In Memory Of Preston

By Cheryl Claman-Brennan
Jul 6, 2009

I am going up to Eldorado Canyon for the first time tomorrow since my husband of 18 years and father of my three children fell last July. I have not had the strength to go up there until now, but i am hoping that seeing the beauty will give me some peace to go on. Preston passed away on July 19th, 2 months before his 48th bday. He loved to climb, so I know he left this earth doing something he loved. I am hoping to gain some sense of peace from the beauty of the canyon, and will say a prayer and send out love to all of those who are here climbing Eldorado. Next week the kids and I are going up together, and I know it will be hard, they have been grieving for their dad, and we all are not sure what to do when we get there, we just know we must do something to honor him. Thanks again to all who reached out last year to us as well as Alison who was climbing with Preston when he fell. Live well, and I know if Preston were here he would know what to tell you, "don't sweat the bs, life is indeed tooo short."

By Robert 560
From The Land of the Lost
Jul 6, 2009
Secret Crag

Stay strong and remember Preston was doing what he loved to do.

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO
Jul 6, 2009

Cheryl
On your sad journey, I wish you the best.

By Shawn Mitchell
From Broomfield
Jul 6, 2009
Splitter Jams on the Israel/Palestine Security Wall.

I hope you have a peaceful, beautiful day. Maybe I'll see you there in the morning.

By Cheryl Claman-Brennan
Jul 7, 2009

I went up to Elorado Canyon today. I am not sure if I was at the exact spot that Preston and ALison were when they were climbing last year. I want to take the kids up next week. Is there anyone who can direct me to the exact route where Preston fell??? That would be extremely helpful.

By Buff Johnson
Jul 7, 2009
smiley face

The north and west faces of the Bastille. <br /> <br />5. Werk Supp <br />10. Northcutt Variation <br />13. Bastille Crack <br />14. Outer Space <br />33. West Buttress
The north and west faces of the Bastille.

5. Werk Supp
10. Northcutt Variation
13. Bastille Crack
14. Outer Space
33. West Buttress

Cheryl:

It would be at/near route 5 on this pic -- it is the first rock you see on your left as you enter the canyon (called the Bastille; route is Werk Supp). Use caution for overhead climbers & cars as it is a fairly tight space.

By Cheryl Claman-Brennan
Jul 7, 2009

Thank you. we were there, but thought it was the route on the right of that. Much appreciatiom

By Cheryl Claman-Brennan
Jul 7, 2009

By Allen Hill
From FIve Points, Colorado and Pine
Jul 7, 2009
Slick Rock put in

Cheryl,
I was out of the country when Preston had his accident but it was on this website that I found out about it and I then notified Mark Yanowitz. It was hard to read about Preston's condition and eventual passing from half way around the world. I thought of you all daily and still often think of Preston. He was a great man and a great boss who allowed me to take off months at a time to get my career going but always would have me back on the crew when I was home and needed income. I can honestly say that he and Mark helped me get to where I am today and that I can never thank him for his patience and nurturing really irks me. Anyhow I think that speaks volumes about his character. He is missed. I'll certainly be thinking of you all next week.

Allen