is CLIMB X protection any good?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By joshua rodas
Feb 29, 2012
high ball v3
As far as I know Climb X has alot of similarities (somewhat identical) to Mad Rock. I know mad rock has good products so I assume Climb X has similar quality products. I know these two companies are in the market to provide the best products for the most affordable price. So to my question(s). Is Climb X's X-Tech pro any good. Honestly I haven't heard or read anything on it, except from the climb x site, which makes me think its not worth getting. Is their pro based off of any other companies products? I know protection is nothing to bargain hunt on but I'm going to start building my own rack and if their cams are solid their bundle appears to be a good place to start.

Thanks for the help.
Cams in question
Cams in question

By joshua rodas
Feb 29, 2012
high ball v3
Here is the site climbxgear.com/cam.aspx

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Feb 29, 2012
OTL
mountainproject.com/v/climbx-x...

Won't find too many reviews of them.

By Eli.M
From Middlebury, VT
Feb 29, 2012
if you're starting to build a rack and willing to drop 500$ on sets of cams I don't think I'd do 500$ for 10 climbx cams.

what about 265$ for these five?
backcountry.com/black-diamond-...

and

195 for these 4
backcountry.com/metolius-ultra...
or 242 for these 5
backcountry.com/black-diamond-...
or just a handful of these
backcountry.com/metolius-maste...

comparable price of 500$ for similar amount/range of cams, and in my opinion the cams are of much higher quality

By joshua rodas

1.5-4 would be my recommended sizes in those

By Bowens
From Carlsbad, CA
Mar 3, 2012
New Yosemite
Matt N wrote:
Today only 29% off @ Neptune. C4s sold out, but this is probably the lowest the new WC Heliums have been so far: neptunemountaineering.com/nept... 1.5-4 would be my recommended sizes in those

I second the Helium cams as well. In sizes 1-4, I agree, they are pretty sweet. I own some Heliums and have used them side by side with BD C4's, DMM Dragons, Metolius Powercams, Trango Cams, etc, and and I definitely like the Heliums. Also, you can get the set 1, 2,3, for $182 any day,and if it's on sale at all then they are down into the $50 range.

By Matty H
May 22, 2012
Top of pear buttress
Mad rock makes Decent stuff... but if you notice 90% of real mountain shops do not carry them. REI does not count as a mountain shop. Climb x is in my opinion: a knockoff of a brand that the world could do without. Sure mad rock and climb x are great for noobs, but should not be taken seriously for quality gear. Also Just because cams are produced commercially does not mean they should be.
My experience with climb x is: I threw out all the gear I bought from them except the shoes which i loan out now. Buy good gear once and be done with it. I bought shitty gear first and am now buying gear all over again less than 2 years from buying it. ive done less than 20 trad climbs and I hate my cams because i bought a cheap set.

Buy quality gear once and be done with it.

By Mike Smyth
From Spartanburg, SC
May 22, 2012
Stick clips can be very handy in this area to keep it a little safer
I have purchased shoes and quickdraws from them which have seem to do okay. I find them to be on the lower end of quality, but held up for me. As far as protection, like they say, buy nice or buy twice

By Chris Snobeck
From Broomfield, CO
May 23, 2012
King Cobra
alssports.com

25% off BD C3/C4 cams right now...

By JustinJD.
From Denver
May 25, 2012
Matt N wrote:
mountainproject.com/v/climbx-x... Won't find too many reviews of them. Personally, if you're not in a hurry, I'd wait for backcountry.com/black-diamond-... to go 20% off - happens at least twice a year. You'll get the main c4 sizes for under $50 each. Heck right now they're what - ~$53ea? If you're penny pinching, join a rebate site like fatwallet.com and you'll get 6% cashback for backcountry.com purchases around 90 days later. Works on tons of other sites too. Always amazes me to see either new or barely used c4s selling at $50 in the for sale forum here. You'll likely want to go with c3s, tcus, mastercams, or aliens for the small stuff anyways. So it'd be better to not buy the whole 10cam package to start. Get the .5-3 c4s, a set of nuts and lead some easy stuff and go from there.

activejunky.com is a great site to add on a little savings. They'll send you a check for a % of your spend. I've used them for about 6 months now and it has been great.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
May 26, 2012
...
"ive done less than 20 trad climbs"

And you're giving advice on gear?

I'm fucking dying over here!

LOL!

By Leeroy
May 26, 2012
Locker wrote:
"ive done less than 20 trad climbs" And you're giving advice on gear? I'm fucking dying over here! LOL!

In two years no less.

This website is full of noobs and gumbies who don't have the first, second or last clue about climbing yet LOVE to give out advice to other noobers who don't know enough to know that most people on this board are full of shit and talking out they're ass.

Buy whatever pro you want. If the ClimbX cams appeal to you then get 'em. They're fine. BD cams are NOT all that they are cracked up to be. Plus they're made in sweatshops in China by people who will never have the chance to use the product they make because they're too busy trying to find their next meal since BD doesn't pay them anything close to a living wage. Fuck BD. The quality of their gear, across the board, has dropped in recent years and I've vowed to never give another penny directly to BD.

If you must buy BD cams I'd suggest piecing together a rack with used gear. You can pick them up used online for less than what those Climb X cams sell for as long as you don't buy them off MP.

I'd suggest DMM, Wild Country, Metolius or Wired Bliss if you need to buy new cams.

Good luck.

By agd
May 26, 2012
alaska
joshua rodas wrote:

Think about how illogical this statement is.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
May 26, 2012
Middle
Leeroy wrote:
In two years no less.

You've had three screen names.

By SauceBoss
May 26, 2012
Cams? What the f*** are those?? You guys are saying you don't use pitons for all your pro?????? I've been climbing for months, and I protect exclusively with pitons. Especially on boulders someone else is projecting. Its an awesome workout and a great way to make friends!

By Leeroy
May 26, 2012
Ray Pinpillage wrote:
You've had three screen names.

I've got at least 5 or 6 active ones right now. WTF are you talking about?

By Carl Sherven
May 26, 2012
Mark Vincent wrote:

That's the funniest post I've read in quite some time.

By martinharris
From Glenwood Springs CO
May 26, 2012
I second buying the good stuff. I am a big bd fan though. I wish it were still made in America but they still produce a great product. As far as quality getting worse I think it is more of the gear getting lighter than cheaper. And after taking a 30 foot screamer onto a bd cam I don't know if I can ever say anything bad about them.

By DannyUncanny
From Vancouver
May 26, 2012
If you watched Spadout, you would know that Als sports has C4s for 25% off right now.

By Cultivating Mass
May 28, 2012
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Troll (acc to Webster's)

-"Someone who has so greatly mistaken the gift of life's value that they complicate the lives of simpletons asking (somewhat) legitimate questions while their sexual organs gradually atrophy from lack of use."

Get a fucking life, dipshits.

+whatever for buying good gear. That's common sense, but it commonly works.

Seriously, with Guideline #1 firmly in mind, here: Trolls, you suck. Go back to the Taco. You aren't wanted (anywhere).

By Taylor J
From new mexico, new england
Mar 21, 2013
My home project.... <br /> <br /><em>Eds. It may be called "The Compactor".</em>
is this a joke?

By Cultivating Mass
Mar 22, 2013
Leading on the only "fair means" rack.
Yes, it is totally a joke that you revived this thread from last year from its happily-dead status. Ha.

By S Denny
From Carbondale, CO
Mar 22, 2013
pretty funny that they don't have any cams on their site anymore... 1 year later

By Aric Datesman
Mar 24, 2013
Also funny that no one noticed they look identical to the now-discontinued CAMP Air Cam... ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?i...

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>