how far will you drive for a weekend climbing trip
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By mike526
From schaumburg
May 22, 2011

Just curious what your cut off point is for a weekend of climbing. been debating taking a trip somewhere. I usually climb at devils lake, but am wondering if the 6 hour drive to SO Ill for a day and a half of climbing is worth it. Also been considering going to the red but not sure if driving all night friday to climb saturday and half of sunday is worth it.

whats your cut off limit for a weekend trip.

By Brian Abram
From Columbia, SC
May 22, 2011
Brian Abram, leading pitch 2 of Dinkus Dog on the South Side of Looking Glass.  Kyle Sox is belaying.

2.5 hours is a minimal drive for me: day trips. 3.5 hours is usually only done for a full 2 days. 5 hours (New River Gorge) is rare for me, though friends do it all the time. Red River Gorge is 7, and I've never been in 13 years of climbing.

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Yoda

with all the climbs, and then stacks of legal BASE jumping. 5 hours to Moab is usually very worth it.

By Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
May 22, 2011
Growing a winter coat in Red Rock Canyon- December 2013.

For a two day climbing/ adventure filled weekend we've driven as much as 5-6 hours each way but we try to head out after working the swing shift on our Friday( to make it worth our time) and usually will head back home in the late eve hours; at times arriving back to Vegas as late as 3am. It helps to have someone else to share the driving. That said, it's fairly common for us to do a 3-4 hour drive each way on a two day climbing, and/ or outdoor activity weekend without stressing.

EDIT: it helps to be packed, and ready to go a day or two ahead of time so you waste no time in heading out.

By mike526
From schaumburg
May 22, 2011

So i guess i should sack up and make the trip back down the southern ill 6 hours from chicago for a day and a half two days of climbing.

By sunder
From Alsip, Il
ICE PIT 2011

Hey mike im down on the southside in alsip not too far way from you.

I have made multiple weekend trips to SoILL and RRG

Devils lake 3-4 hours 200 miles
SoILL is about 5-6 hours 323miles
RRG is about 6-7 hours 412miles

In my opoinion going to SoILL is worth the extra drive, but if you going to drive 5-6 hours you might as well go to RRG for only an extra hour of driving the quality and quanity of climbs is so much better!!!! unless your a bouldered then go to SoILL

Typical RRG weekend. Fri leave at 5-6 arrive at 12-2am. Climb allday sat. Wakeup early sun climb untile 3-4pm and get home at 11-12AM. Mondays kinds sucks but its worth it!

By Jeremy Kasmann
From Denver, CO

mike526 wrote:

Definitely. 6 hours is very doable in a weekend and worth it.

By jack s.
From Kamloops, BC
Mean Green P2

I 'll go up to 14 hours away, although I usually like to keep it under 8 hours. I work 4 tens though, so I have a little more time than most. The good news is that 8 hours gets me to many fine climbing destinations. The bad news is that 6 hours gets me to very few worthwhile climbing destinations. It takes a lot of effort, but it is so worth it to get to climb.

By Anthony O.
From Boulder, CO
May 22, 2011
One of my first action shots

I've done 8 hours before for a day trip. Drove from Jackson to Elko, NV. Snowboarded a line on my ticklist (Terminal Cancer), then drove back to Jackson. Oh ya, this was the day after an 8 hour drive from Boulder to Jackson to meet up with a friend. Spur of the moment trip.

By Owen Darrow
From Garmisch,
Nice view

I would say three hours is about max for me but in winter I will extend that a little bit for warm weather windows.

By Jeff House

From rapid city sd
Wind river range 2013

hour is the usual, 3 to devils lake anything crazy 8-9 to Rapid City

By Travis Spaulding
From Las Vegas, NV.
May 22, 2011
The first pitch belay on Chips and Salsa (5.3) Red Rocks, NV.

I'm with GiGi on the packing ahead of time, it saves a ton of hassle to have that and a general game plan in place. We are pretty lucky in Vegas, in that we have ton of options available well within the 3 hour range. Josh is just slightly farther at 3 and a half.

As far as weekend trip go, I will drive up to 5 hours but that's about my cutoff. Anything longer then that, like the Valley, I only do when I have several days off.

By Brent Butcher
route photo

7-8 hours

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
OMG, I winz!!!

I'd totally do 6 hrs if the climbing or trip is good. I've done Moab for the weekend a ton.

By KENtucky
From Richmond, Ky
FAIL <br />

How about taking that train to say alton il or stl or even farther meet up with one of us and head down you will save a ton of gas money and you can sleep on the way home..

By mike526
From schaumburg
May 22, 2011

hey Ken i may take you up on that offer, i'm not the greatest climber but hell just getting out there and climbing is what matters to me the most. i'll keep your offer in mind

Mike

By 1Eric Rhicard
It is a good sized roof. Photo: Jimbo

6.5 hours

By Doug Lintz
From Kearney, NE
Destroyer of popcorn

I've done plenty of 8 hour drives to Shelf. Since I recently moved it's only 7 hours but even that gets old.

By JJNS
May 22, 2011

Get it while you can. Its going to become a question of money not time as the gas prices keep going up.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
May 23, 2011
El Chorro

I've made a 12 hour round trip to do one route.

By Seth Derr
From harrisburg, pa
May 23, 2011
Hey there!

Funny i actually had this conversation with some friends about a month ago. I'll do up to 3 hours for a day trip. 4 hours is drive up the night before, camp, climb, then drive home. 5-6 hours for a weekend. 8-10 hours i need at least 3 days. Anything over 10 i'm flying.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
May 23, 2011
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

about 7 hours is my max

By jarthur
From Westminster, CO
May 23, 2011
My dogs got ups yo!

I've done the New River Gorge from Raleigh, NC plenty of times. It's about 4 hrs if you haul ass and don't make any stops. However it's not fun, because I usually fell asleep at the wheel coming home and had to pull over to let someone else drive.

I've only ever done day trips to Shelf Road from Westminster. My quickest one way is 2 hrs 15 mins. Most people I've talked to think day trips to Shelf are crazy, but as much as I love that place I don't find climbing there two days in a row that awesome. Besides 2-1/2 hrs was pretty normal for day trips to Boone (3 hrs), Moore's Wall, Pilot Mtn, or Sauratown (2-1/2 hrs).

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>