How many days a week should I climb?

By lalalala
Sep 5, 2010
hu

By Greg D
From Here
Sep 6, 2010
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />
Are you serious?

By lalalala
Sep 6, 2010
h

By Zach Wahrer
From The Road
Sep 6, 2010
Unknown problem at Hueco.
I would recommend getting Eric Hörst's "Training For Climbing ", as its an amazing book and will answer pretty much any performance related question you have about climbing. I know it has helped me a lot.

In my own experience, I'll usually just climb until I feel worn out and then rest until recovered. If I'm doing roped climbing, that usually ends up being about 2 days on then 1 day off. Bouldering ends up being 1 day on, 1 day off. YMMV.

If you climb every day, at least if you climb seriously every day, you're going to risk wearing down your body and then comes the dreaded overuse injury. As another side effect of never truly resting, you won't make any performance gains. Your body needs time to heal and recover, otherwise it just keeps wearing down.

So, rather than climbing crappy 7 days a week, climb hard 4 and spend the other 3 doing something else you enjoy. Hike, bike, run, swim, whatever gets you going. Eric Hörst cites several studies that show "active" rest will help you recover quicker than just sitting around. Plus you'll be getting some cross training in, which never hurts! Its also a good idea to work your antagonist muscles (the ones that don't get used for climbing), also another good injury prevention measure.

Hope that helps. If not, just get the book. Its a really good read!

By toddgordon
From Joshua Tree, California
Sep 6, 2010
Seven;...if you can go to work most every day...you can go climbing most everyday........Beer, TV, and climbing......the rest can wait....

By Zach Wahrer
From The Road
Sep 6, 2010
Unknown problem at Hueco.
Lol, so I write out a response then the OP deletes his post as I'm posting mine... WTF?

By Andrew Shipley
Sep 11, 2010
Zion
when i first started climbing i became a bum not because i wanted to get better but because i couldn't get enough. climbing is NOT an ego sport and if you think it's a competition you will always loose. there are so many amazing climbers out there and naturally talented or not they do it for themselves. climb when you get the itch and you WILL get better period. the view is better at the top!
Andrew
climbersconnect.com

By Bud Martin
From Bozeman, MT
Sep 17, 2010
I shoot for 8-9

But more seriously after 3-5 days on I usually look for one off.

By Woodchuck ATC
Sep 17, 2010
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Fred Beckey would suggest 7 days I'd guess.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Sep 17, 2010
Bocan
Zach Wahrer wrote:

They signed up to be a troll...