Hiring Climbers/Carpenters for Tree House building

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Nov 11, 2013
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior
Thought I would try here first. Salt Lake City and Surrounding Area. I need to hire 2-3 people for building tree houses(theses are not your average kids club house tree houses). I am looking for people that are not afraid of heights and comfortable hanging around on ropes 40+ feet up in trees working. You would need to know your way around carpenter tools, have an aptitude for building and be able to think on your feet.
I have a job coming up in a couple of weeks that I need to add to my crew. This build will last six weeks with jobs lined up beyond that if you work out for me.
Pay is based on experience...
Access to equipment deals and gear allowance...
Please PM me if you are interested. An interview will probably include an afternoon out climbing to see if we get along and I can trust you...I am on the site working 10 hours a day unless the ice comes in then maybe a little less.
Dallen

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Nov 11, 2013
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior
Have had some interest still looking for good people.
Dallen

By Brett Thompson
From Washington State
Nov 11, 2013
where are you building at? i have worked as a framer for about a year

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Nov 14, 2013
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior
Still need help. I have a couple of really good responses. I am looking for another one or two people.
Dallen

By Woodchuck ATC
Nov 14, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
You know these climber/carpenters are going to turn your plans for a tree house into an awesome tree-house-climbing wall combo, whether you like it or not. That should be pretty cool for the kids.

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Nov 15, 2013
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior
The family I am building for, would be open to that. So far on this project, I have built 5 platforms with ladders, stairs and 2 bridges linking the platforms. The highest "house" is 40 ft in the air. I have put in a zip line. Now I am looking for help in building another house with a 70 ft bridge connecting it to the rest of the structures. One of my favorite parts so far on this job is the highest platform (crows nest), when the wind blows, you feel like you are riding on the mast of a sailing ship.

Dallen

By zoso
Nov 15, 2013
Dallen,
Post some pics and show off a bit.

By Maurice Chaunders
Dec 2, 2013
Colombian Crack
Yeah, post some pics!

By jersey
From park city, utah
Dec 2, 2013
zion wall monkey
sounds cool, i'm a carpenter and climber and have dabbled in this sort of thing, like to check out what you have going on. you can e-mail me your contact info to jerseydave@hotmail.com

By climberbum2
From Park City, Utah
Dec 4, 2013
climbing
If you are still looking for help. i would love to you can call me at 801 244 3711. but ice is now in so we could just go do some of that as well.
Dan

By Woodchuck ATC
Dec 4, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
waiting to see some cool pics of the work done !!!

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Dec 5, 2013
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior
Ok here are some of the platforms that are complete. I have more to finish and that is why I am looking for help.
Looking at the tree with 3 platforms in it

Light in one of the branches

Building around branches
Building around branches

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Dec 5, 2013
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
Hey Dallen-

Awesome work. Nice professional looking product. I built decks and did finish carpentry for about a decade- the last four years of which I worked for myself lining up short contracts with builders developing cookie-cutter neighborhoods.

Anyway, I can't really be any help to you because I'm on the east coast, but I do have a question:

How are you fastening the support beams that run from the underside of the band back down to the trunk of the tree?

I've drawn up plans before that look almost identical to yours, but I could never come up with an absolutely bombproof way of connecting the support members to the tree- other than to have a small band that runs around below the main deck that the support members would tie into.

It doesn't appear that you have done that, but the pic isn't clear enough zoomed so that I can see what you have done.

Also, do you do anything to allow for growth, or do you generally try to stick to very mature trees? I always wondered about that as well.

Awesome job on the notched post steps. Beats the hell out of cutting stringers, and it looks more "treehousey". Great work man.

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Dec 5, 2013
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior
Jake,
There are several ways to attach the treehouse to the tree. I primarily use TABs (Treehouse Anchor Bolts) and floating TABs. The key is to not have wood on wood (can cause rot) The TABs allow for tree growth. I frame the holes around the trees so they can be expanded as the tree grows. But yes using mature trees helps a lot.
TABs go into the tree then a floating bracket that fits on each TAB is mounted onto the beams/joists which make up the start of the floor. You build out the floor like you would frame a normal structure (somewhat). Its a little more complicated then that but that is how it works in a nutshell.
Thanks for the compliment. It is a ton of fun building these. The highest platform in 40 feet off the ground. Super fun to work on when the wind is blowing. The little kid really gets a chance to come out . We have installed a 170 foot zip line and I am designing an actual house that fits into another set of trees on this property and will have a 70 ft bridge connecting it to these platforms.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Dec 5, 2013
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.
Makes complete sense. I knew there had to be a specific design for that purpose. Thanks man. Good work.

By josh holmes
Dec 6, 2013
a picture of rocks
Looks really nice, Sunny-D! Reminds me of a friends side job in Marin County, heard of a guy nick named trundlesby?

By Jake T
From Prescott AZ
Dec 7, 2013
Hiya Sunny, You might consider calling a few local arborists. I own a small tree care company here in central Arizona and buiding a treehouse would be an awesome project. I think most of us (tree climbers) would be pretty phsyched on the idea. As well as having a bunch of rigging hardware tree climbers *should* be able to move around in the tree a good bit faster than your average rock climber. Good luck
Jake T

By The Farley
Dec 7, 2013
Out In NV. Photo by D. Salazar
Nice Work Dallen-

By james22
May 28, 2014
Pretty amazing pictures of tree houses. Till now I thought the best ones are compiled at ranker.com/list/coolest-tree-h... but I feel I was wrong. Some of tree houses shown here are truly magnificent.

By Ian White
From Dubois, Wyoming
May 28, 2014
When you get a chance, you may want to look into a product called Paclobutrazol. It's a tree growth regulator. After one year you can see 95% growth control. Would definitely help with mitigating issues from the tree growing enough to cause problems. I'm an ISA Certified Arborist and we use it a lot with great success.

By Jake Scott
From Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Jun 19, 2014
I just moved out to Utah and would love to work for you.

Contact me at 814-688-8025
I'm 22 with experience climbing and some carpentry skills.

Thanks,
Jake

By Danny Cox
From Ogden, Utah
Jun 19, 2014
Hi Im Daniel, im 20 and this job sounds awesome! I love to climb and have some Carpentry skills. Let me know if you still need help.
My number is 801-941-5123.
email: greentodannytoo@gmail.com