Ice in the Mt. Lemmon guide book?

By Ryan N
From Lone Tree, Colorado
Dec 21, 2013
RJN

Anyone have info on the ice that is pictured in the Mt. Lemmon guide book? I'm interested in heading up there and checking out general conditions. I know it's a long shot, but there has been some decent moisture the past week and temps seem to be cooperating. A Colorado native just wants to swing his tools..

By Ryan N
From Lone Tree, Colorado
Dec 21, 2013
RJN

Found location, just had to read book. If anyone has any other info on this I'd appreciate it, or if your looking to take the tools for a walk I could use a locals input.

By Jimbo
Dec 23, 2013

The one in the book is called the Stain. IT's usually top roped because it's too thin to protect. You can walk around to the right at get above it very easily. Bring a second rope or very long runners to get from the tree to the edge for a clean drop for the top rope.

By Jimbo
Dec 23, 2013

Also, walk into the Bone Yard, ice forms there regularly. I've always led the stuff there so I don't know how involved a TR would be.

Seems like the dam on the way into the Raycreation should have ice on it, but I've never gone in during a cold snap.

By Ryan N
From Lone Tree, Colorado
Dec 23, 2013
RJN

Thank for the reply. Hiked up to the stain yesterday it's flowing pretty good but not even close to frozen.

Where at in the bone yard?

The Stain
The Stain

By Jimbo
Dec 24, 2013

Just hike in if there's ice you'll see it. Two gullies and a ramp can form if it's cold and a good run of freeze thaw.

By Ryan N
From Lone Tree, Colorado
Dec 24, 2013
RJN

Hiked up there today. Didn't expect ice, but could see where it forms. Thanks for the direction.

Boneyard