How old is the new rope I'm looking to buy?

By PaulOnTheWall
From Whitehall, PA
Mar 21, 2012

Sorry if this has been covered, first post and I didn't find anything using the SEARCH. I'm looking into getting a second rope. Will be used as a workhorse rope, mostly for top roping. I'm fairly new to climbing and have read that ropes do degrade with time even without being used. So I'm looking to get a rope on-line (no stores in my area) in hopes to save some money but how do I know that the rope hasn't been sitting around for 5 years? None of the online places put dates of manufacture on their sites and I'm not experienced enough to know the difference between this year's model and that of 3 or even 5 years ago. I guess my questions are: Is a couple of years really enough to make a difference and if so, how can I tell when the rope was manufactured? Any help would be appreciated.
-Paul

By matt davies
Mar 22, 2012

Climbing ropes are way over-engineered for the real world forces they are subjected to. Be mindful of how you treat it, inspect it when you flake it, and you will be A-ok.

By JesseT
From Portland, OR
25' drop...wheeeeee!

I remember one manufacturer (Beal? Sterling?) saying that an unopened rope stored in good conditions is good as new for 5 (or 8?) years.

Can't find the link now. Anyone?

edit: found it. bealplanet.com/sport/anglais/technicite-corde-page.php#duree>>>

5 years unopened in good storage conditions = good as new. Can't imagine why it would be any different for other manufacturers.

By Chris Parsons
Mar 22, 2012

Some manfacturers will have a label on the nylon with the date it was made. BD does on their slings and cams, as well as a few other manfacturers. If you are buying from an online store, you should have nothing to worry about. If you are mostly toproping on your rope and climb on a somewhat regular basis, it will wear out well before the shelf life expires.

By Jeff Thomas
Mar 22, 2012

If you buy from any major retailer they will be turning over their stock fast enough that it should be just as new as any brick and mortar store. Even if it's on clearance it shouldn't be more than a year old.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

I've top-roped on a 15 year old rope (with bad juju to boot) before and I'm over 200 pounds. I think the worst you'll find is one that's maybe 1 1/2 years old, nbd.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Would guess most online stores turn around their inventory easily in a year, or it would bave been sold for a cheap sale price. Doubt any reliable dearler holds onto ropes for 4-5 years without selling them. Ropes are by far much stronger than you ever will need as long as they are kept clean and handled well.

By NickinCO
From colorado
Mar 22, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

I've seen a rope that sat on a shelf at REI for 5+ years...

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Me, of course

The toprope lines at the BRC are marked 1981 I think.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Evan S wrote:
The toprope lines at the BRC are marked 1981 I think.

Guess they need to buy some new ropes, even if 5 yr. old 'new' ropes.

By NickinCO
From colorado
Mar 22, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

Evan S wrote:
The toprope lines at the BRC are marked 1981 I think.

I highly highly highly doubt that means they are from 1981.

By Gunkiemike
Mar 22, 2012

A couple of the ropes I TR on are 15+ years old. But it's top roping, so I am 100% confident that they are OK. Note - these are not beater ropes. They are "looks like new" ropes that sat unused for WAY too long. YMMV (and the retailers thank you for retiring a good rope based on age)

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
Me, of course

Nick Mardi wrote:
I highly highly highly doubt that means they are from 1981.

I would hope so too. But the fact remains...

By JLP
From The Internet

Evan S wrote:
But the fact remains...

...that you are clueless.

By NickinCO
From colorado
Mar 23, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

JLP wrote:
...that you are clueless. Gyms go through ropes like toilet paper. They last a few weeks, then they are replaced. Nylon does not degrade except when left under UV. Well stored ropes from the 70's have been tested to their full rated strength. This is an ancient and recurring internet topic. Do a search. The 5 yr number is marketing, liability and a number pulled out of someone's butt to satisfy CE requirements.

thank you. LOL...

By snacyhook
Mar 23, 2012

i forget it

By Brian
From North Kingstown, RI
Mar 23, 2012

Evan S wrote:
The toprope lines at the BRC are marked 1981 I think.

Didn't the BRC open in 1991? So they bought ten year old ropes and never replaced them? Ya think?

By matt davies
Mar 23, 2012

Brian wrote:

No, they bought 30 year old ropes. The ropes at BRC used to be marked 1961, but with stretch the 6 turned into an 8. And they're still just fine.