I need ideas for a crampon/screw case and pick cover

By Evan1984
Dec 17, 2009

So, I'm new to ice and want to avoid destroying everything else in my pack. So I need a safe way to carry crampons/screws and picks. I also don't want to spend the $ right now on one of the manufactured cases.

What DIY ideas have you guys come up with?

Thanks,
evan

By David P. Pierce
From Minneapolis, MN
Dec 17, 2009

As a card carrying cheap bastard myself I would recommend keeping the caps and thread protectors on the screws and carrying them in a stuff sack. It will take you longer to rack up before climbing but if you don't have a sewing machine to make a travel holster it works.

Carry your crampons on the outside of your pack to prevent them chewing up your belay jacket and slings. Yeah, you have to be careful not to set your pack down in a way that your tools and crampons will catch on the upholstery in your car/couch/bed/etc. but free is always good.

By stredna
From PA
Top o' the Preist

he's right, keep caps on screws and thats all.
I've been ice climbing a couple 4 ,5 years now and extra cases are bullshit. Just throw the shit in and be mindful of what your packing near it, i've never ripped anything except my pantleg walking downhill; get gaiters. You'll develop a system.

By bigwallrog
From the farside
Dec 17, 2009

I agree w David on this one and might add that you can get crampon protectors pretty darn cheap Return Every Item has some plastic jobs for a couple bucks

Also there is always BSR in Boulder picked up a like new bd toolbox for a few bucks
there good for crampons and spare picks and a file or to pack some screws in.

Some icetools come w/ a pick protector a cheap skimpy one that if your not careful you'll lose but there good n cheap lots of places take them off so ask around you'll proably get em for free

Or there is always good old duct tape looks better on your gear than repairing holes in your clothes

when funds are available I would highly recomend the bd pick protectors they are one of the few items bd has that's worth the price.

By Paul Shultz
From Hudson, Ma
Me! <br /> <br />

Black Diamond makes some huge thing for carrying them, probably a little larger then a brief case, buts like 80 dollars.

I experimented once with that stuff that you dip tool handles in to make a reusuable cap. Unfortunately it bonds very tightly. Some time of oil might solve this problem. I would only use this on axes though.

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
How I Send

so what you are saying is that you have all this money to buy ice gear, but you can't spend a couple extra bucks to protect it and your other gear? That's like buying a new car and not getting insurance...Coming from a fellow cheapskate - get your priorities straight and invest in protecting your investment(s). You don't have 20 bucks?

www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Ice-Screwup/dp/B002IAMNM8

www.appoutdoors.com/black_diamond_equipment_black_diamond_ic>>>

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Dec 17, 2009
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

You face the crampons into each other and wrap them in a small towel or piece of nylon tarp. Throw that anywhere in the bag. For the tools, you can get little rubber tips from the climbing store or make them out of duct tape and cardboard.

By Evan1984

Tits,

Well, its more of a I can't make ice screws or crampons or tools, but I can probably make a little case for them.

Obviously, I understand the damage/cost of knives flying around in my pack, which is why I posted. I will probably end up buying cases, but I'd like to put that off for a couple of paychecks.

Thanks for the input.

By David Sweet
From Moscow, ID
Dec 17, 2009

For pick protectors go to the hardware store and get a few inches of clear plastic tubing - 1/2 in. i.d. should work - cut it into 2 in. pieces. Shove them on the picks for carrying tools on your pack. They stay on but are easy to get off when you need to and aren't as ugly as duct tape.

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
How I Send

No worries Evan - I just have been down that road and seen my tools get damaged from the lack of durability any of my solutions provided - ie duct tape card board etc...I would say if you are looking for cheap ways - buy some high dernier cordura you can order it pretty cheap and it lasts a lot longer than a towel...That's why I recommended the BD stuff - Good Luck!

By Alan Ream
From Lafayette CO
Dec 17, 2009
Breakfast of Champion slacker climbers.

Your local Army surplus store has all kinds of cheap crap that will work. I found this cool little doc kit bag (zipper on top stiff bottom with handles)that works great. Alan-

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior

For your tools I just cut open 9/16" or 1" tubular webbing and slide my picks into that. cut them long enough to slide up onto the pick pretty far and that works well. Plus you can use your older webbing so you aren't out anything.

Crampons go on the outside of my pack. I have tried it both ways and like having them outside the best.

For screws get a box style crampon case and store them in there. I still keep the caps and sleeves on my screws as well. It helps them stay sharp. When you are hanging one armed off a steep pillar the last thing you want is to have dull screws...

Like Tits said it is really worth protecting your investment.

By Mark Cushman
From Cumming, GA
Profiley Styley

David Sweet wrote:

Garden hose also works.

By stredna
From PA
Top o' the Preist

seriously, what does everyone do to abuse their tools while they are being carried in/on a backpack to neccesitate this superfluous crap? the only thing that needs protection is the ice screws, the end.

By Evan1984
Dec 17, 2009

Stredna, my main concern is for my puffy jacket and other things inside the pack with crampons and screws. I think it'd be hard to hurt your picks, but I can see one poking a hole in my backpack.

Anyway, I took all your ideas and went on a trip to ACE hardwear. Here's what I can up with:

1 foot of 3/4inch rubber heater hose-$0.99-protects both picks well.

115 piece drill bit set.-$12.99-this came with a cordura nylon roll case. My beautiful, taleneted, and accomodating girlfriend is sewing two strips of daisy pockets out of webbing so I can slide screws into it and roll it up like the BD ice screw up. Mine better, though becuase it will hold 10 screws, cost $7.00 less, and I got 115 drill bits free.

I think I might just buy the crampin case because I didn't find a good option. Anyway, all told, it was $14.oo plus some on webbing and a bottle of wine of the girlfriend.

Thanks for the ideas,
Evan

By Pine Sap
Jaws RMNP - 3/3/12

Your solution sounds good and here is what I do: Hot cut a piece of 1" tubular webbing to the length of your tools pick. Then, using a lighter or hot knife, fuse one end together so it is closed off (sealed). Install on your pick and tightly wrap the webbing with duct tape from one end to the other which will cause the webbing to conform to the shape and curve of the pick. This makes a nice durable sheath that if wrapped tightly enough, stays on the pick pretty well during transport and preserves the packs fabric. Works for ice screws as well but I prefer a wrap.

By Josh Brown
Dec 21, 2009

for picks i took dishwasher tubing and attached shock cord and made my own caps. a trip to the hardware store and $2 for enough materials for three sets.
for crampons I just use a lowe alpine corduar accessory pouch ( the kind you strap on to your pack to add an extra pocket)

By Jon H
From Boulder
Dec 24, 2009
At the matching crux

I was gonna dirt-bag myself up a crampon case from scratch this past week, but I found the BD crampon case on sale from e-omc.com for $11.95 while I was buying some new screws. It was over $50 so shipping was free. For under $12, it certainly made sense.

By Nathan Stokes
Dec 24, 2009

My current crampon case is a a leg of worn out pair of blue jeans sewn shut at one end and a draw string sewn into the other end. Aside from storing them in there wet, the thing is bomber and i've yet to have a problem.
Protect your puffy jacket from gear and weather by stuffing inside a waterproof compression sack. Granite gear used to make some killer ones (hyrdroseal compression). I pack all my gear into stuff sacks of various sizes and then into the pack. It makes finding things easier, the sacks are color coded and provides a second weather guard. The added weather protection is key here in the east. Also I don't have to worry as much about loosing some bit or bob when I am pawing through the pack for something else or getting things covered in snow in the winter. Sure it adds a pound or so of weight but having all my clothes in one sack, spare outer wear in another, food in a third, you get the point.

By Evan1984
Dec 24, 2009

Thanks guys!

I found a used crampon case for $5. But the other idea I had was a toiletry kit. I saw one right after I purchased the case at a thift store for a buck.

Evan

By Woodchuck ATC
Dec 24, 2009
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

I have 2 different 'crampon' bags and I don't know what they were thinking but they certainly don't fit adult feet. I'm talking some BD and Ptezl designed cramp carry cases. Both are made for weenie sized feet under size 9, or a folded up hinged non-rigid crampon which of course is NOT what any real ice climber is wearing. My size 12 early genaration 'Footfangs and new Rambo's both stick out of the bags by another 3 inches plus the front points. They definately were the wrong model or design for serious crampons. So wrap them up in heavy canvas or sealskin like tarp to shove in your pack or lash on the outside. The shorter (< 21 cm) screws might make use of the cramp storage bags instead.

By Garrett R.
From Colorado
Jan 10, 2010

The harness bag that came with my Petzl harness works perfectly as my crampon case.

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Jan 10, 2010

Late to answer this question for the budget conscious: old garden hose is super cheap for pick protectors. Ask you neighbors or check your garage. One hose will serve a lifetime for you and your friends. You can make ice screw protectors out of duct tape easily enough. Also, similar caps are used in other sports to protect metal rods. Old cordura lunch bags or beefy toiletry kits from a thrift shop work decent for crampons. By the way, cut up old 2 or 3 l soda bottles attached with wire work reasonably well for anti-bot/anti-snowballing plates. Finally, watch the screws on your exterior layer when climbing. They'll cut fragile puffy jackets.