Ice Climbing Silo- South Suburbs of Chicago! Private and Open Climbing
   Page 1 of 8.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

By Juggler
Dec 12, 2011
Ice at SR

Open Climbing:

Great Ice and no long drive in the snow! Call to confirm your attendance- 708-341-3255- Joel

$25 climb fee if you have your own gear. $50 with gear rental.

PM me with your plans to attend and for location details. Thanks

We have started our silo tower in South Suburbs of Chicago.

If you can make it call me at 708-341-3255 right away and I will give you costs and location details. You must commit to coming out before location will be revealed.

We have gear for rent and a heated lounge area

Checkout our Facebook Group page:

www.facebook.com/groups/108607705892132/

We will be farming ice all the time(when temps permit) that we can and will post updates in this thread so keep watching HERE
Thanks

Ice at SR

S Denny wrote:
leashes are required? weird

Leashes are Optional- N

By ebnhils
Dec 13, 2011

You would think insurance would want you to tie in correctly, not using a carabiner through the belay loop.

By Juggler
Ice at SR

UPDATE: Will Gadd, expert ice climber, has said that climbing with a carabiner locked into your BELAY loop is perfectly fine!

By Marc H
From Lafayette, CO

Juggler wrote:
Yes, we do usually, though this way helps keep your hands warmer. It is usually tough to tie in with gloves and leashes on and it moves things quicker.

As long as your hands are staying warm and you're moving as many people through the silo as possible (to make as much money as possible), I'm sure your insurance company will be OK with it. Haha

By NickinCO
From colorado
Dec 14, 2011
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

Wow.. taking a lot of grief for this... It's Chicago and it's climbable... I guess when you live in Colorado you really don't see the issue =) I don't think there's any ice left after all this rain anyways.

By S Denny
From Carbondale, CO
Dec 14, 2011

didn't realize this was commercial... thought it was more of a boys club deal

By Juggler
Ice at SR

Yes, no ice right now but we start making ice again Thurs. night.

Our group is a non profit club and we do have guest passes and memberships if anyone needs info. We are NOT commercial. Thanks

By Erik Tasker
Yosemite

ebnhils wrote:

Haha! +1

By Andy Novak
From Golden, Co
Living the High Life.

You guys look like the biggest nOObs ever. Just Sayin.

By Juggler
Ice at SR

We usually climb it with NO ropes! LOL That takes away the whole issue.... just sayin :)

By J. Albers
From Colorado
Bucky

Andy Novak wrote:
You guys look like the biggest nOObs ever. Just Sayin.

Given your comment, perhaps you guys have something in common then. Just sayin.

By Juggler
Ice at SR

J. Albers wrote:
Given your comment, perhaps you guys have something in common then. Just sayin.

Just sayin....AMEN. The end

By roger fritz from rockford, IL
Wichita Mountains, Sunshine Wall

I am a Illinois Ice climber and I am quite envious that you have a ice silo at your fingertips. I enjoy the 2-6 hour drive to get to good ice, but in the back yard...awesome!

By Bud Martin
From Bozeman, MT

Juggler wrote:
Thanks...not so weird, really

Nope, pretty weird.

By Juggler
Ice at SR

roger fritz wrote:

Thanks.. it is nice to have this available. Join us sometime. Check here for updates. Your words of support are appreciated

Look who stopped by to climb:

Ho Ho...
Ho Ho...

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Dec 15, 2011
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Dude, I loved the Battle of the Just Sayins. Awesome.

Have fun with your silo ice, you Chicagoans!

By Woodchuck ATC
Dec 15, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Several articles have been written in the mags over the years covering the 'woes of a midwest climber'. It continues and we adjust for what we can get each year. We can't all live in rock and ice country.

By roger fritz from rockford, IL
Dec 15, 2011
Wichita Mountains, Sunshine Wall

In your 2nd photo of the thick ice last year, you wrote: "built in hazards". I love to climb big icicles! There is something about placing tools and crampons into hangers and keeping them intact for the next guy to try! I call that a built in opportunity! Just sayin!

By S Denny
From Carbondale, CO
Dec 15, 2011

this thread delivers, just sayin'

By Matt Glue
From Boulder, CO
Dec 16, 2011

Long shot, but I really doubt you have boots/'pons for rent? Might be fun to drag my siblings up to Chicago for day or two while home in St. Louis for the holidays. Would also be my first ice of this warm-ass Northeast season!

By Juggler
Dec 16, 2011
Ice at SR

Matt Glue wrote:

• * Yes, we have all you need for rent(depends on sizes-not too small but cramps should go on most sturdy boots you have).

Keep checking here to see when we have ice again. Thanks

By Danielyaris
From Salem, OR
Jan 1, 2012
Me in the cascades

lol this is great!!!

I used to live in Wisconsin so I know what it's like.

By Juggler
Jan 3, 2012
Ice at SR

Ice is flowing again but maybe not for long with the warm temps.
coming again!!! :(