
On top of Dr. Rubos

Just got word from the Coconino Forest Service that between mile marker 310-314 is where the fire is and is closed. They advised to check back next week to see when they will re-open it. So looks like climbing at Jacks is out this week

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
tanuki

Thanks for the update, Angela. That is not good news.

By Red
From Arizona
Cobra Kai

Peter Franzen wrote:
Damn, that's a shame. I was hoping to head up there on Wednesday to climb at the Asylum. Is there a good place where I can get a status update before driving up?

Night climbing? It's July and that area is South facing.
I think it is safe to say, you wont want to drive up there this week.

By Angela Mabe
From Flagstaff,AZ
On top of Dr. Rubos

word on the street is that it did burn in the canyon :( wonder what the damage will be.. were there a lot of glue-ins placed there?

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

You should be able to get accurate info at inciweb.org

By Red
From Arizona
Cobra Kai

s.price wrote:
You should be able to get accurate info at inciweb.org

As of right now, I don't see it listed under Arizona

By Red
From Arizona
Cobra Kai

Angela, I don't think there is many glue-ins, if any, at Jacks.
Thanks for the updates! It will be real interesting to see the aftermath.
Hopefully the camp crapper is safe! No trees right next to it, hopefully it survives!

By Angela Mabe
From Flagstaff,AZ
On top of Dr. Rubos

well that's a good thing!
our reporter just got back and i think he is writing something up for the paper right now. I'll post the link when he's done.

By Jeremy Hand
Jul 3, 2012
slopey

Angela Mabe wrote:

Its all part of nature's rejection of man made anchors and proves that no rock should be infiltrated with permanent protection...

is what those trad climbers would say

By JJ Schlick
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jul 3, 2012
JJ Schlick on first ropeless ascent of Cranium Crack .12 Watson Lake, Prescott, AZ.  1999

The Canyon Fire, did indeed make it's way through the crags of Jacks Canyon, though the rim top camping and toilet survived unscathed. Damage to the routes is unknown at this point. www.facebook.com/jackscanyon?ref=ts

By Angela Mabe
From Flagstaff,AZ
Jul 3, 2012
On top of Dr. Rubos

Latest Article from this morning:

HERE

By Peter Franzen
From Phoenix, AZ
Jul 4, 2012
Belay

Thanks for the update Angela.

Fire in Jack's and it looks like rain down at Mt. Lemmon... Not sure where to head for some low(er) temp sport climbing tomorrow.

By JD Kendall
From Winslow, AZ
Jul 8, 2012

Ground Zero - Fire at Jacks Canyon

Here is a link to pictures that I took of the canyon... damage is pretty bad but the good news is that there is still some green and from what I could see the only wall that was really damaged by fire was one south of Casino which had no routes.

By TeresaG
From tucson az
Jul 18, 2012
Bouldering at Hairpin

My Dad was just there on Tues of this week, he said the road was open and that most of the fire damage was up stream once you got off the approach trail. He said down stream there wasn't much damage. He knows very little about climbing and was just scouting the area out for us. Meaning, he wouldnt be able to provide much info about the routes and if and what was damaged, or if its safe. Has anyone been there this week and be able to offer more current info? Ive never been there was planning on heading there next week...

By Mark Mueller
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jul 23, 2012
Great quality rock on this one!

I, too, am considering heading there. Maybe this week, would love to know if I can camp and climb now...

By Patrick Betts
Jul 23, 2012
Summit of Joy (III 5.8R) in Kananaskis, Alberta, Canada

A great place for info and the right people to ask any questions is the Jacks Canyon facebook page. Check there - recent photos show some flooding at the main wall.

www.facebook.com/#!/jackscanyon

By JD Kendall
From Winslow, AZ
Jul 24, 2012

I was just there Sunday... Casino is climbable... and pretty much the west side of the canyon was okay... but Main wall and the east side where the creek bed runs is flooded but crossable... although we just got a huge rain storm yesterday so conditions could be different... the road in is wet so plan on your vehicle getting muddy and it probably should be 4x4 or you are chancing it... as far as camping that is absolutely fine the camp area was pretty much untouched... the last thing I will add is that most of the stench has been washed away but the ash started to borher us towards the end of our day a bit...

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 1, 2012
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"

I was thinking of possibly heading out to Jacks next sunday. Anyone been out there lately? Conditions?

By JD Kendall
From Winslow, AZ
Oct 1, 2012

Pretty much everything except Main Wall is climbable... however anything on the Main Wall side of the canyon (East Side) requires you to cross the creek bed which is "sludged up" the mosquitos have been bad but hopefully have died down since it has gotten much cooler over the last week.

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 2, 2012
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"

Thanks for the report JD, I think we may just opt to climb the dells this weekend and try to make it up next month for the cleanup. Its a bummer because I was looking foreward to getting on some bolted 10's but is also a good reason to come back up from tucson. Thanks again,
-Mackley