High Wasatch snow conditions?

By earl mcalister
From idaho
Apr 16, 2012
me

Has anyone been up above ten thousand feet in the Wasatch lately? How soft/deep are things up there? Am thinking about the Pfeiferhorn (north ridge) and maybe the grunge coulair on Timp this next weekend.

By Brendan N. (grayhghost)
From Salt Lake City, Utah
Apr 17, 2012

North, east, west faces are soft but not bottomless powder. South faces are supportable crust. You would have a hard time approaching without snowshoes or skis.

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Apr 17, 2012
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.

I tried Broads Fork Twin Peaks just before this latest storm hit via Lisa Falls. The snow was pretty variable until about 9 AM. Then it turned to pure garbage. If you want to get out on south faces, get out early! It's going to be pretty bad spring climbing conditions for a little bit though, snow looks like it'll fall patchily for the next couple days.

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Apr 17, 2012
Me scaring years off my mom's life

I was thinking about the Pfeiferhorn too. If you get out there, can you post up on conditions?

By earl mcalister
From idaho
May 7, 2012
me

Skinned and skied to the top of Baldy and Devil's Castle yesterday. Very icy on shady aspects until after noon. Skied Deseret Peak today. Icy all day at the top of both couloirs we skied but turned to decent corn and quickly to slush lower down. Very easy and fast crampon travel early in the morning. The Pfeif should be good to go if you get there early to keep the rock frozen in place. We are thinking of doing it Wednesday.

By Trevor
From Cottonwood Heights, UT
May 8, 2012
Solo Ascent - October 21, 2008 - taken from Scout's Lookout

Pfeiferhorn from S. Ridge of Superior 5/5/12
Pfeiferhorn from S. Ridge of Superior 5/5/12

S. Ridge Superior 5/5/12
S. Ridge Superior 5/5/12

I went up S. Ridge of Superior on Saturday...

By Eric Bonin
May 8, 2012
my dog

What would be a good place for some competent climbers and backcountry skiers to go this spring?

By Shaun Greene
From www.UtahShaun.com
May 8, 2012
Hand Jive

Conditions as of a couple days ago. Looks like he was right at the base of Pfeif...

www.wowasatch.com/Journal-2011-12/May-12/may-6-12.html

Looked ok to me ;)

By Kevin Chuba
From Salt Lake City, UT
May 14, 2012
There it is

North East ridgeline of Box Elder
North East ridgeline of Box Elder

Conditions are looking grim for skiing as of Saturday May 12th. Great day to summit though. Early morning snow was solid. Only punched through a few times. No snowshoes required

By Matt Wolski
From Salt Lake City
May 15, 2012
...took a 20 ft'er about five minutes after this pic was snapped : )

Skied Pipeline on the American Fork Twin Peaks this morning. Thought conditions were pretty good for climbing and skiing. Ran into a Wasatch Old G on the summit. It wasn't Fred Becky but of the same generation. He had a wooden piolet and duct tape around his gaiters. Sounds like he's been climbing all over the high country. Earl, he saw our tracks on the Pfeif from last week. Didn't catch his name but got me stoked to make some turns.

Also, there's a decent amount of ice up there. Thinner and harder than I'm into but it's there.

By Kyle Blase
From Salt Lake City, UT
May 31, 2012
hardcore unicycle!

Has anyone been up to lone peak lately? If so,what are the snow conditions like?

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
May 31, 2012
The route in it's entirety.

www.utahclimbers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3485